UMP needs to go away,,,,,,for B Mods

ALCOHOL

#1 Rule Bender
UMP has started to ruin the new B Mod class already,,,,just look at their site for the B Mod rules,,,,It is a nightmare,,They have multiple choices of rules for this class,,,,,,Where do you fit in? Here in Central Illinois,,track promoters can change rules as they please. Why? Because UMP can not set up a std set of rules for this class like they have for late models and mods,,,you can not travel to any track and race without changing something that the tracks have changed,,,such as tires,4 links,,which should never been allowed in this class,,extra weight put on b mods,,why? Where is standardization? Someone talks about making this a crate engine only class,,,not for it because you are demanding GM motors only,,,,not fair to the "other"guys. I still say by using a UMP provided restrictor plate and forget about the cubic inch rule ,this would put drivers on the same page and make the racer get his cars to work instead of the money spent on engine costs,,,,,A's and H tires would work,,it is all about saving money and saving this class before UMP and tracks let it get out of hand,,,,,MANDATE rules,,same rules might I add,,,for every UMP track,,,,Tracks have enough work to do on a race night now,,let alone having a 20 page rule sheet to tech cars by,,,,I am ready for IMCA,,at least you can race anywhere you please and worry about RULES...Just sayin'

UMP kind of got backed into a corner with all the B-mods out there (I have 3)its almost a no win situation for them..Some tracks allow quick changes,some have no cubic inch rule-and you can run a 4 bar car...the restrictor plate makes sense but how do you apply it? I for one would be done in the b-mods if they ever went to crate only-right now if I re-built every 350 motor I have (4 or 5) I would still have under what a crate motor costs...at least the 2 main tracks I run at tec the b-mods and I see revins tec guys looked at the b-mods....here is a thought--find a central location and have a end of season meeting........JMO

Here's how to apply the plate,,,,,a track out west does this on a weekly basis,,,when you pull into track and sign up,,driver has to give track his drivers license,,they give him a plate,,when you are done racing you return your plate for your license,,,,,,,the plate has a tab on it made so that an official can look under air cleaner and see the tab,,hence he knows you have it on,,,but if you modified the plate in any way on the return of it,,you forfeit all money for that night and points for the year,,plain and simple!! Now that is one good way to control the engines..Lenny as far as having a meeting,,they have been done and UMP will not change..

i think the rules nees some tweaking, but I dont think they are that bad. Highland, Brownstown and Flora all have pretty much the same rules and from what I know Macon and Charleston are doing about the same thing. Spoon River and Tri City are a little too open in my opinion. Cedar Ridge is crate motors ONLY and they allow quick changes. The Kankakee and Shady Hill rules are absurd, they are like bombers with modified bodies. i am not sure what the rules are on the UMP website, they dont make much sense. I do think as much attention that has been given to some of the cars with crate engines, the tracks should start checking the cars with 355's. Highland checked cubic inch on the top 5 but I havent seen any compression tests anywhere.

IMCA has two sets of SportMod rules themselves. Because the guys in the south and north can't agree on a set of rules.

UMP could mandate a set of rules for BMods, but everyone's who car doesn't meet those rules will be the first on the internet crying and complaining. Telling their track not to sanction because they don't want to have to change their cars.

Highland, Fayette and other tracks adopted similar rules. Tri-City went with open rules to draw cars from Farmington & Callaway. A weekly racer that runs at Spoon River seems to be the dominate car at Tri-City. Spoon River is going to 602 crate engine only in 2014 for BMods. Which also appears to be what UMP is going to do. IMCA has 602 crate engine or claim engine ($550)... If there was a engine claim at a track around here, that guy doing the claiming would be called every bad word in the book on and off the internet.

All I want is a std set of rules,,not 300 different sets because tracks can do want they want,,,,Man up and agree that UMP is wrong here!! 2 sets of rules are better than what we have now,,,Ray Godsey had a saying on his car in the 80's,,,"UMP SUCKS",,wow how that holds true today

While i agree UMP needs to reign the class in i sort of blame some drivers to as to why its out of hand. Here is why. Say tri city makes a pretty open set of rules which they are. So every driver who has money goes and buys a nice 4 bar car. Sticks a nice set of tires and the best motor money csn buy with a bert trans and goes racing. Now thats like the soapbox derby days where kids was supposed to make their own cars yet the dad's with mechanical abilities and tool as well as links to body shops always seemed to get in their and make it bad for the kid who stuck to whst the hobby was all about. What im saying is the class is an "economy" class! Drivers who run the class should keep it that way! Self manage. But same deal as if UMP set standard rules. You will have the money bag people complaining that its in the rules and they WILL do it. It sucks. The crate motor rule is not the answer. The answer is right in front of every tracks nose. 3 link or leafs only. No quickchanges. No high dollar shocks! Heck id even make them run monroe gas shocks from autozone! (Yes they make shocks thst will bolt to existing race shock brackets and are cheaper!) Its easy to do. No 4 bbl's and i dont care if you run a crate .Make the cars lil ill handling snd make the driver's drive them! If they want all the fancy go fast stuff its why there is an A mod class!

How about ump just forget they make a crate motor. Mandating a crate next season is absurd for a couple reasons. Some guys like myself don't have much money in their motors so having to go to a crate motor would cost much more money. And plus guys that run Ford motors being forced to run gm isn't right.

I don't know what the answer is, but if ump and the promoters don't get on the same page and make set rules and stop changing them to whatever they want. All the low budget guys like myself will be gone. It's hard to compete against big money teams. If I get a top five anymore I feel like I accomplished something. With what I have on my car. Jmo.

ump should take a look at how many crate motors are actually running at the tracks in the st.Louis area...james c. has run 2d 2 nightsw in a row but he knows how to set a car up (watch the 27 car it drives great,a better driver would do good in it-james set it up)and is a fairly good wheelman-he has a used crate in the 19 car---here is what I see happining if ump go's to crate only in the b-mods-----the field will be drastically cut or the track will drop ump on that class---if they take what handeling the cars have now,,whats the feature time limit on the Bs???

You want to control costs and keep racers take a look at these rules.

http://www.springfieldraceway.com/2011010529/rules/2011-b-mod-rules.html

They have a great mix of open and crate motors and on any given night, either one can win.

No matter what we do for rules, some of us are going to have to give and change stuff. If it means that we will have multiple tracks to pick from and not be locked to one track, I'm all for it!

It would be nice to have rules closer to the imca/usra class.. Considering all the big $$ shows are run under those rules.

this post is funny to me since we already had this vote once and only one guy wanted ump. I think all the promoters see the problem with sanctioning every class as ump. you want ump fine only make it late models and amods running for national points. jimmy cummins is right on with his comments. You know i only see two others besides myself that have been here in a bmod from the begining so alot of your thoughts and comments really annoy me when you are the new guys. If you didnt like what we are doing why did you build a car???? Next if it aint broke why do u want to fix it we are getting some of are best car counts and all this bickering does is show how some of you are all about urself. do some of the rules need a little less gray yes but we all have same box to work in these tracks are doing a great job of teching the class so i ask why even think about a restictor plate rules are simple 360 cubic inch all steel limit now that wasnt so hard was it. Now if u want outlaw bmods go over to missouri or kevins track please leave the class alone. thanks jerry thompson

Len this is why i said about handling. Street stock 101. They have been given racing springs shocks and hoosier tires. Then quick steer. Now sheet metal bodies. Yet last night they almost wiped out half the field with repeat cautions. Cautions are going to happen no matter what we do. Personally i think we have made cars more reliant on what is spent on it and setup's versus what the driver can actually do with said equipment. Im not saying its all the car. Driver still has to seal the deal. But equipment sure does make alot of difference on a place like tri city pevely or even highland.

this post is funny to me since we already had this vote once and only one guy wanted ump. I think all the promoters see the problem with sanctioning every class as ump. you want ump fine only make it late models and amods running for national points. jimmy cummins is right on with his comments. You know i only see two others besides myself that have been here in a bmod from the begining so alot of your thoughts and comments really annoy me when you are the new guys. If you didnt like what we are doing why did you build a car???? Next if it aint broke why do u want to fix it we are getting some of are best car counts and all this bickering does is show how some of you are all about urself. do some of the rules need a little less gray yes but we all have same box to work in these tracks are doing a great job of teching the class so i ask why even think about a restictor plate rules are simple 360 cubic inch all steel limit now that wasnt so hard was it. Now if u want outlaw bmods go over to missouri or kevins track please leave the class alone. thanks jerry thompson
I agree with the car count and you said kevin's track is more of an outlaw track versus what a b mod should be and i agree. What is being said is to make the class as a whole and not one track do this. One track do that. No i dont have a b mod. But i did have a sportsman. Ran into this back then and the b mod class is becoming the same deal with rules per track. You have car counts now but if it keeps up people will get tired of being outspent and quit( see the current situation with sportsmans) then if they mandate the crate motor it will get bad. Mandate a motor rule yet run whatever chassis combo your track will let you run? Its going to go in a weird direction then.
I agree seeing tracks iust dumping the ump sanction if they mandate a motor rule. Its a good discussion. Hope it gets to where rules are more even because in next couple of years you could see the class die off(crate class is getting there now!) and it was supposed to be an economical class. Good discussion here. I realize its hard to get everyone to agree on this or that. But its better to talk about problems than not say anything and just let it implode.

Last edited:
as far as i see highland rules seem to be working at flora, brownstown charleston, macon so i dont see were there is a rules problem with our bmods up north is different but is that really a suprise seeing how most things are different it seems north of 72 with tires and all. im open for discussion but think you will see more tracks with our rules now that we have cars, also when is the last time you saw a track follow ump rules in lower divisions???? the local promoters want and need cars they are not going to run a rules package nobody wants!!! REMEMBER THIS IS A HOBBY NONE OF US ARE HEADED TO NASCAR. we all spend what we can afford to when it comes to this as said many times before if you cant afford this class move down till your comfortable.

Create only is rediculous. You want to see the cost of peoples equipment go out the roof, put everyone on the same engine!!!

These tracks just all need to follow USRA b-mod rules, if in ump land they want to run the hoosiers thats fine. I have seen several USRA b mods on american racers out run the "outlaw b mods" at callaway this year who were on hoosiers.

This was taken from another board,,I think racers in other parts of UMP world have same feelings,

pretty simple deal to look at, all other sanctions can stick to one tire and ump cant even provide leadership there. Sport mods or B's are taking off everywhere, and ump is still trying hose that up, by not having one set of rules. no backbone is right on.

Back