Stage Now Set For Saturday Night’s 19th Annual $100,000-To-Win Spectacular
ROSSBURG, OH – June 7, 2013 – Matt Miller of Whitehouse, Ohio, and Dennis Erb Jr. of Carpentersville, Ill., scored $5,000 triumphs in the Twin 25-lap features that highlighted the second preliminary program of the Dirt Late Model Dream XIX Presented by Ferris Commercial Mowers at Eldora Speedway.
Miller, 41, was victorious for the second consecutive night, remaining perfect for the DIRTcar UMP-sanctioned weekend with a powerful march to the checkered flag in the A-Main reserved for the evening’s odd-numbered qualifiers.
The 40-year-old Erb, meanwhile, outdueled Chris Madden of Gray Court, S.C., over the final five laps of the 25-lapper for even-numbered qualifiers to record his first win at the high-banked, half-mile oval since the October 2009 DIRTcar UMP Nationals.
Miller’s drive to victory in the first feature stamped him as a favorite to capture the $100,000 top prize in Saturday night’s 100-lap Dirt Late Model Dream by Ferris. He appeared even stronger than he did in winning a 25-lap preliminary event on Thursday night.
After bolting forward from the third starting spot to pass Steve Casebolt Jr. of Richmond, Ind., for the lead on lap three, Miller sailed away in veteran Buckeye State racer Rick Delong’s Rocket No. 3. He was never seriously challenged in a race that was slowed only twice by caution flags, on laps three and seven.
“This is pretty fun – I ain’t gonna lie to you,” said Miller, who won the Dream in 2005. “The car’s great and everything’s kind of working out right now. The car was better tonight, the track was slick and we’re getting a lot closer to where we need to be for 100 laps.”
Miller, who has started the Dream A-Main nine times since 2000, cruised across the finish line 2.175 seconds ahead of Newport, Tenn.’s Jimmy Owens, who started seventh and battled for the runner-up spot with Casebolt until finally grabbing the position on lap 21. Casebolt settled for third place after leading laps 1-3 from the outside pole, giving former Dream winners a sweep of the podium.
Josh Richards of Shinnston, W.Va., who won a preliminary feature on Thursday night, started from the pole position but slipped to fourth in the final rundown. Eighth-starter Brian Birkhofer of Muscatine, Iowa, finished fifth after overtaking Scott James of Bright, Ind., on lap 22.
In the nightcap, Erb surged from the seventh starting spot to second in just four laps and then spent most of the distance chasing down Madden. The former DIRTcar UMP Summer Nationals and national weekly points champion finally caught Madden on lap 19 and nosed ahead to lead the next circuit, but Madden refused to go down quietly and regained command on lap 22.
Erb made his deciding move moments later, ducking underneath Madden through turns one and two and flashing ahead down the backstretch. The driver long known as the ‘One Man Band’ was back in the lead as lap 23 was scored and beat Madden to the checkered flag by 1.127 seconds.
“We just kept plugging away,” said Erb, whose best finish in three career Dream A-Main starts is fifth, in 2012. “I had been running the middle most of the race, but I was looking around a little and one lap I dropped down and it stuck pretty good. Then I gained up on (Madden) and just stayed there.
“We swapped spots there a couple times, but I was able to stay down there on the bottom and get ahead of him and hold on.”
Erb is hopeful that Friday’s success can propel him to even greater joy on Saturday night.
“It feels real good,” Erb said of his Team Zero by Bloomquist car. “I’m just worried about starting spot (in a Saturday heat). We didn’t qualify well, but tonight we came out of the fourth row of the heat to qualify so hopefully we can be racy and move up in the heat race tomorrow and get in the (Dream).”
Madden, who started sixth, settled for second place after leading since lap two. He couldn’t quite match Erb’s speed through slower traffic.
“We were good in open track when we had all the clean air,” said Madden, who has started all but one Dream A-Main since 2004 and owns a top finish of fourth (2010). “Then we ran up on that lapped traffic, my car just got real free there at the end and we couldn’t hold on.”
Madden did turn back the last-lap challenge of Batesville, Ark.’s Billy Moyer, who finished third. Moyer started from the pole position and led the first lap, but he was penalized two positions for jumping a first-lap restart – after the only caution flag of the race, for a slap of the turns one and two wall by outside polesitter Mason Zeigler of Chalk Hill, Pa. – and didn’t climb back into serious contention until the final laps.
Don O’Neal of Martinsville, Ind., finished right behind Madden and Moyer in fourth, and third-starter Doug Drown of Wooster, Ohio, recovered from an early fall out of the top five to pass Dustin Neat of Campbellsville, Ky., for fifth on lap 15 and finish there.
Jonathan Davenport of Blairsville, Ga., was the fastest qualifier in Friday night’s multi-car time trials with a lap of 15.386 seconds. His circuit ended up being the fastest of the two nights of time trials, besting the lap turned on Thursday by Shane Clanton of Zebulon, Ga., by a mere .001 of a second.
With Saturday night’s six 15-lap Dream heat races aligned by each driver’s best lap time from the two rounds of qualifying, Davenport’s overall fast time earned him a visit to the Eldora stage during Friday’s program to spin the inversion wheel. It stopped on ‘6,’ giving him the sixth starting spot in Saturday’s first heat.
Among off-number qualifiers on Friday, heat-race winners were Richards, Casebolt, Miller and Tyler Reddick of DuQuoin, Ill., and the B-Mains were captured by Steve Francis of Ashland, Ky., and Jared Landers of Batesville, Ark. Even-number qualifier heat wins went to Moyer, Zeigler, Drown and Neat, while Jacob Hawkins of Fairmont, W.Va., and Bub McCool of Vicksburg, Miss., topped the B-Mains.
The Dirt Late Model Dream by Ferris will conclude on Saturday night. The first heat is scheduled to get the green flag at 7 p.m.
Fans can obtain tickets information for the Dream XIX by Ferris by going online to www.EldoraSpeedway.com or contacting the Eldora offices at 937-338-3815.
Fans who can’t make it to Eldora in person this weekend can still watch all the action live by purchasing the live Pay-Per-View video broadcast of all three nights of action that is available at www.EldoraSpeedway.com.
For more information on DIRTcar Racing, visit www.dirtcar.com.
Odd-Number Qualifiers Feature Finish (25 laps): 1. Matt Miller, 2. Jimmy Owens, 3. Steve Casebolt Jr., 4. Josh Richards, 5. Brian Birkhofer, 6. Scott James, 7. Jeep VanWormer, 8. Jonathan Davenport, 9. Tim McCreadie, 10. Jimmy Mars, 11. Andrew Reaume, 12. Steve Francis, 13. Brian Shirley, 14. Duane Chamberlain, 15. Gregg Satterlee, 16. Tim Rivers, 17. Dusty Moore, 18. Wayne Chinn, 19. Jeff Provinzino, 20. Tyler Reddick, 21. Scott Bloomquist, 22. Chris Simpson, 23. Chad Simpson, 24. Jared Landers
Even-Numbers Qualifiers Feature Finish (25 laps): 1. Dennis Erb Jr., 2. Chris Madden, 3. Billy Moyer, 4. Don O’Neal, 5. Doug Drown, 6. Jacob Hawkins, 7. Dale McDowell, 8. Randy Weaver, 9. Brandon Sheppard, 10. Donnie Moran, 11. Shannon Babb, 12. Bub McCool, 13. Shane Clanton, 14. Steve Shaver, 15. Billy Moyer Jr., 16. Greg Johnson, 17. Jeremy Payne, 18. Brandon Thirlby, 19. Dustin Neat, 20. Bobby Pierce, 21. Justin Chance, 22. Mason Zeigler, 23. Tim Fuller, 24. Darrell Lanigan
Dirt Late Model Dream by Ferris Time Trials Results (Unofficial):
1. 49-Jonathan Davenport/Blairsville, GA 15.386
2. 71d-Don O’Neal/Martinsville, IL 15.513
3. 23-John Blankenship/Williamson, WV 15.527
4. 44M-Chris Madden/Gray Court, SC 15.544
5. 20-Jimmy Owens/Newport, TN 15.549
6. 15b-Brian Birkhofer/Muscatine, IA 15.615
7. 14M-Morgan Bagley/Longview, TX 15.615
8. 1-Josh Richards/Shinnston, WV 15.681
9. 99Jr-Frankie Heckenast Jr./Orland Park, IL 15.681
10. 21-Billy Moyer/Batesville, AR 15.683
11. c9-Steve Casebolt Jr./Richmond, IN 15.705
12. 17-Shannon Thornsberry/Martin, KY 15.717
13. 3-Matt Miller/Whitehouse, OH 15.721
14. 63-Doug Drown/Wooster, OH 15.722
15. 11-Tyler Reddick/DuQuoin, IL 15.801
16. 18-Shannon Babb/Moweaqua, IL 15.808
17. 20c-Duane Chamberlain/Richmond, IN 15.825
18. 17M-Dale McDowell/Chickamauga, GA 15.842
19. 1g-Scott James/Bright, IN 15.847
20. 25z-Mason Zeigler/Chalk Run, PA 15.857
21. 28M-Jimmy Mars/Menomonie, WI 15.867
22. 19-Tim Fuller/Watertown, NY 15.887
23. 22-Gregg Satterlee/Rochester Mills, PA 15.893
24. 6-Dustin Neat/Campbellsville, KY 15.91
25. 1wc-Wayne Chinn/Bradford, OH 15.931
26. 41-Brad Neat/Dunnville, KY 15.956
27. 39-Tim McCreadie/Watertown, NY 15.963
28. 75-Terry Phillips/Springfield, MO 15.967
29. 5-Jared Landers/Batesville, AR 15.972
30. 20r-Jeremy Payne/Springfield, MO 15.978
31. 48-Tim Lance/Brimfield, IL 16.01
32. 116-Randy Weaver/Crossville, TN 16.018
33. 19-Chad Smith/Miamisburg, OH 16.03
34. 99M-Devin Moran/Dresden, OH 16.039
35. 15-Steve Francis/Ashland, KY 16.051
36. 555-Justin Coulter/Leamington, ONT 16.061
37. 0-Scott Bloomquist/Mooresburg, TN 16.069
38. 28e-Dennis Erb Jr./Carpentersville, IL 16.081
39. 25-Chad Simpson/Mt. Vernon, IA 16.084
40. 21Jr-Billy Moyer Jr./Batesville, AR 16.127
41. 16-Tyler Erb/Magnolia, TX 16.137
42. 55-Jeep VanWormer/Pinconning, MI 16.139
43. B5-Brandon Sheppard/New Berlin, IL 16.142
44. 3s-Brian Shirley/Chatham, IL 16.145
45. 20H-Jacob Hawkins/Fairmont, WV 16.154
46. 15-Greg Johnson/Bedford, IN 16.169
47. 93-Jay Johnson/W. Burlington, IA 16.227
48. 57J-Bub McCool/Vicksburg, MS 16.231
49. 32-Chris Simpson/Oxford, IA 16.234
50. 6-Steve Shaver/Vienna, WV 16.254
51. 28-Eddie Carrier Jr./Salt Rock, WV 16.288
52. 99-Donnie Moran/Dresden, OH 16.307
53. 75-Dusty Moore/Swanton, OH 16.311
54. 3-Russ Nicastri/Smithfield, NSW, AUS 16.318
55. 15-Jon Henry/Ada, OH 16.37
56. 360-Michael Asbury/Crossville, TN 16.377
57. 72-John Mason/Millersburg, OH 16.388
58. 21-Jason Montgomery/Jackson, OH 16.426
59. 89-Mike Spatola/Manhattan, IL 16.454
60. 25-Shane Clanton/Zebulon, GA 16.465
61. 32-Chad Stapleton/Edinburgh, IN 16.476
62. 32-Bobby Pierce/Oakwood, IL 16.478
63. 11-Ryan Sutter/Coldwater, OH 16.483
64. 29-Darrell Lanigan/Union, KY 16.544
65. 28-Jeff Provinzino/Hibbing, MN 16.654
66. 71c-R.J. Conley/Wheelersburg, OH 16.692
67. 46-Tim Rivers/Salem, IN 16.712
68. M14-Brandon Thirlby/Traverse City, MI 16.784
69. 11r-James Rice/Verona, KY 16.784
70. 31-Nick Latham/Winchester, OH 16.889
71. 88-Andrew Reaume/Blenheim, ONT 17.326
72. 11-Austin Hubbard/Seaford, DE 17.796
73. 18-Danny Mitchell/Clarksburg, WV 17.925
74. 4c-Ernie Cordier/Brodhead, KY 17.984
75. 33-Don Gordon/Chatham, ONT 18.144
76. 79-Shane Unger/Versailles, OH 18.537
77. 7R-Kent Robinson/Bloomington, IN N/T
1b-Jeff Babcock/Wayne, OH N/T
20J-Jerry Bowersock/Wapakoneta, OH N/T
18-Eric Wells/Hazard, KY N/T
44-Earl Pearson Jr./Jacksonville, FL N/T
8-Craig Smith/Brighton, IL N/T
2-Justin Chance/Lexington, OH N/T
25s-Jason Smith/Seymour, IN N/T
Odd-Number Qualifiers Heat 1 Finish (8 laps/top 4 transfer): 1. Josh Richards, 2. Jonathan Davenport, 3. Duane Chamberlain, 4. Wayne Chinn, 5. Chris Simpson, 6. Tyler Erb, 7. Jeff Provinzino, 8. Danny Mitchell, 9. John Mason, 10. Chad Smith (DNS) Jerry Bowersock
Odd-Number Qualifiers Heat 2 Finish (8 laps/top 4 transfer): 1. Steve Casebolt Jr., 2. Scott James, 3. Tim McCreadie, 4. Brian Shirley, 5. Tim Rivers, 6. Steve Francis, 7. Mike Spatola, 8. Don Gordon (DNS) John Blankenship, Eddie Carrier Jr., Earl Pearson Jr.
Odd-Number Qualifiers Heat 3 Finish (8 laps/top 4 transfer): 1. Matt Miller, 2. Jimmy Owens, 3. Scott Bloomqusit, 4. Jeep VanWormer, 5. Jared Landers, 6. Jimmy Mars, 7. Dusty Moore, 8. Chad Stapleton, 9. James Rice (DNS) Eric Wells
Odd-Number Qualifiers Heat 4 Finish (8 laps/top 4 transfer): 1. Tyler Reddick, 2. Brian Birkhofer, 3. Gregg Satterlee, 4. Chad Simpson, 5. Andrew Reaume, 6. Ryan Sutter, 7. Tim Lance (DNS) Jon Henry, Jason Smith, Jay Johnson
Odd-Number Qualifiers B-Main 1 Finish (10 laps/top 4 transfer): 1. Steve Francis, 2. Jeff Provinzino, 3. Tim Rivers, 4. Chris Simpson, 5. John Mason, 6. Mike Spatola, 7. Tyler Erb, 8. Danny Mitchell, 9. Chad Smith, 10. Don Gordon
Odd-Number Qualifiers B-Main 2 Finish (10 laps/top 4 transfer): 1. Jared Landers, 2. Jimmy Mars, 3. Andrew Reaume, 4. Dusty Moore, 5. Tim Lance, 6. Ryan Sutter, 7. Jon Henry
Even-Number Qualifiers Heat 1 Finish (8 laps/top 4 transfer): 1. Billy Moyer, 2. Don O’Neal, 3. Dale McDowell, 4. Brandon Sheppard, 5. Devin Moran, 6. Steve Shaver, 7. Jason Montgomery, 8. Ernie Cordier, 9. R.J. Conley (DNS) Brad Neat, Kent Robinson
Even-Number Qualifiers Heat 2 Finish (8 laps/top 4 transfer): 1. Mason Zeigler, 2. Chris Madden, 3. Donnie Moran, 4. Shane Clanton, 5. Jacob Hawkins, 6. Justin Chance, 7. Brandon Thirlby, 8. Terry Phillips, 9. Shannon Thornsberry, 10. Justin Coulter, 11. Shane Unger
Even-Number Qualifiers Heat 3 Finish (8 laps/top 4 transfer): 1. Doug Drown, 2. Dennis Erb Jr., 3. Tim Fuller, 4. Jeremy Payne, 5. Bobby Pierce, 6. Ross Nicastri, 7. Greg Johnson, 8. Nick Latham, 9. Morgan Bagley (DNS) Jeff Babcock
Even-Number Qualifiers Heat 4 Finish (8 laps/top 4 transfer): 1. Dustin Neat, 2. Shannon Babb, 3. Billy Moyer Jr., 4. Randy Weaver, 5. Bub McCool, 6. Darrell Lanigan, 7. Frankie Heckenast Jr., 8. Austin Hubbard, 9. Michael Asberry (DNS) Craig Smith
Even-Number Qualifiers B-Main 1 Finish (10 laps/top 4 transfer): 1. Jacob Hawkins, 2. Justin Chance, 3. Steve Shaver, 4. Brandon Thirlby, 5. Terry Phillips, 6. Devin Moran, 7. Shannon Thornsberry, 8. Justin Coulter, 9. Jason Montgomery, 10. Ernie Cordier, 11. R.J. Conley
Even-Number Qualifiers B-Main 2 Finish (10 laps/top 4 transfer): 1. Bub McCool, 2. Darrell Lanigan, 3. Bobby Pierce, 4. Greg Johnson, 5. Frankie Heckenast Jr., 6. Michael Asberry, 7. Jeff Babcock, 8. Austin Hubbard, 9. Nick Latham, 10. Morgan Bagley, 11. Ross Nicastri