Double X Speedway
May 22, 2016
By: Dean Reichel
For Immediate Release–
Randy Martin made his first visit to Double-X Speedway Sunday night one for the books as he parked his #14 winged sprint car in victory lane for a slightly emotional and crowd pleasing feature win. Starting third on the grid, Martin settled into third behind leader Jonathan Cornell and young shoe Ben Brown. The sprint car veteran passed young Brown on lap 5 and began to look for Cornell who had opened up a straightaway lead on the field. In an uncharacteristic slip, Cornell spun a 360 degree spin in turn 1 which caused an automatic caution flag on the track relegating him to the end of the lead lap cars. Martin inherited the lead on the ensuing restart which was negated as Taylor Walton tumbled off of turn 4 bringing out the red flag. Racing resumed on lap six with Martin in the lead and Cornell moving up through the field. After a caution on lap nine Martin still led followed by Brown, TJ Muths and Cornell. A lap later Cornell would move into third and on lap twelve he would overtake Brown for the second spot. By this time, Martin had a comfortable lead but a yellow after the completion of lap fifteen would bring Cornell to the rear bumper of the #14. Martin lead the next six laps with Cornell trying to mount a challenge. Meanwhile Tyler Blank had moved into third bringing Evan Martin to fourth with Muths holding the number five spot. The red flag flew at the completion of lap 21 as Ben Brown made contact with the front stretch wall and continued his string of tough luck this season with a dramatic flip at the flag stand. A four lap dash would decide the outcome of the event, with Cornell trying every move he could, the veteran Martin claimed the victory. In victory lane Martin congratulated the hard charging Cornell and also credited his brother Ronnie Martin for putting the winning setup under the black #14. Following Martin and Cornell under the checkered flag, Blank came home a strong third, Evan Martin claimed fourth and youngster Miles Paulus was fifth. Another young shoe Broc Elliott was sixth at the stripe. Ben Brown and Cornell claimed the heat races for the evening.
The very competitive street stock class saw another “old guy” claim his first victory at Double-X in 2016. Steve Beach of Eldon, put his #10 machine into victory lane in his second trip to the track this year. Beach had to keep hard charging Cole Henson at bay throughout the 15 lap affair. The duo would run 1-2 the entire event with a lot of shuffling and racing taking place behind them. Point leader Derek Henson would ultimately claim third, with visitor Dean Willie finishing fourth and last week’s feature winner Harlan Dowell rounding out the top five. Beach and Cole Henson were victorious in the heat races.
The 600cc Micro Sprints saw a familiar face in victory lane at Warrensburg driver Kameron Key put the 7JR machine in victory lane. Jimmy Dowell drove a great race claiming second over hard charging Nick Rasa. Garrett Hulsey was fourth in his first visit to Double X in 2016 and Randy Corpening was fifth in his debut as well. Dowell claimed the lone heat race in the class.
Rudy Wirts continued his winning ways in the Hobby Stock class, claiming his fourth feature win in as many tries. He had to work his way around veteran Mike Schrader who led early and came home second with Chuck Coffey third, Laura Atkinson fourth and Chris Brockert completing the top five. Wirts also captured the heat race victory.
Next Sunday night the ASCS Warrior Region cars take to the track for the annual “Tribute to Jesse and Daniel” event featuring the “Take it to the Tail Hockett Style Challenge” Be sure to attend one of the highlight events on the Warrior schedule.
The owners and staff of Double-X extend a great thanks to the racers and fans that attend each week. Thanks to the efforts of all we are getting the races done in a timely manner. Your continued support is very appreciated. Be sure to keep up with the Double-X Speedway Fan Page on Facebook for information.
Double-X Speedway Results
May 22, 2016–
Winged Sprint Cars=
1. 14- Randy Martin, California; 2. 28-Jonathan Cornell, Sedalia; 3. 75-Tyler Blank, California; 4. 4-Evan Martin, California; 5. 48-Miles Paulus, Marshall; 6. 75E-Broc Elliott, California; 7. 65-TJ Muths, Sedalia; 8. 12c-Nic Crank, Sedalia; 9. 56H-Dean Hathman, Rocheport; 10. 49B-Ben Brown, Marshall; 11. 49-Tyler Elliott, California; 12. 93- Taylor Walton, Warrensburg
1. Brown; 2. R. Martin; 3. Blank; 4. E. Martin; 5. Hathman; 6. B. Elliott
1. Cornell; 2. Muths; 3. Paulus;4. Walton; 5. T. Elliott; 6. Crank
1. 10- Steve Beach, Eldon; 2. 31C-Cole Henson, Russellville; 3. 27D-Derek Henson, Russellville; 4. 7X-Dean Willie, Warrensburg; 5. 29-Harlan Dowell, Tipton; 6. 8- John Clancy,Jr., California; 7. 7- Evan Hays, California; 8. 29D- Destiny Dowell, Tipton; 9. 8UP- Jeff Offerman, California; 10, 30C- Terry Schultz, Sedalia; 11. H3-Andrew Roark, Henley
1. Beach; 2. Roark; 3. Schultz; 4. Clancy,Jr.; 5. D. Dowell; 6. Hays
1. C. Henson; 2. Willie; 3. D.Henson; 4 Offerman; 5. H. Dowell
1. 2X-Rudy Wirts, California; 2. 11-Mike Schrader, Sedalia; 3. 171-Chuck Coffey, Windsor; 4. 4A-Laura Atkinson, Eldon; 5. 82- Chris Brockert, Versailles; 6. 84-Jeremiah Wallingford, Prairie Home; (DNS) 10-Curtis Schaeffer, Lincoln
1. Wirts; 2. Schrader; 3. Atkinson; 4. Coffey; 5. Brockert; 6. Wallingford; (DNS) Schaeffer
600cc Micro Sprints=
1. 7JRK- Kameron Key, Warrensburg; 2. 88J-Jimmy Dowell, Boonville; 3. 26B-Nick Rasa, Sedalia; 4. 88G-Garrett Hulsey, Lone Jack; 5.20-Randy Corpening, Versailles; 6. 37-Ethan Green, Boonville; 7. 749-Kyle Schlotz, Jefferson City
1. Dowell; 2. Key; 3.Schlotz; 4. Rasa; 5. Hulsey; 6. Corpening; 7. Green(DNS)