Carl Edwards not racing in 2017

Dirtnation msnbc cnn all the local news outlets are reporting it as well. Weird. Makes me wonder if an underlying issue is there. Suarez is bringing money for his ride but still jack sure would have let carl run part time or something

Edwards raced for Joe Gibbs, not Rousch.
I tealize that but there was word rousch was going to offer him something rather than the nothing gibbs was giving him. Him and jack are still tight and thats only why i said what i posted. Sad day. He was a popular driver

This story has been brewing for a week or so but i never thought he would just not run. As i said there was talk jack would do something possibly part time or other things. Either they didnt work out or carl just doesnt want to race this year

I always had the impression that to the cameras he was the smiling "aw golly, gosh and shucks" but behind closed doors wasn't exactly the easiest person to get along with. Who knows. I think anyone who rises to the top in any sport has to be somewhat self centered and ruthless to succeed if they have to start from nothing to do it.

Anyone think there might be some health reason no one knows about though? That was the first thing that came to my mind, that there could be something bigger going on that he just hasn't talked about or doesn't want anyone to know just yet. I certainly hope not.

most of them are very wealthy, and really don't need the hassle anymore. I am betting that junior will be next along with a few of the other veterans. may as well get out while the gettins good...

http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/story/carl-edwards-im-stepping-away-full-time-driving-cup-series-011117

Carl Edwards on Wednesday made official what FOXSports.com first reported a day earlier: He is leaving Joe Gibbs Racing and will not compete in NASCAR in 2017.

Appearing at a press conference at JGR’s headquarters in Huntersville, N.C., Edwards said, “I’m stepping away from full-time driving in the Cup Series. … I don’t have any intention of going back to full-time racing.”

Edwards said there were three reasons he was leaving: 1. He’s satisfied with his career. 2. He wants to devote time to the people in his life. And 3. He wants to stay healthy.

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/nascar-driver-points-to-concussions-as-a-reason-for-lea-1791070050

NASCAR fan favorite Carl Edwards announced he’d be stepping away from full-time racing today, and made sure to note that he wanted to do so while he still has his health.“ I don’t like how it feels, the hits that we take,” Edwards explained during today’s press conference.

“I’m still sharp,” Edwards noted early in the conference. Perhaps he was warding off any questions as to whether a specific incident or injury of his own influenced this decision. But Edwards, whose wife is a doctor, explained that the risks of continuing in the sport outweighed the benefits.

One of the biggest stories of 2016 was Dale Earnhardt Jr.’s recovery from yet another concussion. It was clear that the kinds of struggles Dale Earnhardt Jr. and other racers have had with concussions and other injuries factored into Edwards’ surprise decision to retire from the sport.

Edwards been competing full-time in NASCAR for seven years, and gave a general answer that it a culmination of things influenced him to quit. He wants to pursue other interests, like aviation and agriculture, and spend time with his family and the others in his life, but he also specifically cited Earnhardt’s crash.

“I think everyone in the sport paid attention to that,” Edwards noted of Earnhardt’s lengthy recovery. Edwards reiterated his support of Earnhardt during today’s press conference, who he considers a personal friend.

“As [NASCAR CEO] Brian France has said, it’s a contact sport...it’s part of what makes it fun,” Edwards said. “But you have to look at the risks. Fortunately because of all the work people have done, I can stand here healthy.”

Sounds like a smart man, who's absent of greed. Very rare virtues to be said of the same man in this day and age. Good on him.

He lives down the road from me. I think he will be playing on his farm a lot more. And spending time with family. I don't see him racing locally much. I haven't heard a whole lot about it from people I know that are really close to him. Only time will tell I'm guessing?

Back