Not racing related, but need some advice !

Recently behind my house a business opened up which deals in fiberglass work and has a paint booth. My problem lies with they have a exhaust fan blowing the chemical fumes right towards my house. Last night after work I mowed grass and the smell was so severe it burned my nose, eyes and throat. So I made a civil phone call to the owner asking if something could be done about the smell. His comment was I must have a sensitive nose and he is within his right since its zoned commercial property. Now I was born at night, but it wasn't last night. For when your eyes, nose and throat burn that is your bodies way of telling you something is not healthy and you need fresh air. What other course of action can I take since the civil way did not work ? Any feed back will be greatly appreciated !

He still has to have the proper filters for the fumes and over spray. Maybe ask your local fire department who you should contact for your area. Zoned commercial good for him. Let's see if he's got the right stuff. You can smell it alittle but shouldn't be that strong.

I worked fiberglass for 20 years and the smell of the styrene it terrible till your body gets used to it. I am sure its not healthy either. A visit from a code inspector may help or even a call to the EPA.

The property being zoned commercial is only one piece of the pie. Are fiberglass/painting business allowed in the commercial zoning ordinance where the property is located? Some types of businesses require a special use permit even though they are located on a commercially zoned piece of property.

Also, fiberglass/paint booths require that the operator calculate the VOC emissions. If it's above a certain level, a permit is required through the EPA.

In any case, odor complaints are usually taken seriously by the local permitting agencies and the more neighbors that get involved the more of a priority it becomes. On the flip side, if they are within regulations, the process to force the business to address the odor can be a long process.

Illinois air pollution complaint form: http://www.epa.state.il.us/pollution-complaint/

Missouri air pollution complaint: "Complaints should be submitted to the Missouri Department of Natural Resources St. Louis Regional office via phone at (314) 416-2960."

Why don't you just drag the guy out and stone him! LOL Go to him face to face and tell him about the problem and what your recourse's are. Why sick the law on him and cause him a lot grief!!

I agree with intake. I had a neighbor call the health department on me because my aeration system shut off and I didn't know it. It was down wind from my house and my alarm never went off. Instead of calling me to fix (the breaker tripped) he called the county health department. They came out to "investigate" and had to come back in thirty days to make sure that the problem was fixed. Go see the guy. There is plenty of time to take other action if he refuses to work with you.

Al and intake I have not notified anyone (epa or health department) only person I have contacted has been the owner of the business. I placed a call to the owner last night and advised him of the odor causing my nose, eyes and throat to burn. I asked if something could not be done to remedy the smell in a calm way. His reply was I must have a sensitive nose and since it is his property and zoned commercial he was within his rights .... and yes there are no filters too trap the voc's since I asked and the owner provided me that information. Anyway thanks for the replies guys !!!

Al and intake I have not notified anyone (epa or health department) only person I have contacted has been the owner of the business. I placed a call to the owner last night and advised him of the odor causing my nose, eyes and throat to burn. I asked if something could not be done to remedy the smell in a calm way. His reply was I must have a sensitive nose and since it is his property and zoned commercial he was within his rights .... and yes there are no filters too trap the voc's since I asked and the owner provided me that information. Anyway thanks for the replies guys !!!
He is now fair game. You have been very fair! Good luck!

go over there and jam a bunch of old tshirts, towels, dirty rags, etc into that exhaust fan, or do whatever to clog it up / block it so they keep the odor in their building

James, that's not the way I taught you to handle a problem. Call the local zoning office and ask about his permit to operate that type of business. Call your Mayor and city councilmen. Tell them what the jerk said. then, burn his butt with regulations. He may have to put up a big fence to block your property from his fumes. At least, the exhaust should be out the roof of the building.

You need to contact your City Administrator, or contact your Ward's councilman, and tell them what is going on, and inquire as to what you need to do to report the property as a nuisance. They will force the business to correct the problem, or force him to shut down.

Back