BRASSTOWN, NC (April 10) – Mike Marlar took the lead from Billy Ogle Jr. on lap five to lead the remaining distance for his first-career Old Man’s Garage Spring Nationals Series by Schaeffer’s Oil victory on Thursday Night April 10th at Tri-County Race Track in Brasstown, NC.
The Winfield, Tenn. driver earned $4,000 for his efforts while driving the Ronnie Delk Owned, Cornett Racing Engines powered Rocket Chassis. Marlar’s sponsors include Delk Equipment, R&S Trading and VP Race Fuels. This was Marlar’s first win at the Ray-Cook-promoted oval in his first visit.
FK Rod Ends Fast Timer Marlar and Ogle led the field of 22 to the start for the 40-lapper with Ogle taking to the point and the early lead. The yellow would wave before a lap would be completed because of a false start. This would bunch the field up again for the restart. Ogle would then jump to the point with Marlar in hot pursuit. The next yellow flag would wave on lap one as Joe Armistead, Jr. would come to a stop in turn one. By lap four, Marlar would catch Ogle and make the pass coming off of turn four on the fifth lap to take the lead. On lap five the yellow would fly as Victor Lee and Donald McIntosh made contact in turn four and came to a stop. The lap-16 yellow flag would wave as Ray McElhiney made contact with Austin Smith in turn one. The final yellow would wave as David Payne slammed the wall in turn two after jumping the cushion.
Marlar would lead the remaining distance and go on to the payday over fourth starting Shane Clanton. Dale McDowell, Casey Roberts and 13th starting Michael Chilton would round of the remaining five.
Racing returns on April 17, 18 and 19 with three nights of Old Man’s Garage Spring Nationals Series by Schaeffer’s Oil with Thursday action at 201 Speedway in Sitka, Ky then Friday Night at Ponderosa Speedway in Junction City, Ky and Saturday Night for the 38th Annual Spring 50 at Florence Speedway in Union, Ky.
Further information on the Old Man’s Garage Spring Nationals Series by Schaeffer’s Oil can be viewed online at www.southernnationalsseries.com .
Official Summary of Results
Old Man’s Garage Spring Nationals by Schaeffer’s Oil
Round # 4 of 2014 season
Tri-County Race Track-Brasstown, NC
Thursday Night April 10, 2014
1. Mike Marlar-Winfield, Tenn.
2. Shane Clanton-Zebulon, Ga.
3. Dale McDowell-Chickamauga, Ga.
4. Casey Roberts-Toccoa, Ga.
5. Michael Chilton-Salvisa, Ky.
6. Stacy Boles-Clinton, Tenn.
7. Brent Dixon-Elberton, Ga.
8. Johnny Chastain-Murphy, NC
9. Jason Welshan-Maryville, Tenn.
10. Billy Ogle Jr.-Knoxville, Tenn.
11. Kenny Collins-Colbert, Ga.
12. Joe Denby-Tullahoma, Tenn.
13. Randy Nichols-Young Harris, Ga.
14. David Payne-Murphy, NC
15. Victor Lee-Danville, Ky.
16. Aaron Ridley-Chatsworth, Ga.
17. Austin Smith-Cedartown, Ga.
18. George Mashburn-Murphy, NC
19. Danny Ledford-Warne, NC
20. Ray McElhiney-Pulaski, Tenn.
21. Donald McIntosh-Dawsonville, Ga.
22. Joe Armistead Jr.-Senoia, Ga.
FK Rod Ends $100 Fast Time: Mike Marlar-12:572 seconds
Last Chance Heats/10 Laps/Top-4 Transfer
Last Chance Heat-1 Finish: Casey Roberts, Ray McElhiney, Kenny Collins, Aaron Ridley, Eddie Blackmon, Gabe Wilson, Victor Lee, Kayne Hickman (DNS)
Last Chance Heat-2 Finish: Jason Welshan, Michael Chilton, Brent Dixon, Danny Ledford, Michael Barnett, Gus Simpson, Benji Shaw, Shawn Chastain (DNS)
Last Chance Heat-3 Finish: Joe Armistead Jr., Joe Denby, Johnny Chastain, George Mashburn, Austin Smith, Andy Morris, Ronnie Payne (DNS), Jamie Oliver (DNS)
Series Provisionals: Austin Smith and Victor Lee
Lap Leaders: Ogle (1-4); Marlar (5-40)
Lead Changes: One
Cautions: Five (laps 0, 1, 5, 16, 36)
Red Flags: None
Time of Race: Twenty-Five Minutes, 30 seconds.
Current Championship Points (after April 10, 2014)
1. Mike Marlar-584 (Winfield, Tenn.)
2. Billy Ogle, Jr.-568 (Knoxville, Tenn.)
3. Stacy Boles-558 (Clinton, Tenn.
4. Michael Chilton-550 (Salvisa, Ky.)
5. Casey Roberts-548 (Toccoa, Ga.)
6. Donald McIntosh-526 (Dawsonville, Ga.)
7. David Payne-516 (Murphy, NC)
8. Austin Smith-508 (Cedartown, Ga.)
9. Victor Lee-502 (Stanford, Ky.)
9. Kenny Collins-502 (Colbert, Ga.)
Upcoming Spring Nationals Series events:
Thursday April 17/201 Speedway/Sitka, Ky./$4,000 to win
Friday April 18/Ponderosa Speedway/Junction City, Ky./$4,000 to win
Saturday April 19/Florence Speedway/Union, Ky./$5,000 to win
Thursday May 8/Duck River Raceway Park/Wheel, Tenn./$4,000 to win
Friday May 9/Boyd’s Speedway/Ringgold, Ga./$4,000 to win
Saturday May 10/Dixie Speedway/Woodstock, Ga./$6,000 to win
2014 Spring Nationals Series Event Winners:
Jimmy Owens-Volunteer Speedway March 14th
Chris Madden-Volunteer Speedway March 15th
Billy Ogle Jr.-Smoky Mountain Speedway April 5th
Mike Marlar-Tri-County Race Track April 10th