What do you think a B-mod / Sport Mod is?

Jimmy Cummins

CEO, Cummins Lumber Co.
I was talking to a friend about this and thought it was a really good question. No need to argue, just post on here what you think a B-Mod / Sport Mod should be as far as rules and cost. I get the idea that most people want complete full blown A-Mods with steel heads and a 2 barrel carb. Maybe this would help the tracks see what people want or think they want.

Farmington b mod rules are easy to tech if u have a bunch rules no track enforces them so why no have rules where all u have to do is check no roller and make sure the carb is legal check tires and you are done

B/mod sport mod is an interductory class to full blown A mod so u can get the feel of a modified with less hp, less cost, suspensions are similar were u learn how to adjust car what makes it better what makes it worse 3 link lets u have bars that aren't being moved to add traction every time u come off track small hp motor lets u learn to drive car and get a great feel for what ur doing I asked a pretty accomplished A mod driver what he thought and his reply was I forgot how good a modified can drive with less hp just my take on the subject

I think 500 2bbl across the board. Iron heads, flat tappet cam, hard tires, no spoilers. 2400 lbs. Maybe no 4 links? Let the A mods keep the spoilers to help differentiate between A & B mods.

You need to have 4 bar that way people learn And can move up no 360 cubic inch rule I spent more on a 360 than the 414 we are having built

And look at the crate late models all the light weight stuff they are buying to keep the rotating weight done most of the have more in there rollers than a super car so what did they save by creating A crate class for them facts are doesn't matter what the rules are guys who spend the money are going to win or give them selves a better chance

Steel heads, flat tappet, 500 2bbl carb, 9inch rear, no spoiler, hard tire. Easy to actually tech unlike these crate motors that don't get teched at all. Idk what u got against these current TCS rules, the 3link crates are dominating the 4link big motors....they have a 200 lb weight advantage AND can run 4-bbl's...those crates are making 350hp, so when these guys cheat them up what are they making? Close to 400? So with the gauge legal 2bbl the big motors aren't at that much of advantage, especially in the slick...the carb and weight compensates plenty for any advantage, I think that's been proven.

The tech is where it is no one in this area will enforce tge rules so don't make a class when u are not going to enforce the rules I know a sportsman the ran a air gap intake all year a no one looked at it that was something easy to find

a mid priced way to go racing--really not a cheap class but a class that most can afford--when they first started at hi-land n b-town I was not fond of them but after doing well that first year I became a fan--at the onset the powers to be should have used allied sportsman motor rules--that would have kept the cost down a bit although you can sped more on a 350 than a 400---the crate Bs seem to do well but I hope the UMP does not mandate them as it would be a blow to the lower bux guys---I would not let the weight go under 2500--seems that the 4 bar and 3 link are on a par as far as wins go locally--what the powers to be need to do is make sure this class stays SOMEWHAT affordable----as we all know RACING AINT CHEAP--------JMO lenny garson

No spoiler, 3 link, steel heads, flat tappet cams, stamped rockers, 1 tire compound. Only allow 2 kind of trans and certain fly wheels. Keep the class an entry level class and low budget. It will make for some great racing.

also tech the cars every race, especially the top 5 of the feature, actually enforce what ever rules they decide on. period end of story

I agree with Joshthejet90. TCS has got it right. I say keep the 4 bar cars because most of the b mod guys should eventually be in an A mod so I think it would be nice to know your rear suspension when you get there an only have to adjust to the horsepower difference. Plus this is the rules package that is gonna keep car counts up. Has any other track had 40-50 cars for a regular show this year? The only change I see needed is TECH THE RULES! I have not seen valve covers or distributors pulled one time this year. Only seen carbs checked twice. JMO

I can see already that most of you are already wanting pages and pages of rules and keeping the price of racing a B-Mod expensive on top of it....Tracks do not want to tech so why not keep this class easy on tech.......Open motor and choke it with a 2b rochester or have a restrictor plate made that must be installed to race...3 link or leafs would be a good to see

B mods have been around since st charles speedway the rules tri city has are good rules all the talk about big motors and 4 bar cars is crazy you can only put so much fuel through a gauge legal 500 holley and your worried about 4 bar cars having an advantage put a shock rule on everyone

This is fairly simple in my mind u want 4 bar they have a class for that u want a big motor they have a class for that now take ur A Mod back were it belongs u want to play with the b mods get a 9 inch on 3 link easy to look under car and see what's there I'm willing to be flexible on motor to a point no 400 blocks 2 barrel carb flat tappet cam and most of it can be checked visually pull a distributor to check for roller cam and check carbs fairly simple as far as crates u want a weight break then u run a 2 barrel simple

In some places they run a 390 holley 2bbl Want to make it all even there you go I like the one tire compound no spoilers Still say 4 bbl crates outpower a 355 but then you have the crate guys demanding it doesnt i say whatever carb rule is across the board Dont like it dont run the crate Makes it easier for tech too

Back