The story of WINN-DIXIE! No it's not about racing.

justpassinbyu

There are...
”ANGELS AMONG US!”
MY name is “WINN-DIXIE”, no I wasn’t in the movie (but I should have been). This is MY story of my “ANGELS!”

I am about 6 months old and one-half Great Pyrenees and one half black lab. I am black and white and a beautiful young lady (so I’ve been told). I was born in a barn out side of Fredericktown Missouri, along with my brothers and sisters. Our care takers moved away and left us. Well, my sister and I and a couple of out friends that lived with us. We were so sad and lonely and didn’t understand what we had done so wrong that we deserved this. No food, no kind words or touches of Love. Our mother had been taken off somewhere and never came back. My sister and I were very close and clung to each other desperately trying to survive. A kind lady knew about us so her , her son & grand daughter, that lives down the road, took pity on us and stopped everyday to fed us good food and love & pet us. Some angry people living around us were not happy and took it out on us. We were chased, yelled at, ran off and even shot at. We all were so very frightened and feared what would happen to us. But at the same time we knew everyday our new friends would stop by to see us and spend some time with us and of course give us food to eat. The nights were so cold and filled with loneliness and we, my sister and I, would huddle together for comfort and warmth. Fearing every sound we heard in the dark of the night. One day my sister and I went for a walk, just to explore and try and make new friends. Well we didn’t find new friends. What we found was two days of hell (excuse my language) on earth. All I remember was that we were running so fast and hard and could hear gunshots all around us. We ran and ran. When finally I stopped to look back, my sister was not with me. When I found her she was dead. Oh how my heart ached! What would I do now? I then realized that I had been shot too, in my left front leg. Strange, I didn’t feel any pain. Only the pain coming from my Heart from losing my sister. I lay down beside her for awhile praying maybe she was just passed out from the running. But in my heart I knew she would not get up. I saw all the blood and knew she was gone. What should I do? I decided to try and make it back to the old barn where I knew my new friends would be stopping by to feed and visit us. Oh, the pain was getting worse, much worse in my leg now. I could see it was just hanging on by a small piece of my own skin. I had to make it back to the barn. FINALLY I saw it just a little way from me. I could make it, I knew I could and there’d be help for me there. I made it to an old picnic table in the yard of the house and I collapsed. Just a few more feet I thought, but I was in far too much pain and too exhausted to go any farther. Then the next thing I remember was opening my eyes and seeing my friends comforting me and trying to help. I could hear my lady friend on the phone calling someone and my little girl friend was kneeling beside me stroking my head telling me it was going to be okay now, they would take care of me. My lady friend called her son just down the road and they came up with blankets and shoved the picnic table off me. My friend Jerry the picked me up and laid me in the back of my lady friends SUV. My little girl friend Cassidy is only 8 years old and she stayed back there with me and her daddy Jerry. She gently and lovingly held me and they were all telling me I was going to be fine that they were taking me to Dr. Scott. This was late on Saturday afternoon and Dr. Scott is not usually there, BUT, God was looking after me and he was there at the office. Dr. Scott immediately got me something for the pain and told my friends I would not only loose my leg but my whole shoulder as well and it would cost several hundred dollars. But my friends said do it! They just wanted to save my life. Monday morning came and I went to surgery. When I woke up. My leg and should was gone and lots of staples was in its place. My friends came to visit and I was so happy to see them. Dr, Scott said I could go home in a couple of days. But I wondered in my own mind, “HOME, home to where? Where will I go to now!” I didn’t know at that point I had a HOME! The day came for me to go home and my little friend Cassidy Fite and her daddy, Jerry Fite came and picked me up. I was still unaware of where I was going to go from here. On the drive from the hospital I noticed we were heading back toward the old barn where I had been left, fear gripped my mind and body, but when we got to the old barn, we kept going, passing it up and continuing up Village Creek. I was confused! Then we pulled into this driveway with this pretty house, a yard and some strange looking other animals living there. I also saw a cat named Patches and a boxer named Sammie (I found out the names later). Jerry gently carried me into the garage where it was nice and warm and they had nice blankets for me and food and water. I was frightened but my Cassidy, Jerry, Vicky(Francis) and Miss Kayee kept telling me I was safe and I was HOME at last. They told me nobody would ever hurt me again and I was a part of their FAMILY FOREVER! I am one of the lucky ones.

I tell you my story in hopes that when you see an abandoned dog, cat or whatever that you remember ME and PLEASE HELP THEM! There is always someone you can call that will get us help or tell you how to accomplish that. I , my sisters and brothers were born because Mom wasn’t spayed. PLEASE don’t let this happen to anymore of us, have your pets SPAYED or NEUTURED. We have feelings and feel the loneness of abandonment.

Well that’s been about a month ago and I am doing very well now. I have all the staples removed and most important of all I learned that there are “TRULY ANGELS AMONG US!” Because I live with MY ANGELS!

Here is a thought I would like to share with ALL of YOU!
BE kind to animals,
Be kind to trees,
Be kind to children and one another,
....and GOD will be kind to YOU.
And that’s a PROMISE!

STORY SUBMITTED BY: Winn-Dixie Fite

I was ...Rescued by CAST-A-WAY’S RETREAT & Rescue

that was an amazing story. Yes there truly are some wonderful people left out here in this old world. THANK GOD for miracles. They happen everyday we just need to thank God for each and everyone one of them. Thank you for this blessed story.

Back