steel block winged sprint's at Benton 2011

sprintman01

ATTENTION ! HOW DOES A " steel block winged sprint " class sound ? ANY TAKER'S ? PLEASE GET IN TOUCH WITH ME IF YOU WOULD HAVE INTEREST IN RUNNING A CLASS LIKE THIS. The rule's will most likely be VERY simple / minimal for ease of tech . SUCH AS IRON BLOCK AND 2 3/16 " injection size . That may be about all we check...this keeps it fun and we can find TYPICAL used part's to build an engine . When we go with something like ASCS , then we have to use an expensive cylinder head just to be legal etc..PLEASE DON'T HESITATE TO CONTACT ME WITH QUESTION'S OR TO SHOW YOUR INTEREST ! Sean Wolfe (618)925-4413 cell...call or text..OR visit www.racingentrepreneurs.strawmotorsports.com and contact us through there. If you call please leave a voicemail and your name and # good time to call you back

I would love to see such a class to run at Benton! This would allow the 360's around the area a opportunity to run a competive class! We dont need all the ascs rules to have
great show for the fans and build the car & fan count back up!!!!! Even if its just a night a month or every other getting the word out is gonna be the key to making anything
work!!!!! Thanks

Thank you so much for your support ! Please ask any friend's to come by here and post to show support. I have a meeting with Jerry Sunday eve or Monday , it would be nice to have a lot of support here for him to see ! I think this can happen ! I am building my car back up and I know where a LOT of part's are if anyone else want's to build a car... :) Sean

Maybe I'm missing something but ASCS already has a steel block and 2 3/16 intake stack rule along with head rules and other stuff. If you only have those two rules you're opening it up to a lot more motor than a current legal ASCS 360. How is that going to be better?

With Memphis not running 360s anymore Benton should give them a try. There's some around Farmington, in SEMO, St Louis, plus several around Memphis. Nearly, if not all, of those are ASCS legal already. Why make another set of rules that no one currently has? How many people are going to jump in and build one to race at this place only. There's plenty of 360s for sale at reasonable prices. It doesn't take a $30,000 360 to be competitive. I know for a fact because we have one for less than half that and it's won races.

If Benton wants to put people in the seats they need a showcase class that doesn't currently exist in the area. People in SEMO already have Malden as an option to see 5-6 classes of stock cars. You need to offer something different. At one time sprint cars were pretty popular there. Various problems led to their demise and ultimately the track entirely. With the right promoting and purse I believe you could get several sprint cars and I think that would bring people back to the track. You can't compete with Farmington because there's not enough 410s for two tracks on Sat night. 360s are the best choice because there's already several of them within range. A new class of sprints isn't going to bring many cars and people wouldn't continue coming to watch a short field.

Or they can simply be Malden north and compete with then for the same fans. Unfortunately I'm afraid all that's going to do is hurt Malden while not really adding many to the fold.

Just my .02.

There are car's sitting or car's even running with iron block's out there that may wish to come out. If we go ASCS rule's , I and other guy's would have to spend more money than we want /have to put something together.Some of the best price's I have seen for used ASCS head's was around $2,000 ,there are other head's less than that brand new. How bout this ,we are still "ironing this out" . What about iron block,any head,2 3/16" injection , 360 CID +/- a bit....That makes an ASCS car legal , a 305, or we can be creative...KEEP IT FUN...If we run every other week, those of us that wish to can hit Farmington on our "off week" ..I ran there with an "all steel 360" and finished as high as 11th with 20 car's . My motor will be a 360 with alum head's and 2 3/16 " injection and I am confident I can run top 10 at Farmington with it. I DO respect your opinion and hope that folk's with an ASCS will consider supporting us. They don't have to "change "anything and us building something else won't have to spend extra on a "special ' head . I sure din't mean ANY offense NOR did I mean to leave out ASCS racer's ,this is why we decided on the iron block and 2 3/16" injection etc... If you have connection's with some folk's who MAY have some interest PLEASE send them here and ask them to post some support.

No offense taken. Everything has to start somewhere. We'd be interested IF the purse is good. I'll just be honest though, we're not going to be interested in a XX Speedway like purse. We aren't going to run the car for $100 to start and $600 to win. It's just not worth it. I'd rather drive to Eldon.

Benton could get a good field of sprint cars but they have to pay a good purse. If they can't afford to put the money up front then they're just not going to be very successful. It's like any business, you have to be able to invest up front to get a return later. Unfortunately a lot racetracks try to do it backwards and it never really grows.

Good luck. We'll continue to watch what develops.

I think you should consider non-wing open engine rules on Friday nights. Will the track have a safety crew comparable to that at St. Francois County Raceway?

Openwheel...I'm with you on the XX pay deal, XX is a fun little track if but I agree bout the pay. XX is the 1st track I ever ran a sprinter. I am NOT "the man" at Benton. I have a meeting with him to discuss sprint's etc. And I wil convey to him what I'm hearing. I agree, we HAVE to pay like Farmington or Eldon to draw car's . I have word out to businesses for class sponsor's and the like . Thank you for showing interest ! I will keep this up yo date on here! Have an awesome weekend !

Tie down....when I meet with Jerry I will inquire about the safety crew. Sprint's are different breed of animal and we need a great safety team . As for the non-wing show....I'm not too sure about a "weekly" deal but I do think that. The non-wing racer's would enjoy the track AND the fan's would enjoy seeing them run also ! How bout I see about a hand full of show's ? Fair enough for now ? I will throw my cell # here for folk's who may wish to call or text me . Show support or otherwise ....(618)925-4413 Do you run non+wing ?

I spoke with a friend who had a couple of great point's... I will bring them "to the table" for sure. An aluminum motor / 410...have a minimum weight...and / or pay 360's extra money similar to what Jacksonville, IL. Offer's. I will post their site so you can click on their "payout" tab at the top of their page. I spoke with the promoter of Jacksonville today and got some insight from him also. Sean

That payout is a great way to bring cars back to Benton! However I'm not sure if they will have the backing for such a payout! If we can push for a monthly show
or twice a month maybe more likely to happen at first! Thanks for the effort of getting sprints back at Benton!!!!!

You are SO welcome! I am enjoying meeting people and I am really learning a TON about the business end of a race track . I am thinking every other week would be the best also. We can run Benton on the opposite night of River side (west Memphis). Well, I will keep folk's posted !

Sprinterwife...It sound's like yall would come to Benton then ? Do you have a car ? I am writing names down as kind of a "petition " so we can see in "list form" who would support in the way of bringing a car. Right now I have CONFIRMED 12 car's that will be there. I have plenty of other call's to make but it is a goos start. I am simply a "mediator" and have NO say ,as this is not MY track and in NO way want to seem like I'm stepping in or stepping on toe's . I just want to help get sprint's at Benton. I want to see it stay open.... Sean Call or text me please :) (618)925-4413 E-mail also sprintman_2001@yahoo.com

Back