Josh Richards Captures Second Straight World of Outlaws Late Model Series Title in Tense World Final

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
SHINNSTON, W. Va. - Nov. 8, 2010 - The battle got a bit too close for comfort, but Josh Richards did what he had to do to clinch his second consecutive World of Outlaws Late Model Series points championship in Saturday night's tense Lowes Foods World Finals finale at The Dirt Track at Charlotte in Concord, North Carolina

The 22-year-old used a fourth place finish in the season ending 50 lap A-Main to capture the prestigious title by a mere four points over Darrell Lanigan, who finished third after starting 21st. Richards had entered the weekend with a 22 point lead over Lanigan, but the difference was cut to six points for the deciding event after Saturday afternoon's postponed 40 lap feature saw Lanigan score a fourth place finish versus Richards's 12th place run.

Richards put his name in the history books as the first driver to repeat as champion of the WoO LMS during the national tour's seven year modern era (2004-present). He was already the youngest racer to ever win the points title of a national dirt Late Model series.

"To come out on top again and become the first back-to-back champion - words can't really describe it," said Richards, who collected his $100,000 champion's check during the WoO LMS awards banquet held on Sunday night at the Great Wolf Lodge in Concord, N.C. "This means the world to me, my family, my sponsors and my crew. It will take a while for it to all settle in."

Capping a campaign in which he registered a series leading eight A-Main victories and pulled into a tie with Steve Francis atop the WoO LMS career win list since 2004, Richards combined equal parts speed and savvy to hold off Lanigan in a dramatic final race.

After struggling to a 12th place finish in Saturday afternoon's postponed A-Main that kicked off an unprecedented World Finals doubleheader, Richards started seventh in the nightcap and cracked the top five just before the halfway point. He lost fourth to the charging Lanigan on a lap 24 restart, regained the position on another restart one circuit later and briefly snuck by Jonathan Davenport for second on a lap 26 restart, but he settled back into fourth behind Lanigan on lap 32 and stayed there to the finish.

Richards let out a sigh of relief when he steered his Mark Richards Racing Enterprises/Kentucky Fuel Corporation Rocket car under the checkered flag roughly one second behind Lanigan to cement the title.

"I watched Randall (Edwards, Lanigan's crew chief) on a caution probably 20 laps in and I saw him clapping Darrell on, so I figured he was coming," said Richards, who registered 27 top five and 36 top 10 finishes in 44 A-Main starts en route to the title. "Then I looked and he got up alongside us on the restart. I knew his car was really good, so after that I just tried to keep him in my sights and do everything we could without feeling like I was killing my tires.

"Those last 10 laps felt like they took forever. My car got a little free so I had to adjust the brakes a little bit and adjust my driving to run smooth and not wear anything out. I was just hoping I wouldn't pop a tire at the end."

Richards was presented the unique World of Outlaws championship trophy during a post race ceremony held on The Dirt Track's homestretch in front of a sell-out crowd of over 14,000 fans and a national television audience watching on the SPEED cable network.

"It was crazy for the championship to come down that close," said Richards, who won the 2009 WoO LMS crown by 14 points over Steve Francis. "Hat's off to Darrell and his guys. They did a great job this year.

"I don't even know what to say," he continued. "To finally get one last year was awesome, and now to be the first to repeat is just amazing. We dedicate our lives to this. This is what we all do it for. I can't thank my team for their constant hard work and family for their support through all of this."

For more information on Josh Richards, visit www.joshrichards.com and follow him on Twitter at @Josh_Richards1.

Josh Richards' No. 1 team carries support from Rocket Chassis, Cornett Racing Engines, Seubert Calf Ranches, Kentucky Fuel Corporation, Ernie D's Enterprises, ACE Metal Works, Petroff Towing, Tony Stewart Racing, Sunoco Race Fuels, Hoosier Racing Tires, Integra Shocks, Slavic Custom Decals, Valvoline, AEM, AFCO, ATL Fuel Cells, Aurora Bearing Company, Autolite, Banshee Graphics, Barnes Systems, Beyea Performance, Brinn Transmissions, Brodix Cylinder Heads, Braswell Carburetion, Butlerbuilt Seat Systems, CV Products, Dohm Cycles, Dyer's Top Rods, Fram Filters, Frankland Rearends, Howe Racing, Kwik Change Product, LSI, Mason Racin', MSD Ignition, Outerwears, Performance Bodies, Performance Friction Brakes, Performance Rod & Custom, Ringers Gloves, Scott Performance Wire, Simpson Race Products, Sweet Manufacturing, Tel Tech, TWM Racing Products, Trick Carbon Fiber Driveshafts, Jones Racing Products, TurboStart Racing Batteries, US Brake, Weld Racing Wheels, Wehr's Machine, Wilwood and Wrisco Aluminum.

Back