help identifying a vintage stock car from area

hearst50fan

mustang.jpeg
00808_85gHmP242lW_600x450.jpeg can anyone help me identify this car? under this paint you can see PONTOON FORD and SCOTI GINNY. Has a quick change and was set up for small block Ford. 65 Ford front stub tubular rear.
Thanks in advance!
Jeff

I know that car well! Its bob whiteheads late model! Did u buy it? Was at the mustang corral

I sat in that car when i was a kid. Bob worked at counton oil the behind hardees in wood river

any one wont a bob whitehead story at godfrey??? well ya going to get one--back in the mid 70s bob had a orange ford pick up he ran --I had a black 57 chevy (#25) I ran---we started side by side on the front row at godfrey one night-not a big field-9 or 10 cars--we took off from the pack--ran side by side for lap after lap never touching each others car (bob was a very clean racer)we lapped the field--we came out of turn 4 and got the white flag at that moment I felt my right rear go down--I stayed on the track figuring I had second BUT bobs right front came off on the back straight--I passed him and limped under the checker with a flat right rear (still got a picture) we had a good laugh and drove many races at that old battle ground---------them were da days my friend---------40 years later I still got no sense---se ya all @ TCS tomorrow

No if your are talking about Waters & Whitehead their both dead. I don't recall Bob running late model. I do know you couldn't run a rib rail down the side like the one that's on this car.

Last edited:
On godfrey speedways facebook page there is a pic of his late model in fact i have the program with that cars pic! If u need help finding it i can dig out my program and post it here

I may buy it. Id like to know more history though, like whether or not it was a late model or sportman or what and if it was a front runner or back marker. Knowing if it was a winner or not would be nice and help me make my mind up,

It was a late model ran godfrey and the old tri city half mile It is a well built waters car At the time was a front runner Like len said bob was a true gentleman and racer

that is louie jansons car--won a bunch of races at godfrey---may be the same car-I think jansson my have had a maverick bodied car also

Its very rough. Looks better in the photo by far. Needs a ton of TLC and will cost a boat load to restore. If I can verify its history I'd make the guy an offer. It has 8 lug hubs on all but the left front now. May have been altered here or there.

Back