If you could go back in time and watch a race where will it be (track) and what race (event)??

nathans1012

If you could go back in time and watch a race where will it be (track) and what race (event)??
Track / Location ----- Year (If you remember) ----- Race Event

Track / Location ----- Year (If you remember) ----- Race Event
Really interesting question, and one I have an answer for! I even know the date- July 18, 1981. My 2 cousins raced Late Models in the MD-PA-VA-DE area. The older of the 2, for a few months, had a top-notch ride with an owner who went through drivers like toilet paper, as the saying goes. The younger was racing weekly at our local track, Dorsey Speedway in MD. I had to choose between Dorsey or an NDRA race at Hagerstown, MD. I chose to stay local. My older cousin had run second to Buck Simmons earlier that week at Georgetown DE Speedway, and that night at Hagerstown he qualified on outside front row alongside Simmons. he actually had the lead for the first 40 laps or so until the motor dropped a cylinder and he was still in the top 5 late when he dropped out. Would have loved to see him leading all those legendary drivers! No regrets, though- the other cousin won that night on the way to winning the track championship! I posted pictures of this recently on a Facebook page called "Remembering the NDRA". I highly recommend the page, lots of great pictures and facts.

don't go into shock but I have won a few features - one at the Charlie bowl that I out ran ed Dixon and 2 at Bellville--beat art gross in a HOBBY CAR(first second for him all year1) in the 70s and beat the greatest local driver EVER--DANDY DON by inches-- I would love to see videos of those races---

One night at granite city probably about 5 years ago. Dean Hoffman and Michael Long trading sliders and battling tooth and nail in the feature on a really rough track. Long ended up spinning out going for the lead with a couple laps to go, but thats been the race that sticks out to me ever since.

don't go into shock but I have won a few features - one at the Charlie bowl that I out ran ed Dixon and 2 at Bellville--beat art gross in a HOBBY CAR(first second for him all year1) in the 70s and beat the greatest local driver EVER--DANDY DON by inches-- I would love to see videos of those races---
Saw you many times at st.charles, gave Dixon Hammerle Klein all they could stand.

Also used to run the king of the hill races at tri city. Remember one night rick stevenson and i beleive it was ray walsh ran door to door for two laps and i mean door to door! Wow was a race to remember

Godfrey Speedway, October 1988. The first Shaheen Memorial race. 60ish sprints there, including most of the All Star Circuit of Champions, a couple of Outlaws, and all of the area regulars. Donnie Beecher had the thing won, but had driveline failure. Sammy Swindell inherited the lead and went on to win.

That might have been the coldest I have ever been at a racetrack.

DeSoto Speedway any race night between '70 - '72. Watching Klein, Mallory, Forshee, O'Harver, Couch, and the others. Don't know why, but dad took me to a lot of races during that era, and we saw some battles. Klein in his prime driving the Berry Auto Parts coupe was the man to beat, and we saw many good battles between him and Gordon Mallory. Prolly few on this site that were around back then. But if you were, you saw some fast, clean racing, and one of the best ever to do it impose his will early and often.

2003 mopar million at eldora. Troy cline starts the C main in 21st and runs 4th to get the final transfer to the B. He won the D main. Started 24th in the B and ran 16th. Slide jobs galore!!!!!

B Shep winning his first big race at 1-55 about 4-5 years ago. He damn near lapped the field on the bottom.

I wish Marler and Schrader could figure out how to bring the i-55nationals back to their former glory,those were great races!

I agree with chevy power. Especially during the late 70's. Wib Spalding, Russ, Mike, and occasionally Rusty Wallace, C.C. Corbin, Kevin Gundaker, Kenny Schrader, Bill Meyers, Len Gittemeier, Bill Laycock, Rod Baily, Ron Fischer, Kenny Schrum and Rick Standridge just to name a few. Most of those guys drove cars they built in their garages. Camaro's, Chevelle's Nova's, Mustangs and Mopar cars with steel bodies. No cookie cutter cars back then. Great drivers on a great 1/2 mile track. Not to mention when the USAC Sprints and midgets, WOO sprints and NDRA late models came through. IMO nothing has been better since. Man,I miss that 1/2 mile.

Brian

Last edited:

Back