Darren Miller Wins WDRL Opener In Davenport

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
By: Bucky Doren

[Davenport, IA] - - The World Dirt Racing League kicked off the 2008 tour Wednesday, April 16, 2008 at the Davenport Speedway. Darren Miller (Chadwick, IL) grabbed the win in the Fiesta 40.

After winning the Iowa-Illinois Taylor Insulation Pole Dash, Miller started on the pole for the forty-lap A-Main. Jimmy Mars (Menomonie, WI) started to Miller's outside. Miller beat Mars into the first corner, and quickly moved to this high side with Mars in tow.

"I thought maybe winning the dash was going to hurt me," Miller said from Victory Lane. "After the dash, it looked the high side was the place to be. I was a little worried that Jimmy (Mars) was going to get the jump on me at the start of the A-Main, but I ended up beating him into the first corner."

"The yellows really helped me tonight," Miller Added. "Every time I was closing in on slower cars at the end of the race, we'd see a yellow."

Despite the yellow flags, Miller would hold of the rest of the field.

Brian Birkhofer (Muscatine, IA) started seventeenth and raced his way to and second place finish. Mars held on for third. Frank Heckenast (Orland Park, IL) and Tim Lance (Brimsfield, IL) rounded out the top five.

Up next for the WDRL Late Model Tour is a stop at Freeport Raceway Park (Freeport, IL) on Saturday, April 19, 2008. Quad Ciy Raceway (East Moline, IL) will host the tour the very next
night.

To learn more about the WDRL, visit the web site at www.worldraceleague.com.

HEAT 1:
1. Eric Pember, 2. Tim Lance, 3. Rick Hanestad, 4. Dale Stolte, 5. Jay Johnson, 6. Jeff Larson, 7. Jeremy Grady, 8. Matt Furman, 9. Randy Manos (DNS).

HEAT 2:
1. Jimmy Mars, 2. Pat Doar, 3. Jason Utter, 4. Chris Simpson, 5. Tim Isenberg, 6. Rob Moss, 7. Ryan Dauber, 8. Brian Harris, 9. Andy Eckrich.

HEAT 3:
1. Kerry Hansen, 2. Ace Ihm, 3. Chad Simpson, 4. Brian Birkhofer, 5. Dave Eckrich, 6. Mike Stadel, 7. Denny Eckrich, 8. Kurt Kile, 9. John Kaanta.

HEAT 4:
1. Darren Miller, 2. Kevin Kile, 3. Tommy Elston, 4. Frank Heckenast, 5. Curt Martin, 6. Nick Maroff, 7. Jill George, 8.
Matt Bodman, 9. Todd Davis.

IOWA-ILLINOIS TAYLOR INSULATION POLE DASH:
1. Darren Miller, 2. Jimmy Mars, 3. Tommy Elston, 4. Eric Pember, 5. Tim Lance, 6. Ace Ihm, 7. Rick Hanestad, 8. Kerry Hansen.

KSE B-MAIN:
1. Curt Martin, 2. Denny Eckrich, 3. Ryan Dauber, 4. Rob Moss, 5. Tim Isenberg, 6. Brian Harris, 7. Jeff Larson, 8. Todd Davis, 9. Andy Eckrich, 10. Matt Furman, 11. Jill George, 12. Kurt Kile, 13. Mike Stadel, 14. Jeremy Grady, 15. Nick Maroff.

WDRL A-MAIN: 40-Laps
1. Darren Miller, 2. Brian Birkhofer, 3. Jimmy Mars, 4. Frank Heckenast, 5. Tim Lance, 6. Chad Simpson, 7. Eric Pember, 8. Ryan Dauber, 9. John Kaanta, 10. Pat Doar, 11. Rick Hanestad, 12. Tommy Elston, 13. Brian Harris, 14. Chris Simpson, 15. Dave Eckrich, 16. Rob Moss, 17. Curt Martin, 18. Ace Ihm, 19. Jay Johnson, 20. Kerry Hansen, 21. Denny Eckrich, 22. Kevin Kile, 23. Jason Utter, 24. Dale Stolte.

WDRL CONTINGENCY AWARDS:
Iowa-Illinois Taylor Insulation Pole Dash: Darren Miller, Jimmy
Mars, and Tommy Elston
QA-1 Passing Points: Eric Pember
Chase Graphics Hard Luck: Not awarded as of press time
Brake Man: Jimmy Mars
Champ Pans: Frank Heckenast
Performance Bodies: Eric Pember
Design 500: John Kaanta
BSB: Rick Hanestad
Fast Shafts: Tommy Elston
Hooker Harness: Brian Harris