WINSTON, Mo. (Aug. 25) – Johnny Scott wired the field Thursday night as the USMTS Modifieds made an encore appearance at the I-35 Speedway in Winston, Mo., for Round 9 of the Hunt for the USMTS Casey’s General Stores National Championship powered by Swan Energy.
The 21-year-old from Las Cruces, N.M., drew the pole position for the WIX Filters “A” Main, beat Kelly Shryock to the first corner at the drop of the green flag and then held on to score his fourth feature race win this season.
Shryock maintained the runner-up spot behind the 2010 Rookie of the Year from start to finish in the 40-lapper, while Dustin Boney garnered a third-place finish ahead of 2007 USMTS National Champion Jason Krohn.
Zack VanderBeek finally broke through for his first top-5 finish during ‘The Hunt’ and put an extra $100 bill in his pocket by earning the Mesilla Valley Transportation Hard Charger Award. He started 17th on the 24-car grid and passed 12 cars.
Jon Tesch was sixth to make it nine top-10s in nine ‘Hunt’ races so far, Al Hejna came home in seventh, 15-year-old Rookie of the Year contender Lucas Schott turned in his best performance of the post-season title chase with an eight-place result.
Oklahomans Dereck Ramirez and Jason Hughes rounded out the top 10 finishers.
Hughes, the defending USMTS National Champion, finished one spot ahead of points leader Ryan Gustin, who suffered his worst result of the championship campaign. Gustin was the winner at the I-35 Speedway earlier this spring and Hughes finished second that night.
Mechanical problems in his heat race put Gustin in the rear of the Real Racing Wheels “B” Main, where he worked his way to the front to earn the 19th starting spot in the main event.
Gustin had worked into the top 10 near the midway point of the race when contact between him and Tommy Myer sent both drivers to the back of the pack. Gustin battled his way back to an 11th-place finish and Myer rebounded to 15th.
On Friday, race fans will see the debut of the USMTS Modifieds at the historic Cedar County Raceway in Tipton, Iowa, as America’s best Modified drivers make their inaugural visit to Al & Kathy Dlouhy’s high-banked quarter-mile oval.
The USMTS regulars will face a stiff challenge from the local contingent such as Ryan Dolan, Brad Dierks, Noah, Coppess, Chris Zogg and Bruce Hanford.
Gates open 5 p.m., hot laps start at 7 and the first heat race takes to the track at 7:30. Local 4-Cylinders, B-Mods, Hobby Stocks and Legends Cars will also be competing.
Tommy Myer and his #65 Cheetos Modified will be at the Casey’s General Store located at 1107 Cedar St. in Tipton from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Coupons good for $2 off adult grandstand admission will also be available at Casey’s stores in Mechanicsville, Muscatine and West Liberty.
The Cedar County Raceway is located at the west edge of Tipton on 9th St. (at the Cedar County Fairgrounds). For more information, call 563-886-2328 or visit www.cedarcountyraceway.net online.
On Saturday, the USMTS invades the Upper Iowa Speedway in Decorah, Iowa, for the 6th Annual Summer Challenge and the tenth race of the Hunt for the USMTS Casey’s General Stores National Championship powered by Swan Energy.
Pit gates open at 4 p.m. and the grandstand gates will swing open at 5. Hot laps are slated to begin at 6:30 and the first green flag waves at 7. Also on the racing card will be the Iron Man Challenge featuring USRA Stock Cars and USRA B-Mods plus USRA Hobby Stocks.
Dustin Boney and his #22 Snickers Modified will be at the Casey’s General Store located at 401 College Dr. in Decorah from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Coupons good for $2 off adult grandstand admission will be available at both Casey’s locations in Decorah plus Cresco and Waukon.
The Upper Iowa Speedway is a quarter-mile semi-banked clay oval located 1.8 miles east of US 52 on SR 9, then 1.0 mile northwest on Montgomery St., then northeast on E. Main St. (at the Winneshiek County Fairgrounds). For day-of-race information, call the track hotline at 563-382-9984 or check out www.upperiowaspeedway.com online.
To learn more about the United States Modified Touring Series, visit www.usmts.com online or call 515-832-7944. You can also follow the USMTS on Facebook, MySpace, Twitter and YouTube.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
The Hunt for the USMTS Casey’s General Stores National Championship powered by Swan Energy
I-35 Speedway, Winston, Mo.
Thursday, August 25, 2011
Showing finishing position, starting position in parentheses, car number, driver, hometown, chassis/engine builder, laps completed, reason out (if any) and money won. The top 16 drivers in passing points accumulated in the heat races are locked into the “A” Main, with the top 8 re-drawing for starting positions 1-8.
ISKY RACING CAMS HEAT RACE #1 (8 laps):
1. (6) 7k Jason Krohn, Slayton, Minn.
2. (3) 65 Tommy Myer, Blooming Prairie, Minn.
3. (2) 25 Ron Keith (R), Shawnee, Kan.
4. (1) 5c Don Crnkovich, Olathe, Kan.
5. (4) 11 Darren Shaw, Lathrop, Mo.
6. (8) 99 Martin Bennett, Ankeny, Iowa.
7. (7) 4d Shawn Lee, Spickard, Mo.
8. (5) 19r Ryan Gustin, Marshalltown, Iowa.
NEW VISION GRAPHICS HEAT RACE #2 (8 laps):
1. (2) 1st Johnny Scott, Las Cruces, N.M.
2. (1) 12 Jason Hughes, Watts, Okla.
3. (6) 20r Bryan Rowland, Woodward, Okla.
4. (3) 555 Ryan Ruter, Kanawha, Iowa.
5. (5) 67d Isaac Dotson, Lathrop, Mo.
6. (7) 20 Rodney Sanders, Happy, Texas.
7. (4) 5j John Schwab, Liberal, Kan.
EIBACH SPRINGS HEAT RACE #3 (8 laps):
1. (1) 14 Jon Tesch, Watertown, S.D.
2. (2) 7 Al Hejna, Clear Lake, Iowa.
3. (6) 69 Lucas Schott (R), Chatfield, Minn.
4. (3) 56 Chris Spieker, Massena, Iowa.
5. (5) 4r Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla.
6. (4) 85d Mark Dotson, Cameron, Mo.
7. (7) 31 Corey Dripps, Waterloo, Iowa.
PBM PERFORMANCE PRODUCTS HEAT RACE #4 (8 laps):
1. (1) 22 Dustin Boney, Platte City, Mo.
2. (3) 3 Kelly Shryock, Fertile, Iowa.
3. (2) 18 Chase Junghans, Manhattan, Kan.
4. (4) 22b Rick Beebe, Shawnee, Kan.
5. (7) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa.
6. (6) 55d Michael Dotson, Lathrop, Mo.
7. (5) 42 Sam Florence, Trimble, Mo.
REAL RACING WHEELS “B” MAIN (12 laps, top 8 advance):
1. (1) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa.
2. (6) 20 Rodney Sanders, Happy, Texas.
3. (13) 19r Ryan Gustin, Marshalltown, Iowa.
4. (4) 4r Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla.
5. (11) 31 Corey Dripps, Waterloo, Iowa.
6. (3) 67d Isaac Dotson, Lathrop, Mo.
7. (7) 85d Mark Dotson, Cameron, Mo.
8. (9) 4d Shawn Lee, Spickard, Mo.
9. (5) 99 Martin Bennett, Ankeny, Iowa, Skyrocket/Sput’s, $75.
10. (8) 55d Michael Dotson, Lathrop, Mo., Skyrocket/Walker, $75.
11. (12) 42 Sam Florence, Trimble, Mo., Allen/Yancy’s, $75.
12. (2) 11 Darren Shaw, Lathrop, Mo., Shaw/Yancy’s, $75.
13. (10) 5j John Schwab, Liberal, Kan., Ramirez/Cline, $90.
WIX FILTERS “A” MAIN (40 laps):
1. (1) 1st Johnny Scott, Las Cruces, N.M., Hughes/ASI, 40, $2000.
2. (2) 3 Kelly Shryock, Fertile, Iowa, Skyrocket/ProPower, 40, $1610.
3. (3) 22 Dustin Boney, Platte City, Mo., Hughes/Sput’s, 40, $1000.
4. (7) 7k Jason Krohn, Slayton, Minn., Hughes/Sput’s, 40, $900.
5. (17) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa, Skyrocket/Sput’s, 40, $1010.
6. (5) 14 Jon Tesch, Watertown, S.D., GRT/Sput’s, 40, $700.
7. (10) 7 Al Hejna, Clear Lake, Iowa, BC/JR, 40, $650.
8. (4) 69 Lucas Schott (R), Chatfield, Minn., Hughes/GMPP, 40, $600.
9. (20) 4r Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla., Hughes/ProPower, 40, $550.
10. (9) 12 Jason Hughes, Watts, Okla., Hughes/Mullins, 40, $500.
11. (19) 19r Ryan Gustin, Marshalltown, Iowa, Hughes/Mullins, 40, $560.
12. (23) 85d Mark Dotson, Cameron, Mo., GRT/KSE, 40, $425.
13. (18) 20 Rodney Sanders, Happy, Texas, Hughes/Geddes, 40, $510.
14. (8) 20r Bryan Rowland, Woodward, Okla., Hughes/ProPower, 40, $375.
15. (6) 65 Tommy Myer, Blooming Prairie, Minn., GRT/GMPP, 40, $400.
16. (15) 56 Chris Spieker, Massena, Iowa, IROC/PerfMach, 40, $300.
17. (16) 22b Rick Beebe, Shawnee, Kan., Hughes/Mullins, 40, $300.
18. (11) 25 Ron Keith (R), Shawnee, Kan., Hughes/Mullins, 40, $300.
19. (13) 5c Don Crnkovich, Olathe, Kan., Rocket/Sput’s, 40, $300.
20. (24) 4d Shawn Lee, Spickard, Mo., 40, $250.
21. (22) 67d Isaac Dotson, Lathrop, Mo., Skyrocket/Walker, 38, mechanical, $250.
22. (12) 18 Chase Junghans, Manhattan, Kan., GRT/Sput’s, 19, mechanical, $300.
23. (21) 31 Corey Dripps, Waterloo, Iowa, BC/Mullins, 18, mechanical, $300.
24. (14) 555 Ryan Ruter, Kanawha, Iowa, Sidebiter/Sput’s, 17, mechanical, $300.
(R) = Rookie of the Year contender.
Integra Lap Leader: Scott 1-40.
Total Laps Led: Scott 40.
Margin of Victory: 1.656 seconds.
AFCO Pole Winner: Krohn.
Mesilla Valley Transportation Hard Charger: VanderBeek (started 17th, finished 5th).
Next Race: Friday, Aug. 26, Cedar County Raceway, Tipton, Iowa.
National Championship Points: Gustin 923, Shryock 847, Tesch 789, Krohn 757, Hughes 756, Scott 743, VanderBeek 716, Boney 690, Myer 642, Sanders 613.
Rookie of the Year Points: Jason Grimes 1672, Keith Foss 1571, Schott 1539, Clyde Dunn Jr. 976, Jimmy Ray 971.
COMP Cams Engine Builder of the Year Points: Mullins 512, ProPower 419, Sput’s 385, ASI 229, Geddes 228.
Tiger Rear Ends Manufacturers Championship Points: Hughes 542, Skyrocket 476, GRT 377, BC 217, Sidebiter 137.
American Racer – Sanders.
CPD Racing Tools – not awarded.
Eibach Springs – Tesch.
Forty9Designs.com – Krohn, Ramirez.
Hooker Harness – Mark Dotson.
Integra Racing Shocks & Springs – Scott.
ISKY Racing Cams – Krohn.
The Joie of Seating – Hejna, Gustin.
KSE Racing Products – Rowland.
Marsh Racing Wheels – Ruter.
New Vision Graphics – Scott.
Nitroquest – Schwab.
Mesilla Valley Transportation – VanderBeek.
PBM Performance Products – Boney.
Real Racing Wheels – Schwab.
Ruter Farms – not awarded.
Wehrs Machine & Racing Products – Tesch.
WIX Filters – Scott.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
USMTS TITLE SPONSORS: Casey’s General Stores, Swan Energy.
USMTS OFFICIAL SPONSORS: American Racer Racing Tires, Awesome Race Suits, Cheetos, Intercomp, Karl Chevrolet, KEVKO Oil Pans & Components, New Vision Graphics, Nitroquest, RACEceiver, SLAP Energy, Snickers.
USMTS PARTICIPATING SPONSORS: Arnold Motor Supply, ASi Racewear, BRODIX Cylinder Heads, DAY Motor Sports, Dirthead.com, DirtKnights.com, Dirt Track Racing School, DrySlik Dirt Trak Racewear, Farm Boy BBQ Sauce, Intensitee Custom Racewear, Karl Performance Parts, Mesilla Valley Transportation, Olympic Fire Protection, Ramirez Race Cars, Ruter Farms, Schwab’s Tinker Shop, Sybesma Graphics, Yeager Machine.
USMTS CONTINGENCY SPONSORS: AFCO Racing Products, COMP Cams, CPD Racing Tools, Eibach Springs, Erson Cams, Fast Shafts, Forty9Designs.com, Genesis Shocks, Hooker Harness, Hypercoil Springs, ISKY Racing Cams, The Joie of Seating, KSE Racing Products, Marsh Racing Wheels, Out-Pace Racing Products, PBM Performance Products, Quarter Master, Real Racing Wheels, RHS – Racing Head Service, Tiger Rear Ends, Wehrs Machine & Racing Products, WIX Filters.