Scelzi Slowed by Tough Luck During King of the West Race at Placerville

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
Inside Line Promotions - PLACERVILLE, Calif. (April 21, 2014) - After starting on the right foot, bad luck struck Dominic Scelzi a trio of times last Saturday at Placerville Speedway during the King of the West 410 Sprint Car Series event.
Despite a high pill draw that sent him out to qualify late, Scelzi opened the race by timing in sixth quickest on the bullring.
"We went out really late, which I thought was going to hurt us," he said. "The car was absolutely perfect. We were able to put down two really good laps."
That lined Scelzi up on the inside of the second row for his heat race.
"We were under Kyle Hirst on the exit of turn two and the car in second place spun out and wheelied," he said. "I'm not quite sure how it happened, but he jumped over Kyle and landed on my car. It broke the front end, destroyed the wing and bent the frame."
Scelzi was unable to restart the heat race. The team repaired as much damage as possible before Scelzi hit the track for the 12-lap B Main.
"The car felt phenomenal again," he said. "We were able to grab the lead from Bud (Kaeding) on the start and we had about three restarts that we held him off."
Scelzi claimed the win in the B Main to transfer to the main event, which he started on the outside of the fifth row.
"Right off the bat we had a great start," he said. "I was running the middle and nobody was running in the middle. We drove into fifth and the car in fourth place got loose. He spun out in turns three and four and I had nowhere to go. He came down and cut my right rear."
The team changed the flat tire for Scelzi during the caution a couple of laps into the race and he restarted at the back.
"We got it fixed, but we grabbed a larger tire so it gave us a lot more stagger than we had at the beginning," he said. "We were loose and I just stayed on the bottom the entire race. At the end there was a yellow flag with about three or four laps to go. The top was a little better in turns three and four earlier in the race. We decided that it'd be a good idea that I go up there and I just got my right rear over the lip."
Scelzi tapped the wall exiting turn four and tipped over with approximately two laps remaining. He was credited with an 18[sup]th[/sup]-place result.
"Once again I'm very disappointed with our run," he said. "We had an absolutely phenomenal race car. We've turned our program around 180 degrees. Things just haven't gone our way. We're working very hard and I'm very excited for next week at Chico."
Scelzi will take this weekend off before the 24[sup]th[/sup] annual Dave Bradway Jr. Memorial at Silver Dollar Speedway in Chico, Calif., on May 3 with the King of the West 410 Sprint Car Series.
QUICK RESULTS -
April 19 - Placerville Speedway in Placerville, Calif. - Qualifying: 6; Heat race: DNF (3); B Main: 1 (2); Feature: 18 (10).
SEASON STATS -
12 races, 0 wins, 1 top five, 1 top 10, 2 top 15s, 4 top 20s
UP NEXT -
May 3 at Silver Dollar Speedway in Chico, Calif., for the 24[sup]th[/sup] annual Dave Bradway Jr. Memorial with the King of the West 410 Sprint Car Series
MEDIA LINKS -
Twitter: https://twitter.com/DominicScelzi41
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gary-Scelzi-Motorsports/225890834113599
SPONSOR SPOTLIGHT - Carlucci Transport
Formed in 2001, Carlucci Transport has grown into a leader in the transport business, ranging from agricultural commodities to freight. With more than 200 power units servicing California, Carlucci Transport not only continues to meet, but stay ahead of the State of California's CARB (California Air Resource Board) compliance laws. For more information, visit http://www.CarlucciTransport.com.
"I really would like to thank everyone at Carlucci Transport, especially Nick and his wife for all of the support the past few years," Scelzi said. "I really enjoy having them as friends as well as sponsors."
Scelzi would also like to thank Whipple Superchargers, Fowler Packing, Fuel Delivery Services, Inc., Roth Motorsports, Carlucci Transport, Panella Trucking, Red Rose Transportation, AXA Equitable Insurance with Bob & Gina Estrada, Tim Jones, G&J Truck Sales, Red Line Oil, K&N Filters, Sparco, ButlerBuilt Professional Seat Systems and Schoenfeld Headers for their continued support.

Back