May 15, 2016
by: Dean Reichel
The third night of Sunday Night Thunder 2016 is in the books and saw some new winners gracing victory lane and some familiar faces as well. Jonathan Cornell continued his mastery of the 1/4 mile clay by claiming his second victory of the season in the Winged Sprint Car division. The Sedalia, MO wheel man started on the pole alongside Corey Nelson and Cornell would win the drag race into turn one taking a lead he would not relinquish. Nelson would give chase the entire but was overcome by fifth starting Cody Baker who would run down Cornell but came up short of making the pass for the lead and settled for second at the finish. Nelson would finish third, Zach Daum claimed fourth and Tyler Blank recovered from a heat race flip to finish a strong fifth. Cornell and Nelson claimed the heat race victories.
Some fan favorites at Double-X made their first appearances at the track this season. A new face graced victory lane as Harlan Dowell of Tipton claimed the victory. Dowell held off the hard charging Steve Beach as the two veteran drivers raced each other hard for the entire main event. Andrew Roark had a strong run to take third, Clayton Campbell was tight on Roark’s rear bumper to finish fourth and Derek Henson claimed fifth. Beach and Dowell claimed the heat race victories. Two time winner Cole Henson saw his chance for a three peat go away after a spin in turn four on lap one saw him bang the inside wall and sustain enough damage to end his feature event.
The Hobby Stock feature saw Rudy Wirts claim victory number three for the season. Wirts passed veteran Mike Schrader on lap four to secure the victory. Laura Atkinson ran a great race to claim second, Chris Brockert finished a strong third, Schrader was credited with fourth and Katie Goodson earned fifth. Schrader won the lone heat race in the class.
The 600cc Micro Sprint class featured four cars but they are four of he strongest drivers in the division. Kansas City, MO shoe Jackson Frisbie claimed the victory over hard charging Kameron Key. Nick Rasa claimed third and Kyle Schlotz was fourth. Frisbie also claimed the heat race.
Racing continues every Sunday night. Be sure to keep up to date by following the Double-X Speedway Fan Page on Facebook. Thanks to everyone who has been in the stands and the pits so far this season and we hope to see you back each and every week for Sunday Night Thunder.
Double-X Speedway Results-
May 15, 2016
Winged Sprint Cars-
1. 28- Jonathan Cornell, Sedalia; 2. 38-Cody Baker, Lone Jack; 3. 34-Corey Nelson, Eugene; 4. 75K-Zach Daum, Pocohontas,IL; 5. 75-Tyler Blank, California; 6. 93-Taylor Walton, Warrensburg; 7. 48-Miles Paulus, Marshall; 8. 75E-Broc Elliott, California; 9. 8-Jeff Wingate, Centertown; 10. 56H-Dean Hathman, Columbia; 11. 41-Scott Comstock, Prairie Home; 12. 8X-John Manley, California; 13. 49B-Ben Brown, Marshall (DNS)
1. Cornell; 2. Paulus; 3. Baker; 4. Walton; 5. Manley; 6. Comstock; 7. Elliott (DNS)
1. Nelson; 2. Daum; 3. Wingate; 4. Hathman; 5. Brown (DNF); 6. Blank (DNF)
1. 29-Harlan Dowell, Tipton; 2. 10-Steve Beach, Eldon; 3. H3-Andrew Roark, Henley; 4. 30C-Clayton Campbell, Otterville; 5. 27D-Derek Henson, Russellville; 6. 7-Evan Hays, California; 7. 29D-Destiney Dowell, Tipton; 8. 52J-James Keeran, California; 9. 43-Joe Miller, Centertown (DNF); 10. 8-John Clancy, Jr., California; 11. 31C-Cole Henson, Russellville (DNF)
1. Beach; 2. C. Henson; 3. Campbell; 4. Clancy,Jr.; 5. Roark; 6. Hays
1. H. Dowell; 2. D. Henson; 3. Miller; 4. Keeran; 5. D. Dowell
1. 2X-Rudy Wirts, California; 2. 4A-Laura Atkinson, Eldon; 3. 82-Chris Brockert, Versailles; 4. 11-Mike Schrader, Sedalia (DNF); 5. 15-Katie Goodson, Sedalia; 6. 10-Curtis Schaeffer, Lincoln;(DNF) 7. 171-Chuck Coffey, Windsor (DNF); 8. 84-Jeremiah Wallingford, Prairie Home (DNF)
1. Schrader; 2. Coffey; 3. Brockert; 4. Goodson; 5. Wirts; 6. Atkinson; 7. Wallingford; 8. Schaeffer
600cc Micro Sprints-
1. 38-Jackson Firisbie, Kansas City, MO; 2. 7JR- Kameron Key, Warrensburg; 3. 26B-Nick Rasa, Marshall; 4. 749-Kyle Schlotz, Jefferson City
1. Jackson; 2. Key; 3. Rasa; 4. Schlotz