No Grooving right rear tire.

July 1st - July 29th:
LM 20s only on RF, LF and LR.
LM 20, 30 or 40 on RR - No Grooving RR.

July 30th and beyond:
LM 20s only on RF, LF and LR.
LM 20, 30 or 40 on RR
No Grooving ANY tire!

On the last tri-city post they said every track was on board with the same tire rule, This is a good rule but no one is on board so I think all you promoters better get a clue!!!!! 4 tires for every track!!!!! Really

Everybody is on the same tire rule expect 2 tracks. Were doing everything we can to get everybody to work together. Nothing we can do if they change their mind.

On the last tri-city post they said every track was on board with the same tire rule, This is a good rule but no one is on board so I think all you promoters better get a clue!!!!! 4 tires for every track!!!!! Really

To Quote you on your comment about buying tires for dome race....... " If you can't afford to buy tires..... you shouldn't be in a late model"!!!!!! lol

I am not worried about buying tires, but a lot of people are and they are the ones that are on here Bitching for months, I hear it every day in my shop from every racer that walks through the door. So that being said why cant the race tracks get together to help the sport instead of hurting it.

You all know what's coming from me! This is not good for racing. One compound...a hard one is needed. And to answer Voigts question...promoters would rather suck UMP and Sammys ass than to stick up for racers! That has been proven!

The Purple mafia is controlling UMP racing and no one cares!

"promoters would rather suck UMP and Sammys ass than to stick up for racers!"

Kiss my ass. I've spent 50 times more time on the phone with racers and other promoters than I have with Sam or anyone at UMP regarding a desire to have a unified weekly racing tire rule in the late model class. Just last night I had a phone conversation with a couple of drivers regarding their current tire inventory and estimating tire inventory of other teams to figure out an effective plan to burn-off tires that we don't plan to use for weekly racing events in the long term. UMP and "Sammy" wasn't involved in those conversations. I plan to continue those conversations with teams I haven't talked to yet over the next several days.

There's nothing I've been told about what I can or can't do in managing our race tracks or tire rules that give deference to the "Purple Mafia". I've been through negotiations with that tire company regarding tire deals with a sprint car sanctioning body I'm involved with and there has never been encouragement to use a tire that is less durable in exchange for compensation. With the cooperation of that same tire company, over the past 5 years we are burning up far fewer sprint car tires than we have in the past - and series point fund compensation hasn't changed a bit.

I expect that in the next few days, with the full blessing of those who's ass I apparently suck, there will likely be a unified and sensible tire rule for weekly competition at every late model track in the State of Illinois. In developing that rule, I'm not aware of a single promoter who checked to see if it's alright with the "Purple Mafia"... nor has Smash or anyone else that eats off of "Purple Mafia" money called or expressed any concern that we will likely be buying fewer late model tires this season.

Personally, I would rather stick with the tire rule we had in effect the past few years because I think it was a balance between saving money for the racer and competition. I have no big desire to change our tire rule.. just like every other track thinks their own tire rule is the best for their teams. Every promoter has opinions and facts to back up their beliefs - usually formed in consultation with the teams that race at their track. I'm far less inclined to embrace a sanctioning body that says "my way or the highway" rather than let tracks make thoughtful decisions about what's best for their own group of racers. But in the interest in uniformity, it appears that myself and others are willing to put those opinions and beliefs aside and have a single tire rule across the state for the sake of uniformity. You can save money on tires by burning less of them or owning less of them. I think our old rule let us burn less of them. The new rule is probably going to also help racers own less of them.

Ken Dobson
Quincy Raceways
Jacksonville Speedway

Funny but not one promoter has called me or has anyone answered the question of how does this rule benefit us WEEKLY racers all I have heard is well Lucas and world of outlaws are doing it so it must be good
Wrong those guys can afford new tires every week the weekly racer can not

He just said it would save money by having to own less tires/wheels with the new rule . The all hard tire deal sounds like a great idea in theory but the tire dopers ruin that .This new rule is pretty much the same as the summer nationals rule from last year and I thought it was ok not sure if I would have saved money under any other option rule also tire wear can be controlled by water and water is free or close to it just add water racing is like noodles or rice with out water pretty shitty

I thought drivers want dry slick as quickly as possible because 1-the track generally stays smoother and is easier on equipment and 2-once it gets slick it takes away the HP advantage that money buys. You know, the best always come to the front when it slicks off and all that? Until it rubbers up, of course, then its like racing on pavement. But this too comes at a cost of tires. This isn't a dig at you Rusty, you win in anything, but there are always pros and cons to any solution and some people will complain no matter what.

About doping, well, any rule is the responsibility of the Sanction or Tech at the track to ensure it gets adhered to. If the penalty is severe enough, like a 5 year ban from the track or something ridiculous and it gets enforced, it will do a lot to deter the serious racers from doing it. And there is always the durometer to at least stop the obvious softening stuff on hard tires.

I am sure there are doping techniques that increase grip without softening too, but that's just par for the course. How many times do the guys in NASCAR get caught cheating and they know up front the level of tech they are going to have to pass. If it doesn't stop them, it's hardly surprising guys are cheating at the local track where there is a lot less resources available to keep racers honest.

As far as the comment about guys racing IMCA complaining they only have one tire, I bet the only guys complaining were those with the funds to afford a lot of tires. Guys are always going to complain if they can afford more than the next guy and are not allowed to have it.

Last edited:

Back