Saginaw 3 speed question

I'm currently putting together another car, and noticed the difference between my 1.68 box style (good transmission) and this one (not so sure about). On my box type the shifter knobs are 4" apart, which i believe to be standard since the shifter I have has rods that are 4" difference. On this transmission i'm not sure about, the shifter knobs are 2" apart, and the tail shaft housing (I think that's what it's called) is a lot smaller than the box style tranny I'm running now. My question is would I be ok with this transmission? I pulled the cover off and cant see any internal damage so I'd like to use it. I can post pics, provide casting numbers, or give you more information if you can confirm anything that way. Any help is greatly appreciated! Oh and by the way, this new transmission is also a 1.68 second gear, if that matters.

I'm not sure which casting numbers you need to verify, but on the cover over the gears, it's got 3849534, and on the tail shaft housing it has GM-3855722, the way I'm reading it online, it came out of a 60's corvette, a passenger car transmission, with no synchronizers. Any idea if it'll be ok in a b mod?

Ok, cool, just by looking at the splines they look the same, but i haven't tried putting the drive shaft in yet, so that's something to think about. Guess I'll try going with it, thanks!

I've seen old aluminum case Power Glide transmissions with that other spline too and that's what makes me think that the earlier stuff was different such as in a '57 Chevy or something like that. If it looks the same and the yoke fits it'll probably work.

Back