Track insurance ?

AKM9

With everyone required to carry their own insurance through Obama care I was wondering if tracks premiums should go down after all track insurance is a secondary insurance seems to me they should be able to get by with liability?

Posted on FB by Amy Swindell

Amy Swindell
1 hr ·
With Kevin's injury, we have had to deal with many things. Insurance has turned into a nightmare and we want to give some advice to drivers, especially those with children. We all have "just raced" at tracks and never thought to question the amount of coverage you as a participant would have if you were injured. Please do not think for a minute that the tracks will have anything close to what you need. We were shocked to learn of the policy limits, Knoxville being a premier ...racetrack only carries $50,000 per accident. It sounds like a big amount until you have a hospital stay, much less 2 eight hour surgeries. Just the medical helicopter took a huge piece. His personal health insurance was tapped out and then the Knoxville policy picked up after that. So please check your own policies and make sure you have adequate coverage.

What I am encouraging drivers and their family to do is carry either a disability policy that will help with your monthly bills, or get a workman's comp policy. Sure it's a couple thousand dollar expense, but could make all the difference if you get hurt. Just call your insurance agent and ask. Trust me, it would be worth every cent. Kevin carried Workman's Comp when he raced NASCAR, and we sure wish he still would have had it.

I know how tough insurance costs are on these racetracks, it's scary. I've always wondered when we went to these smaller hometown type tracks what they had for coverage. All that have raced are guilty of not even looking to see if there was a ambulance, much less paramedics. It's just what we did. You raced and took the chance, didn't worry about it.

Please, worry about it, if not for yourself do it for your family. Call your insurance agent today and ask.

Most will not do anything and take the chances. They will buy fancy wraps and worry about bigger and better engines and tires. Most secondary policies are around 500 a year. Well worth it in my opinion.

I can see in the near future tracks may require you to provide insurance on yourselves before signing on to releivr them of some of the burden. Its being talked about just not implemented....yet.

I know this will cause a brain aneurysm to all you conservatives out there. But just think, none of insurance problems of the Swindell family, plus save money for race tracks and businesses, if there was a national health care system. I have seen it work in person when racing in England. Don’t fall for the propaganda lies the insurance and pharmaceuticals companies and their lobbyists regurgitate.

Tracks have insurance as protection from you if you get hurt on their property. It is not coverage for you the racer. Quit expecting everyone to wipe your ass for you. If you want coverage go BUY it and take care of yourself! This is what Amy Swindell is saying in her message, if you can't understand that then you must of hit the wall too many times already.

im sure the swindell's situation in an extreme one. I've never heard of personal insurance being tapped out. I also find it hard to believe that the sanctioning body that he ran under didn't have insurance. Not sure about the tracks liability coverage however this is the second time tri city has reposted the article. Either they're really concerned about the driver or telling you they don't have very good coverage... Possibly both. Bottom line don't assume anything.

I've got my own insurance , because i had it happen to me first hand. The track i ran at had insurance but it is secondary at best. They did finally pay what mine didnt but i had to jump threw hoops. But the track i ran at were very helpful and kept on them to pay, and the finally did. And thats been around 16 years ago..

What our experience is. When our son Alan broke his wrist at I-55 everything was covered that our coverage did not. We have a $5000 deductible with a very high cap, I think around a mil.? The tracks insurance covered the deductible and ours the rest. If it had gone over our max then UMP's policy would have been added beyond that. If no insurance i think it would have been over 30k or maybe as high as 60k for the surgeries. Didn't cost us a dime!! So pretty happy here, but in a case where it goes into the million range I'd be worried. But for someone with a low max. pay I would defiantly look into additional coverage.

Tracks have insurance as protection from you if you get hurt on their property. It is not coverage for you the racer. Quit expecting everyone to wipe your ass for you. If you want coverage go BUY it and take care of yourself! This is what Amy Swindell is saying in her message, if you can't understand that then you must of hit the wall too many times already.
Everyone has their own insurance now as required by law! The question is could they get by with a liability policy instead of the high premiums they are paying now! Maybe some more money available to add to purses or wipe their ass with whatever they want!

What the tracks have is a liability policy that pays for injury at their place of business. Do you think they carry a policy just for you? The liability and medical coverage they have is not much different than what you have on your homeowners coverage, this is not a "racers benefit or plan" that are paying for. The extra insurance Amy and I are taking about is disability insurance. If you don't understand what it is, do yourself a favor and go sit down with your insurance agent and ask some questions.

The way the insurance used to work was if you had your own insurance track insurance picked up the secondary if you didn't have insurance track insurance covered you. I'm not on here trying to get a freaking insurance policy from the race tracks I've had my own insurance since my 18th birthday! It's a damn question trying to figure out if race tracks can lower their premiums by the laws that have been in place! FYI if I wanted to run a track with no insurance at all I can because I am covered under the two policies I have "yes I do have a separate plan" just not wanting to be a smart ass to all the insurance gurus that don't freaking realize the meaning of this post!

Again, tracks only have liability insurance. They do not carry any health insurance for anyone that participates in events or fans. The tracks cost for coverage has no bearing on if you have health insurance or not. What does make the cost of the tracks insurance to increase is the amount of claims against them, so everytime someone wants the tracks insurance to pay hospital or doctor bills their rates increase. It's no different than your car insurance, lots of claims equals increased cost. Just remember, there is always a reason the ticket prices increase or the price of a hot dog. Expenses always have to be paid for by someone. Hope this clears it up for you.

Come on Chevy power whoever you are it's the same thing I'm getting at but do I need a freakin chisel to get it through! How can you be so dense that I am not expecting tracks to pay for people's babys being born for Christ sake think a lil bit!

I understand track insurance I've benn doing this for almost 40 years it was a question about how tracks could lower their insurance premiums to bring more money to the cars! It isn't about me having coverage or anyone else!

After the accident at Mt.Vernon and Tom Cats dad at Highland I doubt the Insurance people are looking to lower premiums there is a lot of risk involved with dirt track racing.

Not near as much as you think ! I'd like to see their books! In the mid 80s a guy got killed at highland! Wayne did not die unfortunate accident it happened right behind my truck. But the same insurance company covers damn near every Motorsports program in the country figure that out for a Friday ,Saturday night during the summer?

Back