Breaking News at GMP

mikeb

Rotary Freak
It seems that Dan Harman is about to retire after nearly 30 years at the 'Gateways'. I can see this as perhaps being very good for him and his personal life, but terrible for GMP; and for some of us who now will need to interface with other(s). As of yet, no one has been appointed to replace him officially; but he did so much there personally there isn't anyone who could slide right in. Even as others negotiated contracts and scheduling, it was Dan who had to make it work operationally. He helped every corporation or sanctioning body to come through the gate any way he could while steadfastly looking out for his employer interests as well.

Some of us have known Dan for a long time. Once a cornerworker himself for a short time, he moved into a more "EV" or "Safety" role. He brought about changes to the way incidents were responded to with the "QRV" (Quick Response Vehicle). He went through every change the Gateway facility made and transcended owners, managers, and rode it into having the biggest and best years and events in it's history.

A marvel at multi-tasking, he would sometimes have 3 radios and 3 cell phones to conduct operations, likely spending 60-80 hours a week involved with every aspect of the track. He is the only one who knew ALLthe facility, where every switch was, and the history and story about every change. He was the last one to leave and the first one back during the ownership change, and for years the same each and every day as well.

Gateway will NOT be able to replace him with a single person - and not likely two or three for the foreseeable future. For many there may be no observable change attributable directly to him and his activities. But for some of us there will be giant hole and a huge uphill climb to get anywhere near where we are at present. I don't look forward to this change at all. I have worked with him, for him, and as a Volunteer for many, many, events at Gateway, and it is hard to imagine him not being there to harass - or him to harass me. :)

Yet it was and is his decision, and perhaps no amount of money could change his mind. Over the decades his loyalty to and activity at, the track had to have weighed heavily on his personal life and he wants to bring that back into focus. And who could blame him? An exact date for his retirement isn't known yet - but likely very soon. I am sure GMP would like to have him around through the NASCAR weekend in June, but that remains to be seen.

BUT, He's not dead -lol- and I'm sure he will show up now and then somewhere. Perhaps we can even arraign some sort of gathering down the road. I don't have his permission to publish an address at this time, but if he retains one I will pass it along. He may not have the time to read them at work now - and will likely lose access very soon at GMP. For now if anyone would like; you can send him a message through me and I will pass it along un-altered. mdbyington at swbell dot net

Back