400 crank ???

FIREBALL

got a 406 with a cast steel crank--came in my old blue 25 lm--when I pulled it there was the crank counter weight (small flat plate goes between the fly wheel & crank flange) odd thing is it had a standard balancer on the front--looking at the crank it has some weight on the front throw---is it possible to balance half the crank??? TEASAR in MINN built it----looks to me like it was balanced to use the plate on the rear and a standard balancer on the front

got a 406 with a cast steel crank--came in my old blue 25 lm--when I pulled it there was the crank counter weight (small flat plate goes between the fly wheel & crank flange) odd thing is it had a standard balancer on the front--looking at the crank it has some weight on the front throw---is it possible to balance half the crank??? TEASAR in MINN built it----looks to me like it was balanced to use the plate on the rear and a standard balancer on the front

Yes, some cast cranks from Scat are done that way. Cranks are balanced in two planes separately front and rear. When I do a balance job I either make it use the factory external balance hardware or go neutral, no in between.

A few years ago I had one come into the shop in a customer's engine. Neutral balancer on the front and nothing on the back of the crank. I put the engine on the dyno using a neutral balance flexplate started it up and instantly I knew it needed the external balance hardware on that end. Swapping the flexplate made it smooth.

got another issue--the car has a bert bellhousing n flywheel and it looks like the counter weight on the end of the crank will not clear----to put a big flywheel on would be costly and a lot of work---any ideas???

Bert makes a small flywheel that has the weight on it. Otherwise, you will have to change your bellhousing.

Back