East MO Modifieds against West MO Modifieds?

SamIam67

"Greetings & Salutations"
Our track promoter in Warrensburg, MO is considering a big money post-season race for modifieds. Myself and a couple of other employees would love for this to happen but we think it would work best to open it up to all modifieds rather than just running our rules, this would include the UMP mods. He wants the word "National" to be in the title of this new seasonal race event, so we think it should be opened up to include more drivers, especially since it will be post-season for most (either the weekend of Sept 17th or Oct 1st).

If we did this, would it work? How do you think Chad Lyle, Tim Karrick, Tom Charles, Dustin Boney, Jason Thompson, Marc Dotson, Kerry Davis, Rick Beebe, Justin Boney, and all the other hotshoes out this way would stack up against the STL area guys? This is a serious question. Would the aluminum heads rule for UMP make a ton of difference? I need some serious inputs, my promoter has the means to pull this off.

Thanks,
Sam

wow, i think this sounds cool. all of the race tracks around here want to limit the special shows just to the local cars.

The St. Louis area has a great bunch of Mods. But, so does the western Missouri/eastern Kansas area....not to mention a bad fast bunch from southwest Missouri and northern Arkansas. Big money would also draw cars from Iowa and Minnesota. I hope you guys get it all put together.

The idea sounds really great and would be a cool modified race.. There isn't a track in the Midwest that takes care of their mod racers like Warrensburg. None of the $500 to win & $25 to start racing. With rules simular to USMTS, you could draw a lot more cars. Aluminum heads require weight in front of the motor plate. Certain non 23 degree heads require an even heavier total weight. With Warrensburg being a smaller track, I think things would even out & you would draw way more cars. Keep the hard tire rules for sure!! I could "rant & rave" about UMP tire rules but it wouldn't help your program. Good Luck. Steve

The dates is what's critical. Late season fills up fast. The Jamboree at Deer Creek and I think a big UMP race at Tri-City (?) are always scheduled against each other on the last weekend of September. This year, there's a $15,000 to win at Humboldt in October that needs to be missed. Lakeside has a $5000 around then. Just pick a good date for it...

Sam I think tires will be an issue here-THe Western mo drivers are all on the American Racer KK704 while East are on the hoosier UMP A40-the A40 is alot softer compound.
The head rule with 50 Lbs of weight added won't be that big of an issue.THe AM Tire will react differently than the A40

a pre season event might come off better and get them a bigger car count. too many other specials at end of season to get a great car count.
make it a national event and you will get modifieds from surrounding states. Something like they use to do at Batesville Ark.
i've seen 200 to 300 modified at one of those.

Thank you for the inputs. I figured the tires would be the biggest challenge with this but it's something we will have to evaluate. We've allowed the aluminum heads before with the weight stipulations for our three big money specials, but we never really drew the cars that well. It's always amazed me that it's like someone took scissors and cut right down the middle of Missouri. When you realy think about it how one state has so many different factors when it comes to racing, it's kind of mind boggling. This is not just with mods, the super lates seem to never intermingle either. For the mods out this way, USARA seems to be on the minds of a lot of people and I am hearing some tracks may adopt their rules. We'll see how it all shakes out, if anyone has any ideas on how to work out a tire deal, please post your thoughts.

that time of year most ump guys are tied up in regional and national points i would make this race on a sunday night of a four day weekend in the summer labor-memorial-4of july and get the word out as soon as possible then promote it on all the message boards a ton sounds like a good idea though I like to beat new people!

Back