Late Model Chassis Question

Doug

Announcer
With the announcement that the New York State Fairgrounds will be hosting its final Super Dirt Week in about a month, I got to thinking about the DIRT Modifieds and how they have continued to provide a top-notch on-track product with cars that are able to go fast while still taking a beating. Not on the mile, but on the short tracks they regularly race on. I took a look at their rule book on the DirtCar website and found something very interesting (at least to me). These cars are still required to have 2x4 rectangular box frame rails. It got me wondering why that is not the case with Late Models. I can't remember when the change was made, but I remember the glory days around here when cars were built like tanks (and in some cases driven like them) and the number of competitors and spectators were visibly greater than in recent years, at least for the weekly shows. So my question is this: why was the box frame rail phased out in favor of the round tubing that is used now, and would there be opposition to returning to that method of building a car? If so, why?

Too many out there now to go back. New frames cost too much to have to switch back now.

I would say they changed because round tube is cheaper and easier to bend also builds more flex into the cars not sure but that's my guess If your looking for a fix to car counts I think that people as a whole are just lazier now than they used to be to much easy entertainment race cars are hard work

10-4 on the lazy factor. Plus it seems there are fewer kids hot rodding anymore with the new cars and the computer controlled everything. But back to the chassis thing... let's say the rectangular frame rails were still part of the deal. If that took some of the flex away, wouldn't that take away the ability to put the power to the ground, making for less strain on the motors?

not with the suspensions they are running hint hint, how many guys retired the last couple of years

10-4 on the lazy factor. Plus it seems there are fewer kids hot rodding anymore with the new cars and the computer controlled everything. But back to the chassis thing... let's say the rectangular frame rails were still part of the deal. If that took some of the flex away, wouldn't that take away the ability to put the power to the ground, making for less strain on the motors?
the kids now a days don't like racing because then not everyone gets a trophy. in drifting nobody wins or looses so they all get trophies. Plus nobody wants to understand how to make a chassis work properly, they just want some "Stance" so the car sits on the ground, even if that means taking away all the grip

lastly the only way to improve an engine now a days is using a cold air intake and a new muffler per most kids now a days.

I am a weird-o for wanting know about roll centers and head porting

Doug you could probably build a square tube car that would compete a lot of the traction is in the shock programs if you want it the way it used to be you would almost have to completely comit to it start now and tell all racers hey next year we are going old school track will be muddy and rough every night so build a strong car that can take ang give a hit spend all your money on a good bottom end in your motor and buy cheap shocks and suspension parts cause there probably going to get knocked off that's the only way you will get things back to the way it was but I high doubt any track would be so bold to do such a concept

Back