Opinions needed: UMP/USRA/IMCA

BWRC

This is legitimate owners/drivers/chassis builders ONLY- what is your thoughts on STL area tracks Modified and Limited modified rules- what would everyone like to see in the future-hard tires, chip rule, less engine exspense, rules that are enforced or unlimited everything, take a look at these sanctioning bodies and reply please!

How about some tech being done tear down some engines trade some crate motors for starters second no ump black male on forcing guys to buy license how many of our buddies are sitting at home with a car they go out and fire up once a month that refuse to buy license so we suffer with low car counts these things are a few off the top of my head thanks for taking the lead on this

Seems like IMCA has got it goin on right now. Some may hate crate racing but it's part of it and they police it. And they don't mandate it like UMP is trying to do. Just look at the car counts and quality of racing. Plus at the end of the day it's all about dollars and cents. USRA has its differences from Ump with the hard tire and spec heads but it's still a money game.

Hard tire, spec motor sounds good to me. Springfield, Mo runs on basically USRA rules, and they put on one of the best shows you'll see.

I don't really care for the sanctioning either way.

what does it really matter? UMP hands out a set of rules every year and then the tracks change the rules to whatever they want. In my opinion until a sanctioning body comes out and says here is the rule book follow our rules or your driver will not get any points then there really is no need in asking what rule book we run under. That's my opinion. If you will remember UMP had a tire rule this year and people didn't like it so the track changed the tire rule. WHY? Now 3/4 of the way thru the year they change it back. I say as of January 1st (whatever year) until December 31st of the same year you stick with that rule and that's that. There is so many different rules at different tracks it is unreal. There should be a set of rules to where if I have a Street Stock I can race at any track that is that sanction. That to me is what the root of the problem is. JMO

I wish all modifieds were on a G60 tire, all manufactures, coast to coast. That makes the big motors unusable. Making more engine restrictions don't save any money. The more rules there are, the more $ per horsepower. Take the traction away and there is no longer a engine problem

Controlling costs in racing is always very difficult and there are no real cut and dried answers. In my opinion when it comes to engines reducing usable RPM tends to reduce maintenance and parts costs. Smokey Yunick used to say that for every 1000rpm over 6000 the cost roughly doubles. Using a small carburetor is a good way to keep usable RPM down and for someone with some general knowledge is pretty easy to police. Some rules such as rules against porting may not reduce cost at all. Just because the rules don't allow porting does not mean that I won't spend a lot of time on the flow bench either but that's part of racing.

Crate engines are too easy to "cheat up" and only serve to harm small local engine shop guys who if they aren't getting business from circle track racers are not likely to attend the races either.

Hard tire rules could be good but under that set of conditions I think I would work on an engine package that would work well with an automatic, electronic traction control device.

Crate motors didn't work in late model division so how or why will it work in b mod with no tech as far as tire pick one compound for b mods and that's it hard soft medium just pick one I agree we need rules package given to us early and that's it for the year no changing half way thru

what does it really matter? UMP hands out a set of rules every year and then the tracks change the rules to whatever they want. In my opinion until a sanctioning body comes out and says here is the rule book follow our rules or your driver will not get any points then there really is no need in asking what rule book we run under. That's my opinion. If you will remember UMP had a tire rule this year and people didn't like it so the track changed the tire rule. WHY? Now 3/4 of the way thru the year they change it back. I say as of January 1st (whatever year) until December 31st of the same year you stick with that rule and that's that. There is so many different rules at different tracks it is unreal. There should be a set of rules to where if I have a Street Stock I can race at any track that is that sanction. That to me is what the root of the problem is. JMO
I agree! Make rules and make every track run them. Thats been an issue with the street stocks sportsmans and lately bmods. They want the money to sanction these classes but seem to not want to make sure everyone uses a unified set of rules. Long run it hurts a division.

I dont buy the " use a small carb rule" due to guys just take a 500 holley and spend more dollars on it to juice it up. Makes guys actually spend more to keep up with the joneses. Im all for hard tires and gear rule would help also. Make it mandatory what gear you can run. You can pretty much run a general gear rule for all the tracks around here and it would work. Oh youll have ones complaining but why complain when everyone is in the same boat and your job is to make that boat work better

I dont buy the " use a small carb rule" due to guys just take a 500 holley and spend more dollars on it to juice it up. Makes guys actually spend more to keep up with the joneses. Im all for hard tires and gear rule would help also. Make it mandatory what gear you can run. You can pretty much run a general gear rule for all the tracks around here and it would work. Oh youll have ones complaining but why complain when everyone is in the same boat and your job is to make that boat work better

If the carburetors are being gauged by using something like the BLP gauge set carburetors that pass will not have modified enough to make a significant difference in airflow. Believe it or not fuel curve is more important to torque, horsepower and drivability on a carburetor like this or even the 7448.

A gear rule seems interesting but which way do you go? Do you make it high so that RPM is kept low and it tends to favor making the engine larger and lightening up everything to get improved acceleration? Or do you go lower so that RPM is higher favoring a smaller engine which can turn more RPM under a given size carburetor?

You can make all the rules in the world and they don't mean jack shit if they're not enforced. Hell they can keep guys from doping up tires. UMP will never do anything but raise your license fee.

If the carburetors are being gauged by using something like the BLP gauge set carburetors that pass will not have modified enough to make a significant difference in airflow. Believe it or not fuel curve is more important to torque, horsepower and drivability on a carburetor like this or even the 7448.

A gear rule seems interesting but which way do you go? Do you make it high so that RPM is kept low and it tends to favor making the engine larger and lightening up everything to get improved acceleration? Or do you go lower so that RPM is higher favoring a smaller engine which can turn more RPM under a given size carburetor?
I didnt mean necessarily making it flow more ect. http://www.thedirtforum.com/2barreloval.htm Read this article Several more out there but what im getting at is just like everything else. People with the $$$'s will spend it to get the little things out of what they are forced to use. This is what carb guys do to doctor a carb brought to them and its stupid. Chip rule or gear rule works for me. I like the gear rule for one reason- id mandate no msd's so i wouldnt be able to do a rpm rule. Just my thinking. Right or wrong its just my opinion. Id make the rpms around 6000-6300 There is absolutely no reason for a budget build engine to turn anymore than that. The crates turn more but thats a whole other argument lol(aka springs cam work ect ect and so on!) Engines will last longer and put on a good show to boot.

Msd's to easy to make it a traction control unit is the reason why i wouldnt use them at all

Racin 90 ur in a crates wheel house at that rpm the only thing an open motor has going for it is that in can turn more rpm and we have some pretty good racin the way it is so rpm rule for all wouldn't be right

Back