GREENWOOD, Neb.-Rodney Sanders extended his United States Modified Touring Series win streak to six Saturday night as the 24-year-old from Happy, Texas, completed the weekend sweep of the Silver Dollar Nationals for the second year in a row.
After coming from the eighth starting spot on Friday night to capture the $3,000 victory, Sanders had to claw his way from the 12th starting position to collect the $4,000 top prize on Saturday in front of a standing-room-only crowd at the I-80 Speedway.
Early in the 40-lap main event Rookie of the Year contender Dylan Smith appeared poised to capture his first USMTS win, leading the first 21 laps and slowly pulling away from the field.
However, the former IMCA national champ suffered a flat tire and pulled to a stop on the track to bring out the race’s second caution.
Terry Phillips inherited the lead for the restart with Zack VanderBeek, Jason Hughes and Sanders in tow.
While Phillips churned away at the thick cushion around the high side of the 4/10-mile of clay, Sanders used the low groove to pick off Hughes on lap 22 and then VanderBeek on lap 26.
Sanders slowly reeled in Phillips and the two put on a nail-biting performance for the next ten laps before Sanders crossed the start-finish line as the leader for the first time on lap 37.
The defending USMTS national champion held on for the final eight left-handers to garner his second win of the weekend, sixth in a row, 15th of the season and 33rd of his career while Phillips reluctantly settled for the runner-up paycheck for the second straight night.
VanderBeek and Hughes held on for third and fourth, respectively.
The thrilling race for the lead may have caused most in attendance to miss the stellar do-over runs by Smith and Stormy Scott, who spun on lap 3 and restarted at the rear of the field.
Although the box scores show that Smith and Scott started the feature race in the second and third slots, both drivers bounced back from earlier incidents and raced from the back of the pack to finish fifth (Scott) and sixth (Smith).
Not to be outdone, Kelly Shryock came from 17th to take seventh, Thomas Tillison Jr. was eighth, Mesilla Valley Transportation Hard Charger Award winner Adam Penn came from 21st to finish ninth and John Allen rounded out the top 10.
Prior to his eighth win in the region, Sanders clinched the Major League Bowhunter Central Region points title-and the $5,000 that goes with it-when he took the green flag in his heat race.
Finishing second through tenth in the final regional points were VanderBeek, Smith, Stormy Scott, Shryock, Daniel Hilsabeck, Dereck Ramirez, Johnny Scott, Austin Siebert and Joe Duvall.
Bryan Rowland, Trevor Hunt, John Allen, Rick Beebe, Lance Town and Darron Fuqua also punched their tickets to the USMTS Hunt for the Casey’s National Championship powered by Swan Energy.
The month of July wraps up Thursday, Friday and Saturday, July 24-26, as the USMTS joins forces with the United States Racing Association (USRA) for the 4th Annual World Modified Dirt Track Championship at the Deer Creek Speedway in Spring Valley, Minn., with no less than $17,000 going to the winner of Saturday’s 100-lap main event.
From there, the ‘The Hunt’ begins on Friday, Aug. 1, at the Batesville Motor Speedway near Locust Grove, Ark.
To learn more about the United States Modified Touring Series, visit www.usmts.com online or call 515-832-7944. You can also like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/usmts, follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/usmts or check out our YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/usmtstv.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
United States Modified Touring Series
USMTS Casey’s Cup powered by Swan Energy – Major League Bowhunter Central Region presented by Day Motor Sports
4th Annual Silver Dollar Nationals – Night 2 of 2
I-80 Speedway, Greenwood, Neb.
Saturday, July 19, 2014
Showing finishing position, starting position in parentheses, car number, driver, hometown, chassis/engine builder, laps completed and money won. The top 12 drivers in passing points accumulated in the heat races were locked into the “A” Main, with the top 8 re-drawing for starting positions 1-8.
C&R RACING HEAT RACE #1 (8 laps):
1. (1) 85 Thomas Tillison Jr., Wellston, Okla.
2. (3) 98 John Allen, Chanute, Kan.
3. (5) 99h Trevor Hunt, Kearney, Mo.
4. (2) 1s Scott Carlson, Council Bluffs, Iowa.
5. (7) 70 Jesse Dennis, Prescott, Iowa.
6. (6) R21 Farrel Skelton, Tom Bean, Texas.
7. (4) 18a Ryan Schaffer, Corning, Iowa.
8. (8) 87 Darron Fuqua (R), Mayetta, Kan.
JRi SHOCKS HEAT RACE #2 (8 laps):
1. (2) 2s Stormy Scott, Las Cruces, N.M.
2. (3) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa.
3. (1) 91 Joe Duvall, Claremore, Okla.
4. (4) 3 Kelly Shryock, Fertile, Iowa.
5. (5) 31j Jeremy Rasmussen, Bella Vista, Ark.
6. (6) 89 Josh Most (R), Red Oak, Iowa.
7. (7) 72 Mike Lineberry, Waterloo, Neb.
8. (8) 10j Josh Cooper, Prescott, Iowa.
EDELBROCK HEAT RACE #3 (8 laps):
1. (2) 75g Jordan Grabouski, Beatrice, Neb.
2. (5) 12 Jason Hughes, Watts, Okla.
3. (4) 22B Rick Beebe, Shawnee, Kan.
4. (6) 5* Casey Penn, Shreveport, La.
5. (8) 21t Lance Town (R), Louisburg, Kan.
6. (7) 1* Adam Penn (R), Shreveport, La.
7. (3) 2 Grant Junghans, Manhattan, Kan.
8. (1) 16 Austin Siebert, Grandview, Mo.
PBM PERFORMANCE PRODUCTS HEAT RACE #4 (8 laps):
1. (1) 75 Terry Phillips, Springfield, Mo.
2. (2) 95 Dylan Smith (R), Osceola, Neb.
3. (4) 4R Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla.
4. (7) 20 Rodney Sanders, Happy, Texas.
5. (6) 1st Johnny Scott, Las Cruces, N.M.
6. (5) 22d Daniel Hilsabeck, Waukee, Iowa.
7. (3) 99 Martin Bennett, Ankeny, Iowa.
REAL RACING WHEELS “B” MAIN #1 (10 laps, top 5 advance):
1. (1) 91 Joe Duvall, Claremore, Okla.
2. (4) 1st Johnny Scott, Las Cruces, N.M.
3. (3) 3 Kelly Shryock, Fertile, Iowa.
4. (2) 21t Lance Town (R), Louisburg, Kan.
5. (5) 1* Adam Penn (R), Shreveport, La.
6. (9) 87 Darron Fuqua (R), Mayetta, Kan.
7. (6) 89 Josh Most (R), Red Oak, Iowa.
8. (7) 18a Ryan Schaffer, Corning, Iowa, LG2/Mullins, $100.
9. (8) 2 Grant Junghans, Manhattan, Kan., Fast Master/Sput’s, $100.
10. (10) 16 Austin Siebert, Grandview, Mo.
REAL RACING WHEELS “B” MAIN #2 (10 laps, top 5 advance):
1. (4) 31j Jeremy Rasmussen, Bella Vista, Ark.
2. (2) 1s Scott Carlson, Council Bluffs, Iowa.
3. (6) 22d Daniel Hilsabeck, Waukee, Iowa.
4. (1) 5* Casey Penn, Shreveport, La.
5. (3) 70 Jesse Dennis, Prescott, Iowa.
6. (7) 72 Mike Lineberry, Waterloo, Neb.
7. (8) 99 Martin Bennett, Ankeny, Iowa, Skyrocket/Sput’s, $100.
8. (9) 10j Josh Cooper, Prescott, Iowa, Sidebiter/Klein, $80.
9. (5) R21 Farrel Skelton, Tom Bean, Texas, IROC/Midstate, $80.
CASEY’S GENERAL STORES “A” MAIN (40 laps):
1. (12) 20 Rodney Sanders, Happy, Texas, MBCustom/Geddes, 40, $4000.
2. (4) 75 Terry Phillips, Springfield, Mo., GRT/Hatfield, 40, $2200.
3. (8) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa, LG2/Sput’s, 40, $1500.
4. (7) 12 Jason Hughes, Watts, Okla., Hughes/Mullins, 40, $1100.
5. (3) 2s Stormy Scott, Las Cruces, N.M., LG2/ProPower, 40, $950.
6. (2) 95 Dylan Smith (R), Osceola, Neb., Jet/Woods, 40, $850.
7. (17) 3 Kelly Shryock, Fertile, Iowa, Skyrocket/ASI, 40, $750.
8. (5) 85 Thomas Tillison Jr., Wellston, Okla., Hughes/Geddes, 40, $700.
9. (21) 1* Adam Penn (R), Shreveport, La., Hughes/Mullins, 40, $650.
10. (1) 98 John Allen, Chanute, Kan., GRT/Hatfield, 40, $600.
11. (11) 4R Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla., Ramirez/Cornett, 40, $550.
12. (13) 91 Joe Duvall, Claremore, Okla., MBCustom/Mullins, 40, $500.
13. (20) 5* Casey Penn, Shreveport, La., Hughes/Mullins, 40, $450.
14. (18) 22d Daniel Hilsabeck, Waukee, Iowa, Hughes/Mullins, 40, $425.
15. (26) 89 Josh Most (R), Red Oak, Iowa, Edge/RHR, 40, $400.
16. (9) 99h Trevor Hunt, Kearney, Mo., GRT/Spanel, 40, $375.
17. (19) 21t Lance Town (R), Louisburg, Kan., Hughes/Driskell, 40, $350.
18. (25) 72 Mike Lineberry, Waterloo, Neb., Harris/Roberts, 40, $250.
19. (15) 1st Johnny Scott, Las Cruces, N.M., Ramirez/Cornett, 25, $300.
20. (14) 31j Jeremy Rasmussen, Bella Vista, Ark., TRE/Donrich, 25, $250.
21. (10) 22B Rick Beebe, Shawnee, Kan., MBCustom/Mullins, 25, $300.
22. (6) 75g Jordan Grabouski, Beatrice, Neb., GRT/Hatfield, 22, $300.
23. (16) 1s Scott Carlson, Council Bluffs, Iowa, BMS/DW, 21, $250.
24. (24) 87 Darron Fuqua (R), Mayetta, Kan., Venom/Driskell, 17, $300.
25. (22) 70 Jesse Dennis, Prescott, Iowa, Skyrocket/Midstate, 14, $250.
26. (23) 16 Austin Siebert, Grandview, Mo., GRT/Mullins, 8, $300.
(R) = Rookie of the Year contender.
Lap Leaders: Smith 1-21, Phillips 22-36, Sanders 37-40.
Total Laps Led: Smith 21, Phillips 15, Sanders 4.
Margin of Victory: 0.939 second.
Provisional Starters: Siebert, Fuqua, Lineberry (track), Most (track).
Sybesma Graphics Pole Award: S. Scott.
Mesilla Valley Transportation Hard Charger: A. Penn (started 21st, finished 9th).
Next Race: Thursday-Saturday, July 24-26, Deer Creek Speedway, Spring Valley, Minn.
Major League Bowhunter Central Region Points (final): Sanders 1165, VanderBeek 1100, Smith 954, S. Scott 922, Shryock 815, Hilsabeck 810, Ramirez 809, J. Scott 743, Siebert 737, Duvall 697.
Rookie of the Year Points: Jake Gallardo 1736, A. Penn 1436, Smith 1298, Cade Dillard 1188, Shane Sprinkle 874.
COMP Cams Engine Builder of the Year Points: ProPower 337, Sput’s 323, Geddes 295, Mullins 221, ASI 158.
Tiger Quick Change Manufacturers Championship Points: LG2 369, MBCustom 346, Ramirez 290, GRT 278, Hughes 236.
American Racer – Smith.
Beyea Custom Headers – Smith.
Brass Monkey Racing Products – not awarded.
C&R Racing – Tillison.
Edelbrock – Grabouski.
FK Rod Ends – Most.
Forty9Designs.com – Hilsabeck, J. Scott.
Fuel Safe – Smith.
GRT Race Cars – Siebert.
Hooker Harness – C. Penn.
JRi Shocks – S. Scott.
KEVKO Oil Pans & Components – A. Penn.
Keyser Manufacturing – Allen.
Marsh Racing Wheels – Fuqua.
Mesilla Valley Transportation – A. Penn.
MSD Ignition – Sanders, Phillips.
PBM Performance Products – Phillips, Sanders.
Power Lift Racing Products – Town.
Real Racing Wheels – Schaffer, Junghans, Bennett.
Sybesma Graphics – S. Scott.
VP Racing Fuels – Sanders.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
USMTS OFFICIAL SPONSORS: American Racer Racing Tires, AMP Energy, Casey’s General Stores, Chix Gear, COMP Cams, Day Motor Sports, Farm Boy BBQ Sauce, Intercomp, KEVKO Oil Pans & Components, MSD, Nitroquest Media Group, RACEceiver, RacinDirt.com, Snickers, SpiderWeb Modular Storage Solutions, Swan Energy, VP Racing Fuels.
USMTS PARTICIPATING SPONSORS: Arizona Sport Shirts, ASi Racewear, BRODIX Cylinder Heads, Double H Bands, ElbowsUp.com, Erson Cams, Integra Racing Shocks & Springs, Major League Bowhunter, Mesilla Valley Transportation, New Vision Graphics, Olympic Fire Protection, Penn Transport, Road Runner Crane, Road Runner Trucking, S&S Fishing & Rental, United Cellular Services.
USMTS CONTINGENCY SPONSORS: AFCO Racing Products, Bell Racing Helmets, Beyea Custom Headers, Brass Monkey Racing Products, C&R Racing, CPD Racing Tools, Edelbrock, Fast Shafts, FK Rod Ends, Forty9 Designs, Fuel Safe, Genesis Racing Shocks, GRT Race Cars, Hooker Harness, JRi Shocks, Keyser Manufacturing, KSE Racing Products, Marsh Racing Wheels, PBM Performance Products, Power Lift Racing Products, Quarter Master, Real Racing Wheels, Sybesma Graphics, Tiger Rear Ends.