RIP Wib Spalding 1933-2014

Eileen

Today we lost a legend in Super Modifieds, Sprint Cars, Late Models, former owner of Godfrey Speedway and driver of the #444 Wib Spalding. He celebrated his 81st birthday yesterday. Thanks for the memories! Race in Peace Wib.

We extend our deepest condolences to his family, friends, and fans.

Funeral arrangements are being planned and will be posted as soon as they are available.

really a super person--and a very good race car driver--back in the 60s when I first started going to the races at st.Charles speedway he ran a super modified (open wheel racer)I remember his regular ride broke early-he jumped in what looked like a old clap trap-started in the back and was leading by the end of the race--RIP WIB

1st Late Model I ever owned was 1 that Wib drove, Great Friend, Awesome Racer & Mentor. Wib left his mark anywhere that he raced! A lot of memorable moments getting to know & racing with Wib, he will be truly missed. Thought's and prayers go out to the entire Spaulding family during these times. Wib, You we're my HERO! R.I.P. & Godspeed!

I think I was 2 hanging on the fence at Alton speedway, and a rim rider hit me in the face with a mud clod. I said grandpa who hit me with that . He said "Wib Spaulding". Little did I know later in life I would be racing against him and later at his track. My favorite was when he took Wally Anderson's car to Springfield and outrun Butch Hartman . He was a wheel man and should be in the dirt LM hall of fame. My condolences to the family. RIP Wib
Mark"Kinky" Kruse

As you take that last checkered flag know that you will never be forgotten...
Godspeed Wib...Rest in peace..

His Obit..

Wilbur “Wib” G. Spalding, 81, went to be with the Lord at 9:05 am Wednesday, August 27, 2014 at his home, under the care of BJC Hospice.

He was born on August 26, 1933 in Granite City, IL, the son of Earl and Gertrude Mae (Stearns) Spalding.

He married Rosa Lee Emery. She preceded him in death. He married Mary Etta (Hodge) Dreith on September 21, 1990 at the Bethalto United Methodist Church. She survives.

Wilbur was the owner/operator of Godfrey Speedway from 1978 until 1991 and he worked for Capenters Local 633 out of Granite City. He was a member of Cornerstone Assembly of God Church in Bethalto. He was inducted in the Granite City Sports Hall of Fame and he raced all over the United States. He won thirty four track championships, four 150 lap features, three 200 lap features, one 300 lap feature, two track records at Oswego, NY, a USAC Sprint Race at Salem, IN and a 50 mike Duquoin, IL Race. In all types of racing has had over 600 feature wins. He placed 8[sup]th[/sup] in a 200 lap Indy car race at Trenton, NJ in 1968

In addition to his wife, he is survived by his children and spouses, Terry Lee and Nancy Spalding of Godfrey, Tina and Danny Tyler of Granite City, Earl and Laura Spalding of Alton; his stepchildren and their spouses, Michael and Carol Dreith of Murphysboro, Il and Barbara and Bill Watson of Bethalto; thirteen grandchildren; several great grandchildren; two brothers and a sister-in-law, Leland and Jean Spalding of Wichita, KS and Kenneth Spalding of Granite City.

He was preceded in death by his parents, Earl and Gertrude Mae (Stearns) Spalding, first wife, and two daughters, Connie Mroz and Gayle Spalding.

Visitation will be from 9 am until services at 12:00 Noon Saturday, August 30, 2014 at Cornerstone Assembly of God Church in Bethalto.

Burial will be at Sunset Hills Cemetery in Edwardsville.

Memorials may be made to Cornerstone Church.

Online Condolences and guest book may be found at www.eliaskallalandschaaf.com

When I first started going to Tri-City Speedway in the early 70's it didn't take long to realize why Wib and his yellow #444 Camaro were so popular. He could really wheel that car and was gracious with the fans. The last time I saw him was at the Lake Hill Speedway Reunion in 2007. Time had slowed him down but he was still as fan friendly as ever.
http://www.dirtfans.com/WibSpalding.html

man my heart hurts wib was my hero growing , I would cry if he didn't win when I growing up he was a tough racer in any class he drove from super mods to midgets to what is now called late models , I know my mom and dad have a heavy heart tonight they were good friends RIP WIB

My first visit to godfrey i met him personally as he walked through the stands greeting everyone. The 444 was the one to watch always! He will be missed. Rip wib!

My first visit to godfrey i met him personally as he walked through the stands greeting everyone. The 444 was the one to watch always! He will be missed. Rip wib!
When I was a boy I saw Wib race. Joe Shaheen told me to watch him, he is REAL good. I never stopped watching him when he was in any kind of race car, I already knew who was the man to beat.
Later in life I was lucky enough to know him as a friend and race with him myself. He was the best. A genuine good guy, on and off the track....... RIP my friend.

Marty Heutel
Lake Hill Speedway

When I was a boy I saw Wib race. Joe Shaheen told me to watch him, he is REAL good. I never stopped watching him when he was in any kind of race car, I already knew who was the man to beat.
Later in life I was lucky enough to know him as a friend and race with him myself. He was the best. A genuine good guy, on and off the track....... RIP my friend.

Marty Heutel
Lake Hill Speedway

Today we lost a legend in Super Modifieds, Sprint Cars, Late Models, former owner of Godfrey Speedway and driver of the #444 Wib Spalding. He celebrated his 81st birthday yesterday. Thanks for the memories! Race in Peace Wib.

We extend our deepest condolences to his family, friends, and fans.

Funeral arrangements are being planned and will be posted as soon as they are available.

Yesterday I had the honor and privledge of carrying my uncle wibs casket. Today I'm headed to duquoin to watch what he loved to do. I'm going to picture a yellow and red 444 racing around the track making a last lap pass on the back straight just like he did in 1971 in a super modified!!! Race in peace wib!!!

Back