In the 50-lap main event Steve took the lead on lap two from Brad Neat. Steve then held the point until Brian Birkhofer, who started fourth grabbed the lead momentarily from Steve on lap six, but one circuit later, Steve was back in front. Steve would hold what looked like a commanding lead until lap 22 when Birkhofer caught him and re-took the lead from him.
Birkhofer then went to win the race followed by two-time series champion, Scott Bloomquist. Steve would come home in third followed by Jimmy Owens and John Blankenship. It was the best finish of the season for Steve on the LOLMDS tour and that performance has vaulted him into fifth place in the championship point’s standings. Saturday’s race at La Salle (IL) Speedway was postponed to September 27th because of inclement weather.
Steve and the rest of the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series regulars will head to Batesville Motor Speedway in Locust Grove, AR for the Inaugural Bad Boy 98 this weekend. On Thursday Night, May 19th will be a special practice session, followed on Friday Night, May 20th with red Buck Cigar Time Trials and Heat races. On Saturday Night, May 21st will be the B-Mains followed by the $10,000 to win main event. The trophy for the winner will be a 2011 Chevrolet Camaro. Also a lucky fan in attendance will win a 2011 Ford Mustang.
For more information on this weekend’s racing action log onto www.batesvillemotorspeedway.net and www.lucasdirt.com.
Current Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series Championship Points Standings
1. Scott Bloomquist (Mooresburg, TN) – 1440
2. Jimmy Owens (Newport, TN) – 1300
3. Don O’Neal (Martinsville, IN) – 1265
4. Earl Pearson Jr. (Jacksonville, FL) – 1115
5. Steve Francis (Ashland, KY) – 1100
6. Mike Marlar (Winfield, TN) – 1080
7. Dale McDowell (Chickamauga, GA) – 1065
8. Bub McCool (Vicksburg, MS) – 1045
9. Dennis Erb Jr. (Carpentersville, IL) -1045
10. Brad Neat (Dunnville, KY) – 1040