Birkhofer Wins Wdrl “firecracker 50” At Bureau County Speedway

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
Muscatine, Iowa Driver Grabs Series-Leading Third Win of 2005 Season

By Tom Lathen

(Princeton, IL) Brian Birkhofer grabbed the lead on lap 23 and went on to win the Firecracker 50 Sunday night, a WORLD Dirt Racing League PolyDome Late Model Series event here at Bureau County Speedway.

The win, in front of an appreciative standing-room-only crowd, was the third series victory of the season for the Muscatine, Iowa driver, after early season wins in April at Davenport Speedway and West Liberty Raceway.

“This track is by far one of the most unique race tracks I’ve ever seen,” commented an exhausted Birkhofer in Victory Lane. “It’s narrow, it’s wide open - I don’t even know how to explain it.

“Coming off of here (turn four), I just about hit the wall about ten times and the back stretch about 20 times,” he added. “It was interesting man.”

Outside front row starter Ray Guss, Jr. darted to the advantage at the drop of the green flag, with Omaha, Nebraska’s John Anderson running a close second, just ahead of Denny Eckrich, Chris Simpson, Jeff Larson, and Birkhofer.

On lap three, Birkhofer’s Daufelt Transport/MasterSbilt/Pro Power Monte Carlo wheeled past Larson and into fifth, and following a lap five caution flag, roared into third, with Guss continuing to hold a narrow lead over the runner-up Anderson.

With the three leaders racing through slower traffic on the lightning fast 1/3 mile high banked D-shaped race track, Birkhofer out ran Anderson to grab second on lap 21and began to apply pressure to the front-running Guss.

A pair of laps later, Guss slid up the banking as the two leaders battled wheel-to-wheel out of turn four, allowing Birkhofer to dart to the advantage as the duo raced in front of the packed grandstands.

“I was real lucky to find that line,” commented Birkhofer. “When I found it, I knew those guys were sitting ducks, because nobody else had found it yet.”

“I could turn and just gas it all the way through (turns) three and four.”

After taking over the point, Birkhofer was never seriously challenged over the final 28 circuits, winning the race to the checkers comfortably over second-place finisher John Anderson. Marion, Iowa’s Chad Simpson finished third, with top series Rookie-of-the-Year candidate Justin Fegers closing quickly to grab fourth.

Ray Guss crossed the line in fifth, followed by current PolyDome Late Model Series points leader Denny Eckrich. Jeff Larson, who has won seven consecutive weekly Late Model events at Bureau County Speedway finished just behind Ryan Dauber, in eighth.

The night’s racing action was marred by a spectacular flip in turn three by Mike Provinzano on the final lap of the consolation event. Provinzano’s car number-27P became airborne, flipping violently over the outside guard rail and into a power line, before coming to rest just off of the pit area. Although his car was totally demolished, Provinzano, who was taken to a local hospital, escaped serious injury.

RACE SUMMARY:

First PolyDome Qualifier: 1. Jeff Larson (Freeport, IL), 2. Keith Foss (Winona, MN), 3. Chris Simpson (Marion, IA), 4. Kyle Berck (Marquette, NE), 5. Chris Smyser (Lancaster, MO).
Second PolyDome Qualifier: 1. Chad Simpson (Mount Vernon, IA), 2. John Anderson (Omaha, NE), 3. Justin Fegers (Mound, MN), 4. Rob Moss (Iowa City, IA), 5. Dave Eckrich (Cosgrove, IA).
Third PolyDome Qualifier: 1. Brian Birkhofer (Muscatine, IA), 2. Denny Eckrich (Tiffin, IA), 3. Tommy Elston (Keokuk, IA), 4. Ryan Dauber (Tonica, IL), 5. Craig Jacobs (Freeport, IL).
Fourth PolyDome Qualifier: 1. John Provenzano (Marsailles, IL), 2. Ray Guss, Jr. (Milan, IL), 3. Scott Lemke (Rockford, IL), 4. Mike Miller (Leaf River, IL), 5. John Hampel (Nodaway, IA).
KSE Racing Products Consolation: 1. Hampel, 2. Dave Eckrich, 3. Eric Pember (Pittsville, WI), 4. Caley Emerson (Grand Rapids, MN), 5. Bryan Moon (Wyanet, IL).
Iowa-Illinois Taylor Insulation Pole Dash: 1. Anderson, 2. Guss, 3. Denny Eckrich, 4. Chad Simpson, 5. Birkhofer, 6. Larson, 7. Fegers, 8. Foss.
Firecracker 50: 1. Birkhofer, 2. Anderson, 3. Chad Simpson, 4. Fegers, 5. Guss, 6. Denny Eckrich, 7. Dauber, 8. Larson, 9. Elston, 10. Jacobs, 11. Berck, 12. Dave Eckrich, 13. Pember, 14. Lemke, 15. Miller, 16. Foss, 17. Dan Shelliam (Hazel Green, WI), 18. Moss, 19. Smyser, 20. Moon, 21. Bill Koons (Omaha, NE), 22. Provenzano, 23. Hampel, 24. Chris Simpson, 25. Emerson.

ITEMS OF INTEREST:

Lap Leaders: Guss (1-22), Birkhofer (23-50)
QA1 Passing Points: Larson (60.76)
Rookie-of-the-Race: Chaad Simpson
Chase Race Decals Hard Luck Driver: Emerson
Series Provisionals: Koons, Shelliam

CONTINGENCY AWARDS:

QA1 Motorsports: Chad Simpson
Iowa-Illinois Taylor Insulation: Anderson, Guss, Denny Eckrich
KSE Racing Products: Hampel
Oval Craft Racing Products: Birkhofer, Anderson, Chad Simpson
Champ Pans: Fegers
Design 500 Racewear: Guss
Performance Bodies: Denny Eckrich