Car counts

salsdad

Just left the regular season opener at Bubba Raceway Park in Florida. They had a 4 division show with only 30 cars! 10 Modifieds 3 pro-4s 5 Street Stocks and 12 Thunder Stocks. Whole show was 2 hours with a half-hour intermission. I will not complain about our local track's car counts after seeing this! Did get to see 76-year-old Buzzie Reuitimann run second in the Modified feature.

And apparently they do tech winners! The top two finishers in the Thunder Stock feature (they are team cars) were both disqualified.

So 2 out of 3 cars were DW'd?!

Down here a track ran 12 classes opening night. Don't know what the car counts were. I believe there were 4 late model classes.

I will not go to a track that runs 12 classes. 4 classes is enough. 5 is ok. Any more than that and the show is just gonna drag out.

back in 80 I went to DIXIE speedway in GEORGIA --They ran one class at a time-heats-dashes-feature-the top class was not first-second-but you could watch the pits empty out as well as the stands--interesting format

I was at Dixie about 8 yrs ago. They had 3 classes of LMs. Barely tell them apart. 23 total cars between the 3 classes.

Lenny. That doesn't just happen in Georgia. When I was announcing I would always invite the fans to visit the pits after the races and meet their favorite drivers. Several times as soon as would I say that I would turn around and see guys leaving when two classes still had features left to run. On one occasion, after the races I was asked by a woman where a certain driver was pitted (late model feature winner) She said her son, who I would say was 7 or 8, wanted to get an autograph and his picture taken with him. I didn't have the heart to tell them that I saw him leave 1/2 hour ago and he was probably home by now because the guy lived only 20 minutes away. I just said I didn't know. I saw it a lot (I made it point to watch) Just another reason local racing is killing itself.

Brian.

Back