Archaic rules

tc521

Ford Racer
It's time we addressed some of the language and some of the rules in the street stock division. Many of these rules were written back in the early eighties and are not applicable today. The first one I would like to see changed is the "same engine, chassis, and body manufacturers rule". If there were comparable Ford or Chrysler frames out there people would be using them to build cars. Look in a Speedway catalog and show me an aftermarket suspension part for any Ford or Chrysler chassis. They don't exist. The Ford Crown Vic is a 4 door behemoth with over a 114 inch wheelbase. The rules state 108 inch minimum wheelbase. It's no great coincidence that 108 is exactly the wheelbase of the GM "G" body chassis. This rule provides no one with any advantages. Get ride of it and gain a few cars in the class. Opinions welcome!

Not sure where you plan on running but I just went to Highland Speedways web site and it says nothing about 108" wheelbase.....with that being said there is a post on here about some rule changes them and Belleville have done. Not sure if it's in there or not.

I don't know about the other area tracks, but Tri City has allowed mixing of engine and chassis manufactures in street stocks for aprox ten years

As well as mixing body and chassis manufactures for 6-7 years now

Last edited:
I don't know about the other area tracks, but Tri City has allowed mixing of engine and chassis manufactures in street stocks for aprox ten years

As well as mixing body and chassis manufactures for 6-7 years now

In the street stock class at Tri-City you are allowed to run a Chrysler engine in a Chevy frame but Fords must be in a Ford frame. Chevy and Chrysler are also allowed the aftermarket EQ heads but Ford must use OEM castings.

I didn't know it was limited to Chrysler. Ya, that makes no sense why they wouldn't let you put a ford motor in a Chevy then.

I think "this rule provides no one with any advantages" pretty much sums up why it shouldn't be changed. Anything that keeps the cars closer together in performance makes the driver/setup the deciding factor.

I don't see anything in there rules that says you can't run a Ford motor in a GM. It does say in body rules GM to GM or FORD to FORD. But I know for a fact that they will allow you to mix and match body's and chassis. I'm sure if you contact Kevin and Tammy they will work with you on running a Ford motor. If I remember correctly the Ford Thunderbird should meet the wheelbase minimum.

It's time we addressed some of the language and some of the rules in the street stock division. Many of these rules were written back in the early eighties and are not applicable today. The first one I would like to see changed is the "same engine, chassis, and body manufacturers rule". If there were comparable Ford or Chrysler frames out there people would be using them to build cars. Look in a Speedway catalog and show me an aftermarket suspension part for any Ford or Chrysler chassis. They don't exist. The Ford Crown Vic is a 4 door behemoth with over a 114 inch wheelbase. The rules state 108 inch minimum wheelbase. It's no great coincidence that 108 is exactly the wheelbase of the GM "G" body chassis. This rule provides no one with any advantages. Get ride of it and gain a few cars in the class. Opinions welcome!

I don't think that the GM G body chassis necessarily has any advantages over anything else and maybe its time that some people experimented with using other platforms such as the mid 80's Crown Vic or GM fullsize. Why not? It could be very interesting.

Seen a couple 70's challengers that made cool looking street stocks but I don't think any where will let you run "good" mopar parts.

I think "this rule provides no one with any advantages" pretty much sums up why it shouldn't be changed. Anything that keeps the cars closer together in performance makes the driver/setup the deciding factor.
The intent of that comment was to say that allowing a Ford engine in a Chevy chassis would provide no one with any advantages.

I don't think that the GM G body chassis necessarily has any advantages over anything else and maybe its time that some people experimented with using other platforms such as the mid 80's Crown Vic or GM fullsize. Why not? It could be very interesting.
There is a post somewhere else on this forum where a guy is looking for a Ford street stock chassis. He got one reply from North Dakota.

Crown Vic front geometry is far superior over GM but the rear is not good also the ford is very heavy

I have a metric car that I had a Ford engine in and ran as a sportsman for years. They don't run sportsmen at Tri-City anymore so I want to make this thing street stock legal, put my Ford engine in and go racing.

I have a metric car that I had a Ford engine in and ran as a sportsman for years. They don't run sportsmen at Tri-City anymore so I want to make this thing street stock legal, put my Ford engine in and go racing.

Contact Kevin and Tammy if you want to run Tri City. I'm sure they will work with you. I'm sure the other local tracks will also. Gabriel's ran their Chrysler motor and Dakota body on a metric chassis at multiple tracks. So I don't see a problem doing it with a Ford motor.

Back