Homemade Trailer Registration in IL????

jmartin

I am buying a homemade trailer from my dad who lives in Indiana. It has never been titled because the laws in Indiana are different than they are in Illinois. Has anyone ever gone thru the process to get a homemade titled in Illinois? How long does the process take? I think I read where you are not legally allowed to use the trailer until the process is complete. I am not going to be able to get it here until the middle of March and I am hoping to use it after that to get to the track!!!
Thanks!
Jeff

trailor

go to the dmv in granite city,tell them u have a homemade trailor,they will ask the length and what the axils are rated for,u tell them,pay them and they will give u a sticker on the spot with the serial number to your new homemade trailor,its all less than 150 bucks,ive done it.

trailer

If the wrong person waits on you at the DMV they can and will cause you a lot of grief. :eek: I would for sure go elsewhere. There are a lot of places that do this.

the law in ILL has changed on home made trailers after the first of this year--you have to have pics/al info/ money/ they have to send DMV out to look at the trailer and then after all this --you might get your title and tag in the mail--if it all goes well!!! just checked on it in Fayette County-----GOOD LUCK--YOU WILL NEED IT

If you can reg. it in Mo. All you need there is to get a trailer inspection on it and take the bill of sale and inspection to the DMV and they will issue you a VIN and tags. The inspection is simple working lights and brakes if it has them.

Back