Bloomquist and Wall Take Top Honors at Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series Banquet in Indy

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
CORONA, CA (November 24, 2010) - The Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series wrapped up its 2010 season on Saturday Night, November 20th with its awards banquet at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, IN. Scott Bloomquist of Mooresburg, TN was crowned the 2010 National Champion for the second time and Chris Wall of Springfield, LA took the Quarter Master "Rookie of the Year" honors.

For the 47-year-old Bloomquist, the 2010 Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series National Championship marks the eighth national touring title of his Hall-of-Fame career. Bloomquist picked up the 500th win of his career in the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series-sanctioned "Jackson 100" at Brownstown (IN) in September. It was among his series-high 9 main-event wins this season. His career total of wins on the series is now at 26, which leads the series all-time wins list. He also recorded 26 top five finishes and 34 top ten finishes, both which were the most of any driver on the series tour in 2010.

Bloomquist also picked up several other awards to go along with his $75,000 check from the points fund for winning the championship. Bloomquist Race Cars Chassis took top honors in the Chassis Builder Challenge for the second year in a row. Bloomquist Race Cars scored 18 wins in the 39-race series schedule with Bloomquist' aforementioned nine series wins. Jimmy Owens of Newport, TN, who finished second in the final points standings for the second year in a row, won eight times. Dan Schlieper of Sullivan, WI, who finished tenth in the points, took the other series win this year for Team Zero.

Bloomquist also took home a $500 product certificate from AFCO for the most heat race wins, a $1,500 check from E3 Spark Plugs for second place in the E3 Spark Plugs TV Challenge, a set of rods from Dyers Rods and 10 sheets of aluminum from Wrisco Industries. He also received a product award from Wiles Drive Shafts, a set of four springs from Eibach Springs, and a product award from Performance Bodies.

Tommy Hicks, Bloomquist's Crew Chief, was honored for the second year in a row as the "DirtonDirt.com" Crew Chief of the Year. Hicks received a check for $500 and a trophy for the honor. Michael Rigsby representing www.dirtondirt.com made the presentation to Hicks.

In his victory speech, Bloomquist thanked a multitude of people including his family, sponsors, crew, and acquaintances "Winning championships are definitely about finishing races. This year we won a lot more races than last year and we are really proud to be a part of this series and I hope everybody else is too. My crew did a great job this year as well, and I have to thank them for all of their help." Bloomquist' crew consists of Bruce Nunnally, Robbie Jones, Tony Wiggins, Jesse Kerns and crew chief Tommy Hicks.

"I have to thank Bob and Barb Miller for their support, they are like family to me, they couldn't be here tonight, but we are thinking of them and all I can say is thank you," to the couple who are longtime supporters of Bloomquist with their Miller Brothers Coal and Hawkeye Trucking sponsorship.

"Of course I have to thank my wife Katrina, my mother Georgie, and my daughter Ariel, they couldn't make it to all the races, but I just want to thank them for being there for me and for their help with the souvenir trailer. A special thanks goes to the promoters for having Lucas Oil events and all the fans that came out to support us. This was our 30th year of racing and it feels good to cap it off with a championship."

"The sponsors we have have played such a significant role in our success over the years and this year was no exception. I have to thank Allstar Performance, Sweet Manufacturing, VP Racing Fuels, Hoosier Tires, Arizona Sports Shirts, Lane Automotive, Roush-Yates Racing Engines, Ohlins, and all the rest of our product sponsors that help us out, we appreciate all of you."

"I want to thank Forrest Lucas for all he has done for racing, the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series is the best series from top to bottom in racing. With the news that CBS will be televising the Show-Me 100, hopefully that will open some more doors along the way for everyone in the sport. By far, the Lucas Oil Series has the best TV package right now of any dirt-racing series," said Bloomquist who noted that he will be back to try for a three-peat in 2011.

Chris Wall of Springfield, LA also had a big night during the awards ceremony. The 42-year old driver was named as the winner of the ApplianceZone Driver Development program. Wall will receive a $70,000 sponsorship from ApplianceZone for the 2011 Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series season. Wall also took home top honors in the Quarter Master "Rookie of the Year" earning a check for $10,000 plus several product awards from Cruise with the Champions, Wiles Drive Shafts, Hyperco, Performance Bodies, Sweet Manufacturing, FAST Shafts, Dominator Race Products and Weld Wheels. Wall, who finished seventh in the championship point's standings also received 10 sheets of aluminum courtesy of Wrisco Industries, a set of rods from Dyers Rods, and a $2,250 check from Speedco.

In 2010, the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series sanctioned 39 events in 18 states with 13 different winners getting to victory lane. The average car count per event was 46.4 entries and nearly 500 drivers competed at least once with the series this year with 14 drivers earning perfect attendance.

The Mike Swims Award of Excellence was presented to Bill and Debbie Reed of Dirt Racing Outreach. The annual award is given in memory of Mike Swims, and is presented to persons that gone above and beyond the call of duty in the racing industry, and have made a lasting impact on the lives of racers, crews, and fans.

Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series announcer, James Essex and Keli Snyder from SPEED Channel, hosted the awards ceremony.

The 2011 Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series season will kick off again at East Bay Raceway Park in Tampa, FL for the DART Winternationals, which start on February 7th.

For a look at the 2011 Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series schedule and the latest breaking news, log onto www.lucasdirt.com or call the series' office at (951) 532-2503.

2010 Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series Sponsors

ASI Racewear - "The Official Merchandise Vendor" of the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series

Canidae Pet Foods - "The Official Pet Foods" of the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series

DART Machinery - "The Official Engine Components" of the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series

E3 Spark Plugs - "The Official Spark Plug" of the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series

Geico Power Sports - "The Official Insurance" of the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series

General Tire - "The Official Tire" of the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series

Hoosier Tire - "The Official Race Tire" of the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series

K&N Filters - "The Official Filter" of the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series

Lucas Oil Products - "The Official Oil" of the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series

Magnaflow Exhaust - "The Official Exhaust" of the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series

MavTV - "The Official Men's Network" of the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series

R&L Carrier - "The Official Carrier" of the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series

Rockstar Energy Drink - "The Official Drink" of the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series

Speedco - "The Official Truck Lube and Tire Center" of the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series

Sunoco Race Fuels - "The Official Fuel" of the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series

2010 Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series Supporters Include: AFCO, Allstar Performance, American Racer, ApplianceZone.com, Banshee Graphics, Bloomquist Race Cars, COMP Cams, Cornett Racing Engines, Cruise with the Champions, Custom Race Engines, DirtonDirt.com, Dominator Race Products, Dyers Top Rods, ECR Race Engines, Eibach Springs, Fast Shafts, GRT Race Cars, Hawk Performance, Hypercoil Springs, JRi Shocks, MasterSbilt Chassis, Öhlins, Penske Shocks, PBM/Erson Cams, Performance Bodies, Performance Rod & Custom, Pro Power Racing, Quarter Master, Race Engine Design, Red Buck Cigars, Rhyne Race Engines, Rick Schwallie Photography, Rocket Chassis, Roush Yates Engines, Safety Solutions, SuperFlow, Sweet Manufactuing, Vic Hill Race Engines, Warrior Race Cars, Weld Racing Wheels, Wiles Drive Shafts, Wrisco, WD Enterprises, 5150 Race Trailers.

James Essex, Public Relations Coordinator, jessex@lucasdirt.com

Back