Ken Schrader Wins in Full Night of Racing at Plymouth Speedway

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
By: Anita Soltis

(Plymouth, IN) A beautiful day turned into an even better night for racing at Plymouth Speedway Saturday night in the second of a two-day weekend of features.

ARCA driver and former NASCAR driver Ken Schrader took home the first place trophy after dominating the field in the Swan Lake Resort UMP Modifieds race. Schrader used the high groove of the racetrack to overtake leader Frank Marshall and didn’t give up the position. Marshall attempted to challenge Schrader after several cautions were called, but couldn’t capitalize on a run. Marshall would finish in the second position. The 2014 division champion Jamie Lomax started seventh and stealthily moved through the field to claim the third position on the night.

“This is really a wonderful surface,” said Schrader. “The only time I had mistakes was when I got into some marbles on the top of the track, but the new surface is going to produce some more great racing as time goes on.”

Justin Bell was able to pick up his first feature win on the season in the Dickies Restaurant 600 Open Sprints. He started on the pole and led all 20 laps in the feature. Bradley Jameson, who ran in the previous UMP Modifieds feature, got in his 600 Open Sprint and quickly moved into the second spot. Jameson got close to Bell on a few restarts to battle for the lead, but Bell’s race car was king in clean air. Jameson would keep the second spot on the podium. Bud McCune worked his way up to the third position in the first part of the race and stayed there for his first top-three finish of the season.

“That was a workout! Thank you to everyone at the track for putting together a great surface for us tonight,” smiled Bell.

John Rhoads remains flawless in the Walmart Thunder Stocks division. Rhoads started on the outside pole, but didn’t waste any time getting to the front of the field. Jim Henson, Tom Grall and pole-sitter Danny Dykhuizen battled for the last two spots on the podium on the last lap. They got together in the middle of turns three and four. Henson was able to come out second while Grall finished third. Dykhuizen ended up fifth in the incident. Rhoads had a 8.9 second lead on the second place runner at the end of the feature. He is undefeated this season.

“I’m pleased with how great my car is this season. It helps that I get good track position, too. We’re spending two to three hours a night a week on the car to get it right. I’m just really happy with my car,” commented Rhoads.

David Short continued his winning ways in the WTCA Super Streets feature Saturday night. He started in the sixth position and was soon battling Roger Duszynski for the second spot on the track. Short got the lead coming out of turn four on the second lap. Duszynski and Randy Akers then went door-to-door for the rest of the feature for the right to the second place trophy. Akers put in a good effort, but Duszynski kept Akers in the rear view mirror for second and third.

“The track was the slickest it’s been this season,” said Short. “We had the car to beat tonight.”

The Bane-Welker Cyber Stock feature found Ryan Lagestee and Christian Wynbett at the top of the running order looking for the lead early in the feature. They were side-by-side on lap three and swapped the lead for the next lap. Lagestee came out ahead with Wynbett running in the second position. Richard Loraff, who started last in the feature, got by three other competitors to pick up the third spot. Loraff made a late race effort for second, but Wynbett kept the position. Lagestee won the feature followed by Wynbett and Loraff.

“The Cyber Stock division is inexpensive and one of the most fun to run in. Anybody can contact me and I’ll help them get started,” noted Lagestee.

The 2015 Warsaw Speedway Stock Car driver inductees were honored Saturday night. They include: Arnold Prater, Shane Denny, John Fitzpatrick, Randy Woodling, Harvey Hayes, Glenn Bradley, Larry Montel, the late Dan Backus, Robert Johnson, the late Bob Johnson, and LC Drabenstott.

Another back-to-back weekend of racing takes over the Playground of Power on May 29 and May 30 when the USAC National Midgets come to race. The drivers will race Friday and Saturday. The 410 Open Sprints will join the USAC cars on Friday night. The USAC National Midgets will join all of the regular divisions on Saturday for a full night of racing. Hot laps begin at 6 p.m. and racing begins at 7 p.m. ET both nights. For more information, including a deal on tickets, visit www.plymouthspeedway.net.

About Plymouth Speedway:
Plymouth Speedway features a three-eighths (0.375) mile banked dirt oval owned by Ed Kennedy. Five different classes of racing are featured: UMP Modifieds, Non-wing 600 Sprints, Thunder Stocks, Cyber Stocks and Super Streets. Regular season races are scheduled in the months of April through August on Saturday nights with several special events. For information, visit www.plymouthspeedway.net, follow Plymouth Speedway’s official Facebook page, @PlymouthSpeed on Twitter or email info@plymouthspeedway.net.

Back