Seets v the big UMP names.

t.nie

Patience Tester
Tom Seets is the hotshoe on the TCS half mile this year, and is generally at the front in anything he decides to pedal. Yet, for whatever reasons, there seems to be this regular suggestion that for him to truly "prove his worth" he should jump on the UMP bandwagon and race the Gundakers, Dixons and Melvins on their turf. Well, why dont they give the half mile a shot? That would be a better test, limited rules package, half mile track, one night a week to make or break you. That way, its more about the driver and not about the car, and since you only have a very limited amount of nights to race, you have some real pressure on you to perform. Not many chances to score big, so you gotta make it count.

I would think that any of those big UMP names who really wanted to prove their worth could build a competitive TCS LM with no problem, and then we could really see "whos the man." That could be a lot of fun to watch. Any takers?

None taken. Yes, Bert did. But, there are some factors to consider when reviewing the last two years of Seets at TCS. He actually started each season in dominant fashion, winning numerous features in the first half of the season. However, he also ended up blowing motors and not getting back out for extended lengths of time, or not at all. My opinion is that had Tom been funded the way he has been this year in those years, it would have been a fight to the wire. You dont win if you dont race though, and Toms forced absences killed his championship run.

This year, he blew a motor and didnt miss any racing at all. That in itself marks this year out as different to the last couple of years. It is also true that this year his realistic shot at winning a huge chunk of cash nationally made it absolutely necessary for the motor to get fixed, if he missed one night he would have seen his cpi drop so far as to never be able to get back in it again. Like I said in another thread, total track domination is the only way to get the huge payoff, just racing regularly at the front and bagging a fair amount of features wont get you there. So you have to get ouot there and win, no matter what. And that is what he has done this year, compared to previous years.

WOW FOR 500 TO WIN THAT'S GOING OT BRING IN A TONOF CARS YEAH RIGHTWITH SOMEOF THEMRUNNING3 MAY BE 4 TO5 NIGHTS A WEEK IN UMP WHENARE THEY GONNA HAVE TIME TO RUNWITH A LIMITED CLASS IF YOUR GOING TO PLAY WITH BIG BOYS IT HAS TO BE ON THERE TURF SORRY TO SAY

Seets

Seets tried his hand at Mt.Vernon last night. He was fast, but no competition for Melvin. Burwell almost gave him a run for the first few laps. track was really rough and Melvin slipped a bunch, but still ended up on top.

Sorry to say, but that was not Tom Seets, that was his brother John racing at mount vernon last night. You have the wrong Seets. Also, dont forget, Tom has run ump for many years in the modified division and as I recall he did rather well~~~He is as good of a driver as those other late model racers that you are talking about and when the drivers all have the same driving skills, then the guy with the most money, and best luck wins. And as far as the half mile goes, put your money where your mouth is and get a car, put it on the half mile and see what you can do, its not as easy as driving to K-mart.

Which ever Seets that was driving last night at Mt Vernon, I thought that they did a great job. if it wasnt for the spin and getting sent to the back I feel they would have been right there with melvin. Burwell also did a great job last night. just one thing with racing against rodney, he looks for that one mistake or slip and he jumps on it. and then its hard to get caught up with him.
last night at mt vernon, i thought all the races (LM, Mods, and SB) were good races and well ran.
:) :)

seets

which seets ran mt vernon last night,tom or john,toms car is nascar and johns is ump,johns is the 360 car

i could be wrong about this but if memory serves me right .....tom raced the econol late model class in the early 90s and walk away u.m.p. champ of the year.....he has raced with the so called.....(big dogs) and ran quit well with them....so all this talk about tom meeting them or them meeting tom is old news .........thats already been done......there is no dobt tom is having a great year and it is always exciting to watch him race....no matter what class or what track he is at....just my 2 cents.....

i belive ED Dixon drove 1 the same time tom seets did ....and u dirt hole consider ed dixon a bid dog ...dont you?

My basic premise when starting this thread was simply to challenge this idea that Tom has to go to UMP to get respect. I dont agree, and I actually think it is a much easier proposition to run UMP and do well, than to compete for the NASCAR title, for many reasons. Not the least being the extremely limited car and amount of events available in which to prove your worth in NASCAR, as compared to the very few rules and endless amount of UMP events to go race in and get your points.

How many drivers in any series can boast of a similar wins/starts ratio that Tom has going this year? Very few. And I dont see any of the so called Big Dogs lining up for a shot at it, either. I actually think Tom would be better off running UMP for the cash, cause he would surely pull more in on a week to week basis, race more often, and get less criticism, but whatever he decides is for his and his car owner's own reasons. Good luck in the next couple of weeks, and whatever happens, its been a helluva year.

TOM SEETS HAS RACED JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING- EVERYWHERE, AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER. HE IS A VERY GOOD DRIVER AND HAS ALWAYS HELD HIS OWN EVERYTIME I'VE SEEN HIM RACE. THERE IS NO DOUBT IN MY MIND, IF HE HAD A WELL FUNDED UMP LATE MODEL RIDE HE WOULD RUN WITH ANYBODY.

WHY HE CHOOSES TO RUN AT TCS IN THAT LATE MODEL CLASS??? I WOULD BE INCLINED TO THINK, HE LIKES THE TRACK AND THE POTENTIAL PAYOFF IN THE END! I KNOW THE CHAMP PAYOFF WAS BERT CHEATHAM'S REASON FOR DOING IT. THE CHAMP PAYOFF ONLY, NOT THE TRACK, OR RACING QUALITY.

Why dont you just stop questioning what he does and how he does it and let him race what and however he wishes to????

^^^^^^^ You said it ! ! Tom is a awsome driver and loves what he does. I love watching him race and enjoy seeing all the kids that run down on the track to meet him after his wins. He brings in alot of the crowd at TCS weather people want to admit it or not. Maybe after this year he might move up to something different, or maybe not. He is going for the regional championship and doing a fine good job at it. Just keep kickin A** Tom, and good luck. JMO

Back