Vintage Sprint For Sale Great History!!

KSGerry

Lloyd Shores-Built Sprint Car...The #5 "Doc" Ely Sprinter driven by Harold Reynolds.

A piece of Michigan motorsports history. It is a Sprint car built by the late Lloyd Shores, was owned by Howard "Doc" Ely of Battle Creek and driven by the late Harold Reynolds. This car is nearly complete and in as-raced condition from the early 1980s. Send me an email for a complete set of photos.

Car is priced at $8000. which includes the engine (not original except for bolt-on parts) and all spare parts...vintage Speedway Weld wheels, tires, gears, etc.

Gerry Dedonis
dedonis@kans.com
Kansas Antique Racer's Association
Kansas Auto Racing Museum http://www.kansasautoracingmuseum.org
RacingHistory Discussion Group http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/racinghistory/
416 North Oak Street
Solomon, Kansas 67480

Photograph Of Sprint Car...

Notable History...

In 1978 the car was first owned and driven by Billy Joe Havens. It was pearl white with a crimson red #1. The driver never ran the car to it's potential. Howard "Doc" Ely bought the car and completely rebuilt it with better, safer components...brake lines, fuel lines, halon fire system, etc. Doc Ely painted the car it's present silver metallic blue and numbered it "5" as that was where his son was ranked in World Karting points.

John Logan was the first driver until Doc teamed up with Harold Reynolds. Harold won the Feature in his first race driving for Doc...the prestigious Sam Sessions Memorial race at I-96 Raceway Park on September 9th 1978.
The team never finished lower than fifth place except once when the engine blew.

This car also was at the first ever World of Outlaws race held at Champaign, Illinois on April 14th 1979. There were 190 Sprint cars in attendance. The car did not make the "A" Feature.

Howard Ely sold the car to Art Cable in the 1980s then it was sold to Tom Hamilton. Both of those owners intended to make this car into a street rod. It was disassembled and remained untouched until purchased by me.

The driver, Harold Reynolds, was inducted into the Michigan Motorsports Hall Of Fame in 2005

Attachments

• HaroldReynolds.jpg
    HaroldReynolds.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 272

Back