For Those Who Have Attended Chili Bowl & Gateway LM/Mod Show

ghost67

What can Gateway do to keep momentum going. It's easy to find the challenges, but what can be done to overcome the challenges? PLEASE KEEP THIS POSITIVE

Parking - dirt car fans hate to pay for parking. how much did you have to pay? anyone find free close parking? I would doubt it in downtown STL

Crowd Feel - when you leave your seat at Chili Bowl between races to go to concessions - there is a huge crowd of people all going to the same area. At Gateway you go to the stand closest to your area of seating. This has pro's and con's

I didn't goto chili bowl, but gateway just has to keep working and learning the dirt to make racing better from start to finish. The racing was pretty good for the most part, but could always improve.

I parked the first day for $20 connected to the dome, $10 a piece the next 2 across the street. Not terrible, but don't like to pay to park either.

The main issue I see with the dome is driver related. Some just have no patience or respect and want to get to the front by any means necessary. Not sure how to fix that one other than maybe a one caution and you're done.

Went to the Dome and Just got back from the Chili Bowl. As far as atmosphere, they both are great, but the history and the dedicated fans that attend the Chili Bowl year after year can't be matched... not yet anyway, that takes time to build. As far as parking, it was free at the Chili Bowl as all parking is on the lot of the Expo center and neighboring lots are not needed. The big issue is the dirt. The Chili Bowl uses good dirt that can pack and build a cushion giving you 2 equal lanes. They did take more time than usual this year on track prep in Tulsa. For whatever reason the fumes were far worse at the Chili Bowl this year. Concessions were about the same. We never waited more than a couple of minutes at either place. The dome definitely offers more restrooms, the lines in Tulsa at time were pretty bad. But, I will say there was a hell of a lot more drinking going on at the Chili Bowl as you can carry anything in and they also sell beer & shots in the pit area! If you haven't been to the Chili Bowl, buy a pit pass, get there early and put a blanket down or you will not have a seat. It gets extremely crowded and Friday and even worse Saturday. The reserved seats all sell out, but they never stop selling pit passes. and pit pass seating is limited. Also, if you go, get a seat in turn 2, the guys i the top row are insane. They make the show a blast. The biggest downfall of the Gateway Dirt race was the lack of security watching haulers on the parking lot. We all know where the Dome is located and what's on the north side. This should have been thought out and planned for. You can not have too much security outside. No excuses. Hopefully it doesn't run off the guys that had the misfortune of being broken into. Im sure a lesson has been learned.

Last edited:
We parked a mile from the house in Illinois and rode the train to the dome. $5.00 instead of fighting traffic down town.

That is one advantage to the City, is the ability to use Uber, taxis, Metrolink, and other methods to get there and park.

Back