Johnson Earns Second Straight Top Five at Petaluma Speedway

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
Inside Line Promotions - PETALUMA, Calif. (April 21, 2014) - Chase Johnson got his wish last Saturday at Petaluma Speedway.
"The track went really, really dry, which is kind of unusual for Petaluma," he said. "From the beginning of this year I was hoping for a dry track there because it gets pretty fun."
Johnson qualified third quickest on the 3/8-mile oval, which lined him up on the inside of the second row for a heat race.
"The track went away quite a bit in the heat," he said. "It was follow the leader around the bottom."
Johnson finished where he started, which locked him into the feature and earned a spot in the feature redraw as one of the top six qualifiers who advanced. However, Johnson pulled the highest pill during the random draw to start on the outside of the third row for the 25-lap feature.
"The track actually started to build a cushion on the top in turns one and two," he said. "We were able to find and take advantage of that. We rolled up to the front pretty fast. I think we were sitting in fourth the first 10 laps. After that I made a few mistakes. I think I overdrove the car."
Johnson lost a trio of positions in the middle of the race to fall back to seventh place.
"Then ruts started to form coming out of turn four," he said. "When that started to happen we were too tight and kind of lost our speed."
Following a caution in the final five laps, Johnson regrouped and picked up a position on the restart. He then made a last-lap pass to secure his second straight fifth-place result.
"Most of the track was around the bottom," he said. "The only place you could pass up top was in turns one and two."
Johnson will return to Petaluma Speedway this Saturday for the Civil War Sprint Car Series event.
"I'm feeling confident going into this weekend's race because we've been there twice this year and we've got a heads up on how the track is going," he said. "I'm looking forward to advancing our top five to a win this weekend."
QUICK RESULTS -
April 19 - Petaluma Speedway in Petaluma, Calif. - Qualifying: 3; Heat race: 3 (3); Feature: 5 (6).
SEASON STATS -
8 races, 0 wins, 2 top fives, 3 top 10s, 3 top 15s, 6 top 20s
UP NEXT -
Saturday at Petaluma Speedway in Petaluma, Calif., with the Civil War Sprint Car Series
MEDIA LINKS -
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ChaseJohnson24
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Chase.Johnson.Racing1
APPAREL -
Johnson has new red, black or gray t-shirts and hoodies for sale at his race trailer at every race he competes in this season. T-shirts are $15 each and hoodies are $30 apiece.
SPONSOR SPOTLIGHT - Johnny Franklin's Mufflers
With California locations in Santa Rosa and San Rafael, Johnny Franklin's Mufflers has been a leader in the service industry for mufflers, drivelines and hitches for more than 50 years.
"My great grandpa started Johnny Franklin's Mufflers in 1961 and it has been in the family ever since," Johnson said. "My family and everyone at Johnny Franklin's Mufflers have supported me through my entire racing career and are my biggest fans. I couldn't be happier to represent such a great company."
Johnson would also like to thank Newman Freeman Racing, PitStopUSA.com, Napa Auto Parts, Shifty Illusions, Flowmaster, Don's Truck Repair, VSR, Fast Lube Plus, K&N Filters, Oroville Cycle and I-Wear Graphix for their continued support.

Back