June 2, 2019
By: Dean Reichel
B Mod Mania hits Double-X Speedway! The featured event on the card at the “Little Dirt Track at the edge of Town” were the B Modifieds on Sunday evening. In a nod to “Getting Back to our Roots” at Double-X in 2019, modified cars competed at the speedway for the first two seasons as a weekly class, and it was a welcome addition to the cars this week. A true gathering was on tap as drivers from across the state came to challenge the ¼ mile clay.
Two heat races would set the feature lineup in all divisions on the evening. In the Super Stock Division leading off it was perennial hard charging veteran John Clancy picking up the win over Dakota Girard and Brandon Hays. The second heat saw veteran Dale Berry lead green to checker in taking the win over Joe Miller and Collin Parmer. In the Hobby Stocks the first heat Rick Girard picked up the win over Chuck Coffey and Jeremiah Wallingford. After a wild first lap ended with a safety caution a second failed attempt led to the third time being the charm, Kyle Smith took his Mopar to the front and covered the field with Dakota Girard second and Kevin Prall third.
The featured class of B Modifieds contested the third set of heat races for the evening. Cody Brill put his car on the top shelf against the cushion and picked up the win. Adam Hall charged from sixth to finish second and Dayton Newell was third. Heat two saw veteran Chad Staus pick up the win over Mitchell Franklin in second and Cole Campbell in third. 360 Winged Sprints rounded out the heat race portion of the evening. In heat one Riley Kreisel made a strong pass over Ben Brown to take the lead on lap 1. A lap three caution brought the field to his rear bumper with “veteran” Tyler Blank in third. One lap later Blank was in second and hunting the lead. Kreisel was able to run the cushion and pick up the win, Blank was second and Ben Brown was third. Heat two saw Taylor Walton on the pole with Broc Elliott joining him on the front row. Walton rode the low groove to victory, edging Ayrton Gennetten by half a car at the stripe. Kyle Bellm finished third.
The Super Stock Feature saw veterans John Clancy and Dale Berry starting on the front row and Berry would take the early lead by running the top, Clancy would challenge on the bottom and Joe Miller was right behind Berry in third. A lap two caution bunched the field and lined them up single file behind the leaders. On the restart another yellow collected four cars. Collin Parmer would retire on the hook to the pit area. On the restart Joe Miller wasted no time moving to the front of the field. Dakota Girard settled into second with the rest of the field scrambling for position on the track. Brandon Hays made his way into third with four laps remaining the running order stayed the same. Joe Miller put the #409 in victory lane for the second time this season at Double-X. Following Miller under the checkered flag were Dakota Girard in second, John Clancy in third, Evan Hays in fourth and Mark Davis completing the top five. Brandon Hays was sixth, John Ketterer seventh, Tyler Blank eighth, Dale Berry ninth, Kyler Girard tenth and Collin Parmer eleventh.
In the Hobby Stock class Rick Girard and Kyle Smith brought the field to the green flag and Smith jumped to the lead. Girard would spin out in turn two bringing out a caution. On the restart Chuck Coffey would out duel Smith to lead lap one before Smith would take the lead on lap two. A red flag came out on lap four as John Canada hit the inside barrier in turn one. He was checked out by medical personnel as a precaution. On the restart, mechanical gremlins hit the 171 of Chuck Coffey and the 0 of Dakota Girard, both losing rear wheels on the same lap bringing out another caution. Kyle Smith brought them to green with a misfire in his engine allowing Mike Schrader to take over the top spot with Rick Girard challenging. On lap 9 Girard passed for the lead. At the checkered it was Rick Girard in first place, Matt Smith finishing second in his first night at the track, Mike Schrader held on for third. Rounding out the field were Kyle Smith fourth, Dakota Girard fifth, Chuck Coffey sixth, Josh Clark seventh, Chris Kammerich eighth, John Canada ninth, Jeremiah Wallingford tenth and Kevin Prall eleventh.
B Mod Mania was the next feature on the track. 15 laps for $500 to win. Heat race winners Cody Brill and Chad Staus were on the front row. At the drop of the green Chad Staus used the high line to take the advantage with Brill staying right with him on the low side. Behind the leaders the action was also quite intense with Mitchell Franklin, Cole Campbell and Adam Hall racing hard in the top five. Repeated spins by the 88R of Robin Showers slowed the field. When racing resumed Staus was still at the point with Brill racing him hard for the lead. With five laps remaining the running order remained the same with Cole Campbell venturing to the high side to try to advance at the same time Brill tried the top also. At the checkered flag Staus earned the victory by keeping his drive on the bottom flawless. Brill earned a hard fought second, Mitchell Franklin was third, exciting Cole Campbell was fourth and Adam Hall completed the top five. Dalton Newell drove a steady race to place sixth, Donnie Jackson seventh, Tyler Wood eighth, Leroy Morrison was ninth and Cale Turner finished tenth. Richard Brainard, Don Randall and Chris Brockway completed the field.
360 Winged Sprint Cars have been the premier class at Double-X since the day it opened and they are loved by fans. For the feature event youth started at the front with Riley Kreisel and Taylor Walton on the point. After two consecutive yellow flags one for Mackenzie Borcher and the second for Riley Kreisel, it became the Taylor and Tyler show at the front of the field. Taylor Walton using the bottom and Tyler Blank following on the restart, it took Blank going lower than Walton in turn one on lap six to take the lead. Ayrton Gennetten would pass Walton on lap seven to move into the number two spot. A lap ten caution negated a pass by Gennetten for the lead. Resetting the field with Blank Gennetten, Walton, Bellm and Kreisel in the top five. Over the remaining laps Blank would keep his car as straight as possible in the corners to maintain the lead. A slip over the top of turn 4 for Genetten on lap twenty would let Bellm move into second. At the checkered Blank picked up the victory, Bellm was second, Gennetten finished third, Taylor Walton finished fourth and Ben Brown completed the top five. In sixth at the flag was Broc Elliott, seventh was Mackenzie Borchers, Lanny Carpenter eighth, Samuel Wagner ninth, and Timmy Smith completed the top ten. Riley Kreisel and Kaitlyn Boland completed the field.
Please make plans to be with us next week for the Dylan Bias Memorial race featuring the Street Stocks racing for added purse. Be sure to keep up with results and schedules at www.doublexspeedway.com.
June 16th the POWRi non wing sprints will be back and on June 23 is the Old Timers and Legends night.
Double X Speedway
June 2, 2019
- 409-Joe Miller, Centertown; 2. 0-Dakota Girard, Moberly; 3. 8-John Clancy, California; 4. 7-Evan Hays, California; 5. 56-Mark Davis, Grovespring; 6. 54-Brandon Hays, California; 7. 90-John Ketterer, Treloar; 8. 2-Tyler Blank, California; 9. 05-Dale Berry, Tuscumbia; 10. 00X- Kyler Girard, Moberly; 11. 7C-Collin Parmer, Ste. Genevieve.
- Clancy; 2. D. Girard; 3. B. Hays; 4. E. Hays; 5. Ketterer; 6. K. Girard
- Berry; 2. Miller; 3. Parmer; 4. Davis; 5. Blank
- 14X-Rick Girard, Moberly; 2. 97-Matt Smith, Columbia; 3. 11-Mike Schrader, Sedalia; 4. 11K- Kyle Smith, Stover; 5. 0-Dakota Girard, Moberly; 6. 171-Chuck Coffey, Windsor; 7. 57-Josh Clark, Columbia, 8. Chris Kammerich, Pilot Grove; 9. 32-John Canada, Fulton; 10. 84-Jeremiah Wallingford, Prairie Home; 11. 14-Kevin Prall, Sedalia.
- R. Girard; 2. Coffey; 3. Wallingford; 4. Kammerich; 5. Schrader; 6. Clark (DNS)
- K. Smith; 2. D. Girard; 3. Prall; 4. M. Smith; 5. Canada (DNS)
- C3-Chad Staus, Otterville; 2. 96-Cody Brill, Harrisonville; 2. F1-Mitchell Franklin, Camdenton; 4. 22C-Cole Campbell, Mexico; 5. 574-Adam Hall, Columbia; 6. 83-Dayton Newell, Stoutland; 7. 42J-Donnie Jackson, Lebanon; 8. 796-Tyler Wood, Harrisonville; 9. 50-Leroy Morrison, Raymore; 10. 66-Cale Turner, Fulton; 11. 3B-Richard Brainard, Sedalia; 12. 5R-Don Randall, Washington; 13.88R-Robin Showers, Eldon; 14. 03B-Chris Brockway, Knob Noster
- Brill; 2. Hall; 3. Newell; 4. Jackson; 5. Showers; 6. Randall; 7. Brainard
- Staus; 2. Franklin; 3. Campbell; 4. Turner; 5. Wood; 6. Brockway; 7. Morrison
360 Winged Sprint Cars
- 75-Tyler Blank, California; 2. 14K-Kyle Bellm, Nixa; 3. 3-Ayrton Gennetten, Gravois Mills; 4. 93-Taylor Walton, Warrensburg; 5. 49B-Ben Brown, Marshall; 6. 75E-Broc Elliott, California; 7. 43-Mackenzie Borchers, Marshall; 8. 24-Lanny Carpenter, Clarksburg; 9. 73-Samuel Wagner, Lone Jack; 10. 86-Timmy Smith, Rocheport; 11. 91-Riley Kreisel, Warsaw; 12. 15K-Kaitlyn Boland, Columbia
- Kreisel; 2. Blank; 3. Brown; 4. Wagner; 5. Boland; 6. Smith
- Walton; 2. Gennetten; 3. Bellm; 4. Brown; 5. Elliott; 6. Carpenter (DNS)