NEXT TIME THINK BEFORE YOU POST PLEASE!!!!!!

dirtmodified28

Please take the time to read this and before you get on any sites and slam racers or fans or promoters maybe we need to stop and think about is this really going to help or hurt racing if I post what I want to say. Lets see if in 2015 we can try to be more optimistic about racing in general. we can all learn from this story below as this was posted on www.onedirt.com and I just thought we all need to learn from what racing is truly about. Thanks and have a great day everyone.

Traveling from coast to coast for eleven months of the year I get to see the best and worst that people have to offer. While most tend to focus on the bad in mankind I often do my best to try and put my focus on the very best that our species has to offer. True enough that at times it takes some serious digging to find the good, I almost always can find the positive.
As evidenced by the barrage of commercials emerging daily on our televisions, along with the hypnotic music played in department stores, there are countless reminders that the holiday season is rapidly approaching. Of course with the holidays comes the thoughts of giving, generosity, and good deeds.
The holidays are my absolute favorite time of the year, and while I don’t necessarily endorse the excessive commercialization of the season, I do like to get into the spirit of things. With my final event of the 2014 racing season in the rearview mirror I’ve begun to reflect on the things I saw and did this year. As I reflected I began to remember some of the great things that I saw the racing family do for others in need this year. With these thoughts filling my head I decided to share some examples of how truly special our fraternity can be.
During the latter stages of a grueling stretch of 21 out of 24 days on the road in July and early August I was looking for anything to uplift my spirits as I pursued a much-needed second wind for the homestretch of the long run. Rolling into Fairbury American Legion Speedway the final weekend of July provided just that charge that I desperately needed.
The 1/4 mile oval, which is nestled in the north-central Illinois town of Fairbury has become one of my favorite haunts over the past few years. Phenomenal racing to go along with phenomenal fans and a truly electric atmosphere. Just the thought of heading into the 25th Annual Prairie Dirt Classic with the World of Outlaws (WoO) Late Model Series had my blood pumping, but I’ll admit I needed a little more to get me going. I was plain and simple homesick. I missed my lovely wife, my trusty dog, and all of the comforts that come with being home.
As I stood in the pit area early that Saturday afternoon I chatted with WoO series director, Tim Christman. With threatening skies and an exhausted cast of characters surrounding us, he and I belly-ached about our frustrations and problems. As we talked I noticed a golf cart drawing near, with a young man sitting in the front with two adults. I didn’t think much about it, until it drew closer, and I noticed the young man had severe scars from burns obtained earlier in his life. However, his scars weren’t the first thing that I noticed. The first thing I noticed was the huge smile on his face as he got a first-class tour of the pit area to see the racecars and drivers.
As the golf cart approached I looked at Tim and said, “On second thought we really don’t have any issues. It’s all just truly trivial.” Tim immediately responded, “You got that right.”
lg.php

He ran into the series trailer and emerged with a goodie bag that he gave to the young man, who was thrilled to receive his newfound treasures.
I thought about the young man the rest of the afternoon, and I would soon learn that I wasn’t the only one thinking about him. Later that evening I saw one of the coolest things I’ve witnessed in my entire life.
As I completed announcing hot laps that evening I received a text that the young man, whom I met in the pit area was named Owen, and today was his sixth birthday if I could announce it. Of course I wholeheartedly accommodated the request. As the engines drew quiet I made an announcement over the public address system that we had a very special birthday being celebrated for Owen. His family lifted him into the air in the backstretch grandstands as all of the fans around him, wished the young man a happy birthday. This in itself was truly a special moment, but a little later I would be left absolutely speechless.
About thirty minutes after the birthday announcement, my phone illuminated once again with another text message. I was notified by a friend sitting near Owen, that the young man’s family had to find garbage bags. These garbage bags weren’t being used for their typical purpose, but rather to contain the dozens of shirts, hats, and die-casts that fans around Owen were surprising him with. You see these folks didn’t know Owen at all, but they recognized a young man, who had traveled a very difficult road in life, celebrating his special day at the race track. As a result total strangers were going to vendor row and purchasing gifts to make his big day even more special. A truly touching moment that even three months later still brings tears to my eyes, when I think about it.
I would also later learn that national standout driver, Jason Feger, who hails from just down the road in Bloomington, Illinois made the young man’s outing even more special. Feger teamed up with Shriners Hospital to make Owen, an honorary crew chief on his familiar #25 Super Late Model for the weekend.
Fast-forward to the 27th Annual COMP Cams Short Track Nationals at I-30 Speedway in Little Rock, Arkansas. The annual mega-event attracts fans and drivers from around the world to the Sprint Car extravaganza held each October. It’s one of my favorite events of the year to announce, but it’s also one of my busiest weekend with a thousand different things occurring. Luckily my busy schedule didn’t prevent me from learning of another very special moment for another special young man in need of a smile.
On Thursday evening a track worker made arrangements with track owner, Tracey Clay, to bring a 4-year-old little boy to the track to see his first-ever race. This wasn’t just any 4-year-old child though. This young man had been through the horror of dealing with his mother dying from leukemia a year earlier. The loss of his mother sent him into a state of withdrawal, where he hadn’t spoken a single word in almost a year. As it would turn out, a trip to the races would be just the ticket to break the mournful spell cast across this young man.
At the beginning of the program he was positioned in the front seat of a push truck, and within minutes his face began to glow, and he began to once again talk as he pummeled the truck driver with questions and observations. Later that night feature winner, Brian Brown, would bring the young man to victory lane to have him pose for a picture. Even more special Brown gave him a tour of his hauler after the races, which proved to be the little boys favorite part of the entire night. To round out the experience the Grain Valley, Missouri driver gave him some of his own racing apparel.
Again this story and the people, who made it happen, just blew me away and left me speechless.
A final example of racing folks going out of their way to brighten the day of someone in need crossed my path during my final event of the year. As I prepared to announce the final night of the World Finals at the Dirt Track at Charlotte on a cool November evening, I had a gentleman from Ohio approach me in the pit area with a giant checkered flag. He told me the story of one of his very best friends that had been eagerly anticipating coming to the event only to see his trip canceled after a severe injury on the job. This gentleman really felt bad for his friend, so he decided to do something special for him. He asked me to sign the checkered flag, which had already been signed by dozens of drivers. His intent was to return home to Ohio and present this special gift to his ailing friend to try and raise his dampened spirits. It was truly a perfect story for me to hear to close out my 2014 season.
Pessimists it’s probably in your best interest to stop reading right here. You won’t like what I have to say next.
Sure internet forums and social media have no shortage of racers and race fans bickering, arguing, and finger pointing. It’s no secret. It’s all there to be easily found. However, what our group represents is so much more than that. We are a massive family, and at our innermost core we have a huge heart. We go above and beyond to take care of others in need. We care, we love, and we make selfless sacrifices. It’s what we do.
The examples I shared here are just a handful of the good I’ve seen in not only our sport but in this world in 2014. It’s far easier to focus on the negative than the positive. Please consider the stories I’ve shared here, and down the road when the world couldn’t seem anymore grimmer, please grit your teeth and look a little harder for just how good people can truly be.

Totally agree. There are alot af amazing things going on in our racing world. The people that are doing them aren't doing it for the pat on the back, it is genuine from the heart actions..Can't buy that. Keep up the good work racing family..

I have a similar story from about five years ago at Eldora. I drove a hauler for a race team who was competing in the dream. We had just unloaded, put the car up on the lift and removed the tires. With some down time before racing started and the pits open to spectators I looked back to my left as I was standing at the front of the car. I noticed a man and woman pushing a wheel chair with their young son in it who looked to be about 10 years old. I made eye contact with the father and gave a gentle smile which is all it took to break the ice for him to come over and chat. He told me how he had met his wife at a race track and soon into their marriage they had a baby who was born with down syndrome. It was his dream too always attend either the dream or world, so after saving enough money he made it to the dream. He told me how his son probably wasn't aware where he was however when the cars was racing he said the sound of the motors made him have a big smile. I could tell by looking at the family they didn't have much money and after him saying he had to save to attend the dream it reassured my thought. So after 15 minuets or so the father and mother wished our team good luck and started to walk off. I said wait a second, I went into the trailer grabbed a shirt and a hat and gave it to their son. The young boy didn't say a word, but his face lit up with a big smile. The father patted me on the back with a smile and said we don't have the money for that. I said don't worry its on me. After saying that the mother gave me a hug with a tear running down her cheek. I have had some very humbling experiences in racing and have always said if you think you have it bad just look around !

Back