Tri-City Speedway Cancels racing for Friday, July 1

Revin

PONTOON BEACH, IL -- In an effort to honor an agreement between local race tracks, and to avoid conflict with the Summer Nationals, Tri-City Speedway owners, Kevin and Tammy Gundaker have cancelled racing for Friday night, July 1.

MOWA Sprint Cars and USAC Midgets were slated to appear and every effort will be made to reschedule this event and a new date will be announced as soon as possible.

"We apologize for the last minute change to the schedule and hope everyone will enjoy the holiday weekend."

Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt that a sprint car/midget show at TCS would affect a Fayette County summer national show. The open wheelers seem to have mostly their own fan base. Very few people who would have gone to the TCS open wheel event will instead go to Fayette County. Certainly car counts wouldn't be affected. Again, maybe I'm wrong.

I agree 100%. The TCS fans who wanted to see the SN again can go to Fayette County. Let the rest of us watch some open wheel action. This sounds like some kind of NASCAR bullying tactic. I guess UMP is learning from the best.

I agree 100%. The TCS fans who wanted to see the SN again can go to Fayette County. Let the rest of us watch some open wheel action. This sounds like some kind of NASCAR bullying tactic. I guess UMP is learning from the best.
Lol. . UMP has absolutely nothing to do with this decision.

This was a Tri City call nothing to do with UMP at all. We didn't run last year against them and were not going to run this year against them.

We scheduled this over the winter not thinking about the date.

I'm first and foremost an open wheel dirt fan, sprints and midgets...but I think it's pretty cool that Gundakers are thinking about the sport as a whole.

Back