The new late model rules

LTmod12

Richie Standridge
Don't get me wrong and I am all for safety but the new rules are really unrealistic not to mention how much it will cost us racers what's your opinions of them

If those rules are not adjusted then we are done! If my Butlerbuilt containment seat or new RCI fuel cell isn't going to be good enough I'm not going to buy new. I have a Hans Device and a high dollar suit but I know a lot do not, that's a lot of money. I'm seeing it at around $5k for some to get to the rule.
But the fire system is stupid, what needs scrutinized and enforced by these sanctioning bodies is making tracks have certified fire and safety crews. I'd rather pay more at the gate and be sure I have experienced people there, than a device with a nozzle aimed in 2 places to save my life!
This will eliminate weekly local latemodel racing. Maybe I will just cut off the front clip and put on a new stub and race modifieds?
Lucas and Woo would rather eliminate all weekly latemodel's and have them just come in for specials is what it looks like to me!!!!!

Does NASCAR even carry fire suppression? This system sounds like it is on par will an aircraft fire extinguisher system damn near.

Good bye late models.

Some of those rules have been in place for a year or two just not inforced I don't think there going to send any cars home not sure how they can force them on the LM class and not every class speeds aren't that much different

I am planning on getting a HANS device but a full containment seat -- I have clostrphobia now -on one of my cars I have a helmet stop on the right side- could install one on the left side --

Unfortunately, this is what happens when you have a few guys get killed on the track in the same season. right or wrong, it's easier to regulate the race cars than it is the race tracks.

This looks like lawyers telling sanctions to protect themselves from liability by making these rules. And insurance companies putting their two cents in.

This looks like lawyers telling sanctions to protect themselves from liability by making these rules. And insurance companies putting their two cents in.
My thoughts too. Not so sure if its ump making and enforcing this but rather the lawyers and insurance companies demanding this

two sides to this mandate - if the racing rules makers REQUIRE you to have this equipment and you get hurt you can sue them - if they sugest the new requirments and you get hurt and do not have the equipment ..it can be put on your azz ..

I get the "suggest versus require" bit of that. But I don't think you can sue them if you follow the rules and still get hurt.

You still sign that form that says racing is dangerous and you waiver any right to sue the track and participate at your own risk. All these rules are addressing is some ways in which someone could claim the sanction was negligent in not making you take full preventative measures in your own car with your safety equipment. That doesn't put the responsibility all on the sanction if you get hurt, as "motor racing is dangerous and you participate at your own risk." It just absolves them of one more thing someone could possibly try to use against them. Write it in the rules, save the lawyer cost of defending a lawsuit later.

Writing this kind of stuff into the rules doesn't cost the sanction anything. It just puts more cost on the racer.

I think the big part of it was the wheel covers being properly secured and no steel wheels. Flying wheels/wheel covers pose a pretty big threat to anyone getting hit by them. The fire stuff just seems like overkill.

Last edited:
HEY LENNY REMEMBER WHEN THE SAFTY CK WAS LEO STICKIN HIS HEAD IN THE CAR LOOKIN FOR LOOSE TOOLS AND GRABIN YOUR BELTS AND SAID TIGHTER!!
AND HERE WE STILL ARE TODAY

On the other hand, if they mandated a certain part that may make you go faster everyone would buy it and not complain in the least.

After doing some research, UMP definitely needs to push the new rules off a year. I contacted circle track supply about a seat. They sent me a link to a 88 series seat stating that it is 2017 legal for UMP. In the description it didnt have anything about the sfi rating, so I contacted Kirkey. They said the seat doesnt have the rating, but they are in the process of developing it. Also that last they heard the rule was going to be pushed off until 2018. So buyers be aware of the misinformation out there.

Back