Voges’ Day one not to forget

jdearing

Administrator
Staff member
BY MARVIN HOLMAN

OAKWOOD — Sue Voges has never really had much of an interest in racing before this weekend.

But the Illinois State Trooper may have had a change of heart after Sunday’s action at Vermilion county Speedway, where the night was named after her.

Voges, who has battled breast cancer for eight years, not only got to met Nextel Cup driver Ken Schrader and Kenny Wallace and had the whole day taped for the reality TV show “One Good Turn,” she also got the opportunity to drive on the track during intermission.

“It is just a tremendous day and it has been very well,” Voges said. “I was just never into racing and even though I don’t really know the racers, it was great to meet them.”

If Schrader and Wallace gave Voges any tips during their meeting, it paid off when she stepped into a hornet car and defeated Kris Bolt, who is a deputy for the Champaign Sheriff’s office.

“Kris is a NASCAR fan and he knows a lot about racing,” Voges said. “Let’s just say I am not going to give up my day job.”

The whole day was filled with pink, with pink t-shirts on sale to benefit the Mills Breast Cancer Institute in Champaign and Voges herself wore a pink helmet during the race.

The cameras for the show were all around VCS and were there from the start of the day at noon, where there was a performance by the Tony Truscelli Band and a special appearance by Danville Mayor Scott Eisenhauer before the races began.

“For everyone to come out like this has been very awesome,’ Voges said. “It has been something I will not forget.”

“One Good Turn” shows racers and communities joining together to help one of their own. The show is being shopped around for the fall television season.

Back