HISTORY??

FIREBALL

WHERE?? WHEN?? WHO WAS DRIVING??--THIS COMES WITH A HELL OF A STORY

Attachments

• I55--way back.png
    I55--way back.png
    260 KB · Views: 252
That's Don Klein driving...or should be. That's his ride. Is that at St. Charles around 1980? I'm guessing Don's not in the seat for some reason?

WHERE?? WHEN?? WHO WAS DRIVING??--THIS COMES WITH A HELL OF A STORY
I'm guessing from the picture of the face it is Famous Fireball Garson. I'm thinking it was at Pevely because of the concrete wall. No idea what the what the story was. maybe Fireball was in a points race for a position and his car was down and Don let him borrow a car.

you have the driver and track correct--it was the 1982 mod nationals--I had my old vega mod that ran fairly good with a 355 - one night after the races I just asked Don if I could drive his back up car--much to my surprise he said yes---- more to come--gots to go eat turkey

back then it was a 2 day show--tripp made the main in his heat in my vega--I was running second (you could run that FORD wide open ) when I got took out,i only got partly side ways and jumped the berm in turn 4 (no wall then)tore up the reese bar (lift bar)and drive shaft--they did not have the parts or time to fix the car SO - I repossed my vega from tripp for the consie -(had to change the no.it was the driver not the car)the first six got in the main-the 7th place car got $250 - I was running second behind the guy that took me out the night befor and beating his back bumper real good (bud pursley taught me well)I was so intent on beating the guys bumper I lost track and mike null got around us coming for the white flag--he won--while going down the back straight it dawned on me even if I made the show I had to give the 25 car back to tripp==so coming out of turn 4 for the checkered flag I started counting cars-when I counted 6 in front of me (had to almost stop)I dropped in line and finished 7th-got my $250 n watched tripp run 74 of 75 laps-he finished 14th and got $270 -- even had the old vega on the wall in 1&2--some time later on I was talking to Gervase bassler and he said I could have jumped in his car if I had made the show--that's my story --have a great holiday

Back