Street stock tech!

Pate11

I think there needs to be a lot more. I also think the feature winner should draw from a hat to decide what gets checked. It's time to take this class back.

you know something is up when you have a ss that is running within a half second of the bmods. If you have that much money to throw at a ss ( a beginner or guy Who doesn't want to put a bunch of money in a racecar class) then maybe you should bump up a class or 2 Because obviously it's not a money issue. And I find it funny that other tracks find these select cars illegal but our local tracks don't. Makes you wonder what it is going on.

It is really simple. All they have to do is just pick a thing or two each week to check at random. It could be anything, clutch, carburetor, cam type etc just so that the racers don't know what might be looked at with scrutiny. That will tend to keep it under control. But another thing is that you might be up against a combination that has seen a lot of development time/work and not necessarily any trick parts. Remember as an example that the cost difference between the wrong cam(what most guys have) and the right one is zero dollars.

Im with you on the tech and im even willing to go as far as to put the protest money up! Dave as far as you comment, im not so sure you can police the cams as they have just let them run wild in that class. Most are running a cam thats over a .500 lift and in my opinion anything over a .500 lift your just pissin in the wind because the stock heads with the valves you have to run can only flow so much and anything over .500 is just to much.

They developed a cam for the Rochester. Getting more power and turning over 7000 where most quit at 6500

I'm not sure but that's what there getting. Our motor won't go over 65 no matter what gear we have. At b town we were losing about half a car at the end of every straight.

Jo Myer was telling me about this awhile back. I think this is what the Balwin engines have. I know the Google doesn't have much info about it.

There is no magic to any of this and there are several ways to get more high RPM control from a flat tappet hydraulic. Running a lifter with reduced travel can really help but if that isn't an option you can do something similar with the adjustment if you're willing to experiment with the pushrod length.

With no oil in the lifter adjust the valvetrain so that the lifter bottoms out and then come back up a few thousandths. Then increase the spring loads that you are using. Go with something similar to what you would run on a solid, 140 seat or so. With a hydraulic cam you have no lash ramp so you have to give it just a little bit of room to allow for when the engine warms up.

Another problem area with the Rochester is that the fuel curve can be very bad at high rpm, getting very rich. Just pulling jet isn't the answer because you'll end up with a "hole" down low. A really good carburetor package can mean the world and fuel curve is more important than airflow.

None of this is cheating but it can really make a difference. I would assume that with the Rochester and the iron intake that a 350 will not horsepower peak any higher than about 5500rpm. So turning to 7000rpm is probably about where you should try to be. Put it on the dyno and see how high you have to turn it to drop off about 10% on the power, any more RPM is probably wasting time.

And I find it funny that other tracks find these select cars illegal but our local tracks don't. Makes you wonder what it is going on.

Makes me wonder if the other tracks are doing it correctly. I have seen a few false readings before.

I like watching imca stock cars and hobby stocks online. They seem to be a huge class in Iowa. Especially the stock cars and the competition is great.

View: https://youtu.be/akjoeLUfjKs

Illinois street stocks are dead in comparison.

If I can get a job in the stl area I would volunteer to tech every weekend

Im with you on the tech and im even willing to go as far as to put the protest money up! Dave as far as you comment, im not so sure you can police the cams as they have just let them run wild in that class. Most are running a cam thats over a .500 lift and in my opinion anything over a .500 lift your just pissin in the wind because the stock heads with the valves you have to run can only flow so much and anything over .500 is just to much.

There really isn't anything wrong with running as much lift as is mechanically possible. If the head levels out at .500 lift putting in a cam with .700 lift could be superior as long as the head doesn't have some sort of severe problem with the short side, stalling and backing up. It will improve breathing because the valve will spend more time at or above it's "saturation point" so to speak. The engine only sees the relative restriction over time not the amount of lift or curtain area once the piston demand becomes high say 75 degrees ATDC.

Having a lift rule is somewhat ludicrous just because rocker ratio is highly variable anyway.

I like watching imca stock cars and hobby stocks online. They seem to be a huge class in Iowa. Especially the stock cars and the competition is great.

View: https://youtu.be/akjoeLUfjKs

Illinois street stocks are dead in comparison.

If I can get a job in the stl area I would volunteer to tech every weekend
The hobby and stock car classes are a huge hit in Iowa. The guy who built mine is in Iowa. The only thing you have to remember is, IMCA doesnt joke around, there is none of this "you have two weeks to correct it"...if its illegal your out! Simple as that! When i talked to him about my car he couldnt believe the things we could do that they couldnt do. They keep a tight grip on those two classes and thats more than likely why they are so huge up there. Late models isnt a big hit up there either. Its mainly hobby stocks,stock cars and mods up there.

from what i have seen, they don't need lates with all the a mods, sport mods, stocks and hobby they have

IMCA also does a great job with IMCA TV

If you new and just coming in to sirt racing and you build a street stock by the rules, you aint got a chance to win. There's no way a 350 rotating assembly that is supposed to be stock components is going to hold together turning that 7000 rpms, race after race. You'll be picking up rods of the track. I pretty sure the ones that are winning are running scat rotating assemblys .then when they went to hoosier tires it let the teams or mom and dad that had the money by new tires and it was supposed to be for us to by used cheaper tires from modifed guys, go back to street tires . I liked it alot better back when it was stock and street tires, you could go to any track and anyone in the top ten could of won because it was 2 and 3 wide back .jmo

Back