LANSING, Minn. (May 23) — In a nail-biting finish that had the fans on their feet, Brandon Davis edged Clayton Wagamon at the finish of a 40-lap classic USMTS Casey’s Cup feature Friday night at the Chateau Raceway.
Davis, who has now won three of the last five United States Modified Touring Series main events at the 3/8-mile clay oval, stayed patient running the bottom of the racing surface while he closed in on Wagamon over the last 15 laps.
“I saw the bottom was getting clean so I figured guys were running there,” Davis said. “The top was really fast in (turns) one and two, and the top was really crappy in three and four, and that’s where I was gaining my time and I was losing some in one and two.”
Wagamon was flawless since taking control at the drop of the green flag, but Davis snuck underneath Wagamon and a lapped car to pull off a three-wide pass out of the fourth turn to lead lap 35.
Two laps later, Wagamon was again the first to race past the flagstand, but a swarm of lapped cars were directly ahead of the leaders.
The pair caught the back-markers and Davis again edged in front as the white flag waved.
Wagamon fought back in the next corner, but was thwarted by slower traffic and was forced to tuck in behind Davis, who carried the momentum into the final corner and nipped Wagamon by two car-lengths at the finish line.
“It just worked out perfectly where the lapped cars slowed down the guys enough for me to get up to them,” Davis declared in victory lane. “From then it was a battle of who got the right line at the end of the race.
“There’s no way I would have got him. The top was just a little bit faster, and if the traffic at the end there would’ve been on the bottom it would be Clayton standing here right now. He didn’t make any mistakes and drove a hell of a race.”
While Wagamon held on for a USMTS career-best runner-up finish, Thursday night’s Farm Boy BBQ Sauce Northern Region opener winner, Zack VanderBeek, made a late-race pass to edge Johnny Scott for third.
VanderBeek was the fastest car on the track in the closing laps, cutting down a full straight-away separation from Scott in the last five laps.
Polesitter Daniel Hilsabeck fought an ill-handling racecar, but managed to hang on for a fifth-place finish while Dereck Ramirez, Craig Thatcher, Stormy Scott, Jason Miller and Nate Wasmund rounded out the top ten finishers.
Stormy Scott had a rough start to the evening, but passed a dozen of his fellow drivers in the main event to earn the Mesilla Valley Transportation Hard Charger Award.
On Saturday, the 12th Annual A&A Electric Minnesota Spring Challenge will be staged at the Deer Creek Speedway in Spring Valley, Minn., with the Iron Man Challenge featuring USRA Stock Cars and USRA B-Mods plus WISSOTA Super Stocks and Street Stocks to round out the program.
Pit gates open at 3 p.m., grandstand gates open at 4, hot laps begin at 5:30 and racing starts at 6 p.m. Adult tickets are $18, kids ages 12 and under are $5 and pit passes are $30.
The Memorial Day Weekend wraps up Sunday, May 25, at the Upper Iowa Speedway in Decorah, Iowa.
Comprising 12 events in 25 days, the Farm Boy BBQ Sauce Northern Region will be a flurry of action with most of the top open wheel dirt modified pilots in the region, and from around the country, tackling some of the most prestigious now-thawed speedplants in America.
To learn more about the United States Modified Touring Series, visit www.usmts.com online or call 515-832-7944. You can also like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/usmts, follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/usmts or check out our YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/usmtstv.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
United States Modified Touring Series
USMTS Casey’s Cup powered by Swan Energy – Farm Boy BBQ Sauce Northern Region presented by Day Motor Sports
Chateau Raceway, Lansing, Minn.
Friday, May 23, 2014
Showing finishing position, starting position in parentheses, car number, driver, hometown, chassis/engine builder, laps completed and money won. The top 12 drivers in passing points accumulated in the heat races are locked into the “A” Main, with the top 8 re-drawing for starting positions 1-8.
C&R RACING HEAT RACE #1 (8 laps):
1. (1) 50iii Brandon Davis, Medford, Minn.
2. (2) 110 Jason Miller, Osceola, Wis.
3. (4) R Ron Ver Beek, Oskaloosa, Iowa.
4. (6) 20r Bryan Rowland, Woodward, Okla.
5. (3) 95 Keith Foss, Winona, Minn.
6. (8) J17 Jake Gallardo (R), Las Cruces, N.M.
7. (7) 96 Greg Jensen, Albert Lea, Minn.
8. (5) 51 Chris Oertel, Marshfield, Wis.
JRi SHOCKS HEAT RACE #2 (8 laps):
1. (2) 14w Clayton Wagamon, Blaine, Minn.
2. (1) 22d Daniel Hilsabeck, Waukee, Iowa.
3. (4) 4r Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla.
4. (5) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa.
5. (6) 29h Joe Horgdal, Kasson, Minn.
6. (3) 1k Pat Graham, Ames, Iowa.
7. (7) 23k Darwin Karau, Kasson, Minn.
8. (8) 2 Casey Arneson (R), Fargo, N.D.
EDELBROCK HEAT RACE #3 (8 laps):
1. (1) 1st Johnny Scott, Las Cruces, N.M.
2. (6) 54 Jeremy Houle (R), Ham Lake, Minn.
3. (2) 72 Doug Hillson, Blooming Prairie, Minn.
4. (4) 3 Kelly Shryock, Fertile, Iowa.
5. (7) IOU1 Brent Larson (R), Lake Elmo, Minn.
6. (3) 33x Adam Hensel, Baldwin, Wis.
7. (5) 4a Joel Alberts, Mantorville, Minn.
PBM PERFORMANCE PRODUCTS HEAT RACE #4 (8 laps):
1. (2) 91 Craig Thatcher, Knapp, Wis.
2. (3) 52w Nate Wasmund, Rochester, Minn.
3. (1) 10 Austin Arneson (R), Fargo, N.D.
4. (5) 45 Todd Scharkey, Kasson, Minn.
5. (4) 2s Stormy Scott, Las Cruces, N.M.
6. (6) V2 Joey Jensen, Harris, Minn.
7. (7) 02 Jacob Dahle, Morristown, Minn.
REAL RACING WHEELS “B” MAIN #1 (12 laps, top 5 advance):
1. (1) 20r Bryan Rowland, Woodward, Okla.
2. (2) 45 Todd Scharkey, Kasson, Minn.
3. (4) 95 Keith Foss, Winona, Minn.
4. (5) J17 Jake Gallardo (R), Las Cruces, N.M.
5. (6) 33x Adam Hensel, Baldwin, Wis.
6. (8) 4a Joel Alberts, Mantorville, Minn., GRT/Action, $90.
7. (9) 51 Chris Oertel, Marshfield, Wis.
8. (7) 96 Greg Jensen, Albert Lea, Minn., BC/KSE, $90.
9. (3) IOU1 Brent Larson (R), Lake Elmo, Minn.
REAL RACING WHEELS “B” MAIN #2 (12 laps, top 5 advance):
1. (1) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa.
2. (2) 3 Kelly Shryock, Fertile, Iowa.
3. (6) V2 Joey Jensen, Harris, Minn.
4. (4) 2s Stormy Scott, Las Cruces, N.M.
5. (9) 2 Casey Arneson (R), Fargo, N.D.
6. (7) 23k Darwin Karau, Kasson, Minn., Killer/Flyin’J, $90.
7. (8) 02 Jacob Dahle, Morristown, Minn., Hughes/Sput’s, $90.
8. (5) 1k Pat Graham, Ames, Iowa, Skyrocket/Karl, $90.
9. (3) 29h Joe Horgdal, Kasson, Minn., GRT/Action, $90.
CASEY’S GENERAL STORES “A” MAIN (40 laps):
1. (4) 50iii Brandon Davis, Medford, Minn., GRT/KSE, 40, $2000.
2. (2) 14w Clayton Wagamon, Blaine, Minn., Hughes/Wagamon, 40, $1500.
3. (14) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa, LG2/Sput’s, 40, $1000.
4. (6) 1st Johnny Scott, Las Cruces, N.M., Ramirez/ProPower, 40, $900.
5. (1) 22d Daniel Hilsabeck, Waukee, Iowa, Hughes/Mullins, 40, $800.
6. (10) 4r Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla., Ramirez/ProPower, 40, $700.
7. (7) 91 Craig Thatcher, Knapp, Wis., GRT/TriStar, 40, $650.
8. (20) 2s Stormy Scott, Las Cruces, N.M., LG2/ProPower, 40, $600.
9. (3) 110 Jason Miller, Osceola, Wis., GRT/Anderson, 40, $550.
10. (8) 52w Nate Wasmund, Rochester, Minn., GRT/Action, 40, $500.
11. (18) V2 Joey Jensen, Harris, Minn., GRT/Tim’s, 40, $450.
12. (16) 3 Kelly Shryock, Fertile, Iowa, Skyrocket/ASI, 40, $425.
13. (13) 20r Bryan Rowland, Woodward, Okla., LG2/ProPower, 40, $400.
14. (9) R Ron Ver Beek, Oskaloosa, Iowa, Skyrocket/Midstate, 40, $250.
15. (15) 45 Todd Scharkey, Kasson, Minn., Skyrocket/Sput’s, 40, $250.
16. (24) IOU1 Brent Larson (R), Lake Elmo, Minn., Shaw/Tim’s, 40, $300.
17. (12) 10 Austin Arneson (R), Fargo, N.D., MasterSbilt/Mullins, 39, $300.
18. (19) J17 Jake Gallardo (R), Las Cruces, N.M., LG2/AOS, 39, $300.
19. (22) 2 Casey Arneson (R), Fargo, N.D., MasterSbilt/Mullins, 39, $300.
20. (11) 72 Doug Hillson, Blooming Prairie, Minn., Skyrocket/Sput’s, 39, $300.
21. (17) 95 Keith Foss, Winona, Minn., Skyrocket/Grove, 30, $300.
22. (21) 33x Adam Hensel, Baldwin, Wis., MasterSbilt/Hill, 17, $300.
23. (23) 51 Chris Oertel, Marshfield, Wis., GRT/Butch’s, 14, $300.
24. (5) 54 Jeremy Houle (R), Ham Lake, Minn., MBCustom/Speedwerx, 3, $300.
(R) = Rookie of the Year contender.
Lap Leaders: Wagamon 1-34, Davis 35-36, Wagamon 37-38, Davis 39-40.
Total Laps Led: Wagamon 36, Davis 4.
Margin of Victory: 1.019 seconds.
Provisional Starters: Oertel, Larson.
Sybesma Graphics Pole Award: Houle.
Mesilla Valley Transportation Hard Charger: S. Scott (started 20th, finished 8th).
Next Race: Saturday, May 24, Deer Creek Speedway, Spring Valley, Minn.
Farm Boy BBQ Sauce Northern Region Points: VanderBeek 194, Ramirez 172, S. Scott 171, J. Scott 168, Wagamon 164, Hilsabeck 162, Shryock 155, Jensen 144, Rowland 142, Gallardo 140.
Rookie of the Year Points: Gallardo 1698, Adam Penn 1036, Cade Dillard 825, Dylan Smith 795, Shane Sprinkle 775.
COMP Cams Engine Builder of the Year Points: ProPower 203, Sput’s 195, Geddes 148, Mullins 124, AOS 108.
Manufacturers Championship Points: LG2 209, MBCustom 188, Ramirez 174, GRT 151, Hughes 125.
American Racer – Thatcher.
Beyea Custom Headers – Alberts.
Brass Monkey Racing Products – Gallardo.
C&R Racing – Davis.
Edelbrock – J. Scott.
FK Rod Ends – not awarded.
Forty9Designs.com – C. Arneson.
Fuel Safe – Ramirez.
GRT Race Cars – Davis.
Hooker Harness – Rowland.
JRi Shocks – Wagamon.
KEVKO Oil Pans & Components – Miller.
Keyser Manufacturing – Wasmund.
Marsh Racing Wheels – Oertel.
Mesilla Valley Transportation – S. Scott.
MSD Ignition – Davis, Wagamon.
PBM Performance Products – Thatcher, Davis.
Power Lift Racing Products – A. Arneson.
Real Racing Wheels – all non-qualifiers.
Sybesma Graphics – Houle.
VP Racing Fuels – Davis.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
USMTS OFFICIAL SPONSORS: American Racer Racing Tires, AMP Energy, Casey’s General Stores, Chix Gear, COMP Cams, Day Motor Sports, Farm Boy BBQ Sauce, Intercomp, KEVKO Oil Pans & Components, MSD, Nitroquest Media Group, RACEceiver, RacinDirt.com, Snickers, SpiderWeb Modular Storage Solutions, Swan Energy, VP Racing Fuels.
USMTS PARTICIPATING SPONSORS: Arizona Sport Shirts, ASi Racewear, BRODIX Cylinder Heads, Double H Bands, ElbowsUp.com, Erson Cams, Integra Racing Shocks & Springs, Major League Bowhunter, Mesilla Valley Transportation, New Vision Graphics, Olympic Fire Protection, Penn Transport, Road Runner Crane, Road Runner Trucking, S&S Fishing & Rental, United Cellular Services.
USMTS CONTINGENCY SPONSORS: AFCO Racing Products, Bell Racing Helmets, Beyea Custom Headers, Brass Monkey Racing Products, C&R Racing, CPD Racing Tools, Edelbrock, Fast Shafts, FK Rod Ends, Forty9 Designs, Fuel Safe, Genesis Racing Shocks, GRT Race Cars, Hooker Harness, JRi Shocks, Keyser Manufacturing, KSE Racing Products, Marsh Racing Wheels, PBM Performance Products, Power Lift Racing Products, Quarter Master, Real Racing Wheels, Sybesma Graphics, Tiger Rear Ends.