Back when. Curt Allen,Ray Rat.

DonD

100_3747.JPG

The steering wheels back then look like something off a boat. No power steering must have been rough. lol

That's what separated the men from the boys. LOL I wonder how many of the old timers went from no power steering to power steering and had a hell of a time trying to adjust.

Isn't it amazing that those Allied modifieds were still running straight axles and leaf springs front and rear in the mid '70's? When did that start to change?

I ran a old curt allen car (the mustang)it had power steering as did the vega--at the i55 nats I started 20th and was up to 11 when I ran out of fuel in rays mustang--bargetze had the twin to the vega pictured-i won some races-I think I put a rabbit body on it---by the mid 70s most A cars had power steering-the old ray eby coupe did not--I could write a book

Attachments

• IMG_7448.JPG
    IMG_7448.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_7450.JPG
    IMG_7450.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_7446.JPG
    IMG_7446.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_7447.JPG
    IMG_7447.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 171
here is a Camaro I bought of my buddys grand paw--had a buggy spring up front-and a bad azz 302-won a heat at highland but got DQd cause I had a flat LF-got pizzed n spun my tires leaving the track got tossed for a week as they had the football field in the infield at the time-

Attachments

• IMG_7449.JPG
    IMG_7449.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 174
So back when you ran that kind of suspension did you run a panhard bar on one end or the other or was that not done?

leaf springs with a piece of 1X2 channel pointing down off the rr frame rail as a rub block--I ran a jocobs ladder on my old tom smith car---really like to try one on a current mod--

Not sure if he was the 1st. But the 1st one I saw with the independent suspension up front with AARA was Mike Hammerle. Like I said just 1st one I remember seeing.

Back