Matt Long holds off Freeman for FASTRAK win

fastrakpr

Matthew Long kicked off the 2019 FASTRAK Racing Series powered by Chevrolet Performance season in dominant fashion, taking the 38 Special at Toccoa Raceway (GA) and paying tribute to his father & uncle in the process.

'Hillbilly Deluxe' led the lion’s share of the 38-lap feature at the “Fastest 1,650 Feet of Dirt in Georgia,” moving to the lead from his second-place starting spot after a heat race win. In victory lane, Long was ecstatic to pick up the win in front of a raucous crowd that was on its feet from qualifying all the way through the feature event.

“First off, I’ve got to say I love this place,” said Long. “The way it races, I love the fans, a lot of energy. I love coming here.”

Long was also happy to take his throwback design honoring his father & uncle's victory lane in its first appearance.

I couldn’t be happier,” said Long. “To run this paint scheme this year, honor my family and all the racing we did when I was younger. This is a great night.”

Those guys race good good. The 4 car [of Matthew Nance], Jensen [Ford], they race clean, they race good. When we rub it’s just racing. I know we led every lap, but it had to be a pretty good show behind me. I’m not in race-shape yet, I’m huffing and puffing.”

Payton Freeman finished second, taking the runner-up spot from 2018 FASTRAK Racing Series champion Matthew Nance on restart with 10 laps to go after Nicholas Dietz had stalled on the racetrack.

Nance opted for the outside line on the restart to take a shot at Long for the win. However, this opened the door for Freeman, who capitalized on his shot in the lower line to move into second.

“The top wasn’t really there at the start, but we kept trying to clean it off,” said Freeman. “That last restart, I decided to try something different, I wish I had gone there sooner.”

“We could have run second easily if we had just chosen the inside,” said Nance about the late-race decision. “It’s hard on that choice to leave the outside open, because you can’t ever tell. We had to take the outside and take our chances.”

2018 FASTRAK East Coast Rumble winner Carson Ferguson finished fourth, while Drew Collins rounded out the top five.

Race fans who missed Saturday’s FASTRAK season opener can relive the action on Speed51 with our on-demand of our live broadcast from Toccoa Raceway. Click here to watch the replay of the race, available to Speed51 Network Premium Members.

Fans can also click here to see our Race Day Now updates from Toccoa Raceway, as well as the ULTIMATE Southeast Super Late Model Series event at Friendship Motor Speedway. Stay tuned to Speed51 for highlights from Saturday’s feature races from both events.

The FASTRAK Racing Series returns to action April 20 for their $3,000-to-win feature at the “King of the Commonwealth.” That event will also include the ULTIMATE Southeast Super Late Model Series competing for a $20,000 payday.

HRE Motorsports "Challenge the Clock" Quick Qualifier #102 Clayton Turner 12.845 seconds

Group #1 - F1 Peyton Freeman - 13.027, 00 Carson Ferguson - 13.093, 2 Blake Craft - 13.108, 14 Adam Smith - 13.268, J1 Joshua Bishop - 13.303, 7a Corey Almond - 13.368

Group #2 - 26 Bubba Pollard - 13.079, 55 Matt Long - 13.256, 4 Matthew Nance - 13.284, 22 Nick Schlager - 13.366, 22 Nick Dietz - 13.441, 5s Hunter Stinett - 13.550, 4y Brad York - 14.219

Group #3 (overall) - 102 Clayton Turner - 12.845, 43 Frankie Beard - 13.081, 83 Jensen Ford - 13.108, 187 David McCoy - 13.120, D5 Drew Collins - 13.212, 07 Dale Timms - 13.212, 14s Sylvan Schuette

Unofficial Results - FASTRAK Racing Series
Toccoa Raceway - Toccoa, Georgia

Pos # Driver
1 55 Matt Long
2 F1 Payton Freeman
3 4 Matthew Nance
4 00 Carson Ferguson
5 D5 Drew Collins
6 2 Blake Craft
7 5S Hunter Stinnett
8 7A Corey Almond
9 26 Bubba Pollard
10 22 Nicholas Dietz
11 22SNick Schlager
12 102 Clayton Turner
13 14SSylvan Schuette
14 187 David McCoy
15 83 Jensen Ford
16 07 Dale Timms
17 43 Frankie Beard
18 4Y Brad York
19 14 Adam Smith

-Story by Zach Evans, Speed51.com Southeast Editor & additional information from FASTRAK PR Wesley Outland

Check out the official website for the FASTRAK Racing Series atwww.fastrakracing.com and continue to follow our social media networks for the FASTRAK Racing Series. Like and Follow our Fan Page on Facebook plus follow @FASTRAK_SE and/or @FASTRAK_MOV on Twitter to get up to the minute news and details as they become available.

The 2019 marketing partners for the FASTRAK Racing Series are Chevrolet Performance, Hoosier Racing Tire, AFCO “The official shock of the FASTRAK Racing Series”, VP Racing Fuel “The official fuel of FASTRAK”, VP Racing Lubricants, Speed51.com “The official video home of FASTRAK”, Basey’s Site Work, LLC, TNT Race Cars, Arizona Sport Shirts, Simpson Safety Equipment, Rockauto.com, and Thomas Clarke Performance.

Back