GIR Fan Receives Memorable Phone Call Thanks to Kenny Wallace

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
MADISON, Ill. – Thanks to NASCAR star Kenny Wallace, William Graves was on the receiving end of a very memorable phone call.

The Nationwide Series veteran and St. Louis native was in town last week and stopped by Gateway to jump on the phones in an effort to sell some tickets to the Missouri-Illinois Dodge Dealers 250 on July 18. Graves was one of many fans receiving calls from "Herman" that day. The Cadet, Mo., native has attended a number of NASCAR events at Gateway International Raceway in the past, but was on the fence about purchasing tickets to this year’s NNS event.

According to Graves, a lifelong fan who watched racers such as Bill Elliott as they were coming up in the ‘70s, getting a call from Wallace definitely made for an interesting day.

"It was wild," he said. "That was really something. My son is a big fan of Kenny’s. We like coming (to GIR). We got a hat signed by Carl Edwards (last year), the winner that night, so that was pretty cool.

"It was a great time all the way around. We loved it!"

Wallace’s afternoon on the phones at GIR is just the latest incident of his working with the staff to help promote NASCAR events at the 1.25-mile oval just outside St. Louis. The nine-time NNS winner was at the track most of the afternoon, calling potential ticket buyers and talking motorsports while he was in the area racing his modified dirt car while the Nationwide Series was off.

"I’m just here to help my friends at Gateway sell tickets," said Wallace, who also is an analyst for SPEED’s NASCAR Sprint Cup Series pre- and post-race programming. "We know the economy is rough right now and we don’t want to push them into anything; we just want them to do what’s comfortable for them."

GIR Vice President and General Manager Lenny Batycki said Wallace has always been an asset to the track and his help is always appreciated. "I don’t know that you can find someone more loyal and devoted to the St. Louis area than Kenny Wallace. He loves the fans here and they love him back and it’s definitely an interesting day at the office when ‘Herm’ is around!"

Video of Wallace’s ticket-selling exploits can be seen at GatewayRaceway.com.

Wallace, along with Carl Edwards, Kyle Busch, Justin Allgaier, and the rest of the NASCAR Nationwide Series, returns to Gateway International Raceway July 18 for the Missouri-Illinois Dodge Dealers 250. For tickets, call 866-35-SPEED or visit GatewayRaceway.com.

And who knows? Kenny might still be at the track to take your calls!

-GIR-

Brandon W. Mudd | Director, Public and Media Relations
Gateway International Raceway
700 Raceway Blvd. | Madison, IL 62060
o: 618.482.2495 | f: 618.482.3919
e: bmudd@gatewayraceway.com

Attachments

• kennywallace-gir.jpg
    kennywallace-gir.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 417,096

Back