Difference between sprint and silver crown?

K-Dawg30

Can someone tell me the difference between the USAC Silver Crown cars and the USAC Sprint cars?

The Silver Crown cars look to be bigger but thats all I see?:confused: Can someone fill me in? Thanks

The main differences, other than size, are 355.136 cu. in. max and the must start on their own, with a declutching device in the driveline.
Their normal sprint cars are 410.000 cu. in. and they can use V6's with a max of 315 cu. in.
There is also a Western State sprint division that has a 360 cu. in. rule.
Hope that helps!!!
THANX RICH

And, unless they've changed it, the Silver Crown cars don't run on anything less than a half-mile.

So am I understanding right when I say that the silver crown cars actually run a smaller motor than a USAC sprint.

I figured wheelbase was bigger and chassis was bigger.

They start on their own but they still have to be pushed off. I was at the Du Quoin race and noticed this. Can someone elaborate on that.

How much do these things cost for a dirt car?

Thanks again...

They do not have to be pushed off.

But they do NOT have a starter onboard. The cars are started by crew members using a hand held starter (kind of like some karts do).

However, if a car stalls on the track, it is just easier to push start them at that point.

So am I understanding right when I say that the silver crown cars actually run a smaller motor than a USAC sprint.

I figured wheelbase was bigger and chassis was bigger.

They start on their own but they still have to be pushed off. I was at the Du Quoin race and noticed this. Can someone elaborate on that.

How much do these things cost for a dirt car?

Thanks again...

10 TO 15 grand for a good used roller and another 40 to 50 grand for a decent motor.

Don't know if my info is the best, but I've heard less than 40k for the motor...unless it's Bryan Tyler's Toyota;)

I mean with a 355 being smaller than a 410 wouldn't a 355 be comparable to buying a modified motor or am I way off. I see hovis had modified motors that are 370-380 and they go for $15,500. Am I mixing something up. I in no way think you could get a Silver Crown motor for $15,000 but idk...guess I must be confused about something.

I stand corrected....only 33 grand for a Gearte silver crown engine. Oh and you get to race 9 times a season and put up with USAC.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 1,342
I don’t know much about crown cars or engines, but a modified engine is carbureted while a silver crown engine is fuel injected. Also you better have the best of everything to run 100 laps on a mile track or you’ll be watching the checkered flags from the infield.

usac changes their minds more than a woman(sorry ladies) , but in years past, they had to be 'self' starting. you had the option of an on-board starter (like a car), or a starter that was not attatched to the car...i.e. aircraft style starter that was shoved into the front of the car. if the starter failed, and the car had to be pushed to start, you had to go to the rear of the field. this was for the start of the race only. i don't know if this is still the case.you could push start the car all day long with no penalty any other time.the batteries are not on board the car. the reason for pushing the car by hand, with the engine already running, was to make it easier on the clutch.these cars are quite heavy with 70 gallons of fuel on board.

midget racer,

Randy Bateman, who has been coming to DuQuoin for a long time...qualified on the outside of the front row, but had to go to the back because he had to be push started

bummer

Here are a few of the many differences in the two cars.

Silver Crown:

Wheelbase minimum 96"
Weight minimum 1475 lbs without driver
Fuel cell 60-75 gallons
Cast iron block 355 ci engine
Aluminum heads including SB2, Brodix -12, etc. allowed
2 way radio with a spotter is allowed
4 1/2" maximum chassis offset

Sprint Car:

Wheelbase minimum 84"
Weight minimum 1175 lbs without driver
Fuel cell 18-33 gallons
410 ci aluminum blocks allowed
No two way radios allowed
1/2" maximum chassis offset

Actually cubic inch is 360. They are allowing 360 aluminum motors but you have to bolt 50 lbs on at the motor plate. They did this in an effort to entice some of the 360 sprint guys to participate. Some cars still have on board starters but no onboard batterys. Still have to have an external battery cart. Weight rule is 1625 with driver after the race. As far as cost you can find a good crown engine for anywhere from 8 to 12K. Engine in my 89 car was 6k and with freshen I have about 10k total in it. If your wanting one of those 800 horse 360 yea your gonna pay for it.

My question is why only 14-16 SC cars race at Gateway but 35 show up at Springfield and DuQuoin? Is is that difficult to change the set-up between dirt and pavement? Is it the drivers preferring to race on dirt?

My question is why only 14-16 SC cars race at Gateway but 35 show up at Springfield and DuQuoin? Is is that difficult to change the set-up between dirt and pavement? Is it the drivers preferring to race on dirt?

USAC Silver Crown has never had very good car counts at the asphalt tracks. From what I understand the biggest thing is tire cost for asphalt races. The dirt races has historically always had better car counts they the asphalt shows. 1988 USAC Silver Crown race at Salem, IN only had about 16 cars there

800 hp out of a 360 cubic inch engine is getting it done. it is cool watching the crown cars at the end of the straightaway at DuQuoin... couple years ago the radar gun was showing 141-143 mph before lifting. if you have never been to a mile track, its worth the drive. heck the modifieds aren't much slower than the crown cars at DuQuoin .

The Silver Crown car used to have an important relationship with the Indy 500 and Championship car racing in general. The USAC Silver Crown car is a direct descendent to the front engine cars that once raced in the 500. Hence the longer wheelbase, outboard starters, big fuel tanks and 100 lap races on mile tracks.

Once upon a time, when USAC controlled Indy car racing, their Champ car (Indy Car) schedule included both pavement and dirt races. In 1970, for example, if you wanted to be the Indy car national points champion, you hopped in your rear engine Eagle or Coyote pavement Indy car and ran the Indy 500, Milwaukee and Phoenix. Then you needed a dirt champ car ride for the point races at Springfield and DuQuoin.

USAC dropped the dirt races from the national championship car schedule after the 1970 season. The dirt champ cars were given their own separate schedule and point championship. It was years later that USAC renamed them the Silver Crown division.

Back