600 cubic inch small block

A couple of years ago I built a 454 Small Block Chevy and that worked out fine. 4.185 bore 4.125 stroke but that's a heck of a long way from 600cid.

don kirn built brutis years ago--460 I think--pistons came out of the block--watched him dyno it at the shop in wellston

don kirn built brutis years ago--460 I think--pistons came out of the block--watched him dyno it at the shop in wellston

About a year ago a guy who used to work at Kirn's came by the shop and I just happened to have the 454 on the dyno at that time. It was fun to talk about the engine that they had built using the deck plates(I didn't do that). I think their engine was more of a race engine with high compression and RPM. I built this one with low RPM/jet boat in mind with moderate compression. It still makes more than 600 horsepower under 6000rpm.

Lenny, I think McKinzie did the R&D on that engine at Kirn's and the engine ended up in a #50 Modified!!!

THANX RICH

I have some broshures from kirn highlighting the motor---should see terrible tom at the train show in a few weeks-----who ran the 50 mod----LOL

Come on, Lenny, surely you remember the #50 Ed somebody, not sure of his last name.
Oh Yah, now I remember, Dixon!!!

THANX RICH

I had a car with 50 on it--ran it at highland-one of curt allens mustangs----now when I get a car I am so Fn lazy I leave what ever no. the car had on it in place

The guy from Kirn's told me that the engine never was used in a circle track car and ended up in a dragster. He said that any stories about it being used by Dixon are not true. He said that they had a lot of trouble with cylinder leakage/blowby for some reason. I think that doing the deck plates and sleeves setup probably just took too much out of the block. I don't know what they used for a bore/stroke and rod length combination.

Really one of the most difficult aspects of the whole build for me was getting the compression low enough to be practical for use on pump gas. Getting it down to 10:1 compression with a 66 cc chamber was not easy. Take a look at the pictures in the ad that I ran for this engine before I sold it.

my markers been dried out for years

Attachments

• img033.jpg
    img033.jpg
    333.5 KB · Views: 106
Dave,
What is your contacts name????

THANX RICH

I showed a guy who had a big Chevy and who had stabbed his own hand several times how to install Spiro-lox and he told me that he would bring one of his friends who was into building engines by to see me one day and he did. I don't know what the guy's name was but he seemed to be knowledgeable about engines and definitely not a "bull crapper".

talked to tom Mckenzie to day at the train show--deck plates were used--leak down was strange as it would be different on each cylinder after each dyno run--and it went in a dragster came back for a freshen up....tom makes highly detailed model train accessories for layouts---he still goes to the drags--train show is at Collinsville convenrion ctr..

That's interesting Lenny thanks for the follow up. I wonder if Tom Mckenzie was the guy who came to our shop? I would assume that the problems came from having a deck plate and sleeves which would probably move around with temperature changes. I wonder why they went this route unless at the time you couldn't get a piston with a short enough compression height to make it work. I wonder what their combination was, bore/stroke and rod length. In my 454 I used 4.185 bore, 4.125 stroke and a 6 inch rod.

tom is bout mid 50s--white hair for the most part--150 ish one of the smartest engine guys I know--was going to get his card--

tom is bout mid 50s--white hair for the most part--150 ish one of the smartest engine guys I know--was going to get his card--

Lenny, that's a perfect description of Tom...
I'm sure they only built one of those engines, so I stand corrected.

THANX RICH

Back